• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not getting the horn...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tradition doesn't have to mean you made it up or invented it.

It's obviously a custom. A really stupid one, but it's theirs and they're entitled to it.
That's fair enough, and I have no problem with people talking about it that way. But I've heard some people speak about them as if they've been around for generations and that we're complaining about a long-held tradition. Something made of plastic cannot have been around that long.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Vuvuzelas are apparently a 4.4 million pound industry in SA now, and there are vested interests at play behind resisting any ban.

Craig

World Traveller
Reading in today's paper that in a bank in SA, 20 workers decided amongst themselves when South Africa would score in the WC opener against Mexico if SA scored, and run out onto the street and and blow the vuvuzela, only their boss wasn't in the know. So they did as per agreement, and all had their employment terminated.

Another one blew the vuvuzela right in somebodies ear and was quite rightly sacked. WAC.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reading in today's paper that in a bank in SA, 20 workers decided amongst themselves when South Africa would score in the WC opener against Mexico if SA scored, and run out onto the street and and blow the vuvuzela, only their boss wasn't in the know. So they did as per agreement, and all had their employment terminated.

Another one blew the vuvuzela right in somebodies ear and was quite rightly sacked. WAC.
It's a lawsuit waiting to happen, if it hasn't already.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, yeah. Noticed it, but thought it was obvious enough that it didn't need mentioning. Thank god Murphy's here.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Unless plastic's been around in South Africa much longer than it has in the rest of the world, I don't see how you can use the tradition argument with regard to vuvuzelas.
If it was a South Africa tradition you'd also surely hear them at rugby (or indeed, cricket, etc.) games too - and I've never heard one at a rugby match in South Africa before. Though then again, if a $4 piece of plastic is tradition, who am I to argue that... :happy:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have realised over the last couple of days I've actually now tuned them out. Only really notice them when they go quiet or some cheering/jeering is audible above them.

Still don't make them right tho; I'm sure if I were kicked in the cods every day I'd get used to it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh:
At least England fans won't have to listen to the vuvuzelas after Wednesday, so they can stop complaining about it then....
:cool:
God you're annoying, I'll be sure to dig this again after Wednesday's victory though

Oh and btw I didn't realise that if we did go out it meant we weren't allowed to watch any other games?

pasag

RTDAS
Have realised over the last couple of days I've actually now tuned them out. Only really notice them when they go quiet or some cheering/jeering is audible above them.

Still don't make them right tho; I'm sure if I were kicked in the cods every day I'd get used to it.
Reckon people are getting used to it because the TV stations are turning down the crowd volume.

Scaly piscine

I haven't. Still a ****ing stupid and annoying noise. I'll be cheering every African side that gets knocked out because of it, starting with Cameroon just now.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely been a lowering of the crowd volume by broadcasters since the start of the tournament, so they're more tolerable. Shame too, since the crowd and atmosphere is one of the best things about the sport.

cpr

International Coach
I'm actually starting to like them now, purely because everyone watching on TV is kicking up such a fuss over them.

Its your usual noisy stadium, just a different noise to what we are used to.

grecian

Oh FFS< someones blowing one just outside my place now, ****ING ****-WIPES:@

I can turn down the volume on the TV, this is a brand new hell.