• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No world cup would be complete without it....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Capitalism. The 'World Cup Ball™' sells.
So introduce it a month after the last WC is over. That way teams have four years to get used to it. Whining or not, isn't it completely legitimate to complain that the most important piece of equipment on the field changes right before the most important event of many of these players lives?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I dunno about other countries, but the Bundesliga used the ball all season and the Danish teams had the opportunity. I think Nike make the Premiership balls here, so they wouldn't be able to bring them in in England.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So introduce it a month after the last WC is over. That way teams have four years to get used to it. Whining or not, isn't it completely legitimate to complain that the most important piece of equipment on the field changes right before the most important event of many of these players lives?
When I over-hit a cross, I don't blame it on the ball, I blame it on the fact I'm ****.

Suggest the players start doing the same.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm not saying it's a valid excuse as all teams have the same ball - but the fact is why change something so fundamental to something players are not used to? Surely that has an effect on the overall quality of play?

Even the most minor of changes would have big ramifications at this level.

Matteh

I'm not saying it's a valid excuse as all teams have the same ball - but the fact is why change something so fundamental to something players are not used to? Surely that has an effect on the overall quality of play?

Each league has different ball rights with people like Nike/Mitre/Adidas/Puma and so on. So the guys in the Premiership play with a different ball to the guys in Spain/Germany/Italy and so on. Need a World Cup ball precisely so they do have the same ball and a level playing field.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Its not like they were all playing with the same ball before the world cup, though. The tournament needs a standard ball, and they have to adapt no matter what.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Each league has different ball rights with people like Nike/Mitre/Adidas/Puma and so on. So the guys in the Premiership play with a different ball to the guys in Spain/Germany/Italy and so on. Need a World Cup ball precisely so they do have the same ball and a level playing field.
Not only that, but the Jabulani has been used at the FIFA World Club Cup, the African Cup of Nations, has been available to use in the Bundesliga (which doesn't have a matchball sponsor, so Adidas sponsored teams have had the option of using it in home games), the MLS, Argentinian Clausura and the latter stages of the Scottish Cup.

It's not like the ball has been brought in cold, it's been used reasonably extensively throughout the last 6 months.

grecian

Not only that, but the Jabulani has been used at the FIFA World Club Cup, the African Cup of Nations, has been available to use in the Bundesliga (which doesn't have a matchball sponsor, so Adidas sponsored teams have had the option of using it in home games), the MLS, Argentinian Clausura and the latter stages of the Scottish Cup.

It's not like the ball has been brought in cold, it's been used reasonably extensively throughout the last 6 months.
Has it been used at altitude?

Sorry, I've lived through all these nonsense ball-scare stories, but this time it doesn't seem to be bull****. Most forward balls are being over-hit, almost all free-kicks seem to be blasted over the bar, and the ball seems very hard to control. Some dipping when it's hit low, too, but I don't mind that. Keepers should be able to handle that if their technique is good.

Maybe the players will adjust as the tourney goes on, but so far there's been about two good goals, everything else seems basic mistakes or set pieces.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Has it been used at altitude?

Sorry, I've lived through all these nonsense ball-scare stories, but this time it doesn't seem to be bull****. Most forward balls are being over-hit, almost all free-kicks seem to be blasted over the bar, and the ball seems very hard to control. Some dipping when it's hit low, too, but I don't mind that. Keepers should be able to handle that if their technique is good.

Maybe the players will adjust as the tourney goes on, but so far there's been about two good goals, everything else seems basic mistakes or set pieces.
Not sure how high grounds are in the US or Argentina.

If there's a problem then it's more down to altitude than the ball. There will be less resistance so the ball will travel through the air further and bounce higher - that would be an issue even if you used the Nike balls that are used in the Premiership or La Liga, or even the Adidas Finale ball used in the Champions League.

grecian

Not sure how high grounds are in the US or Argentina.

If there's a problem then it's more down to altitude than the ball. There will be less resistance so the ball will travel through the air further and bounce higher - that would be an issue even if you used the Nike balls that are used in the Premiership or La Liga, or even the Adidas Finale ball used in the Champions League.

Well yes, but they knew it was going to be played at altitude, so why did they use these beach balls, maybe even have ones that would fly less?

Just silly IMHO.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well yes, but they knew it was going to be played at altitude, so why did they use these beach balls, maybe even have ones that would fly less?

Just silly IMHO.
The regulations governing the weight of the ball haven't changed in over a century, it's not like they're using some ultra light ball for a bit of a giggle.

There's been no complaints that I'm aware of after the Jabulani has been used in other competitions.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Ball is doing things

Has grooves in some places and not on the opposite sides. Has aerodynamics whose behavior is described in almost mystical terms by those on the receiving end.Those who master the use of it gain a strong advantage.

This Adidas Jabulani ball controversy sound similar to reverse swing to anyone else? (Heard it on the radio while driving, I dont know much about soccer and care even less).

grecian

Worst World Cup ever, and I'm still blaming the beach-ball:@

Jabulani making the vuvuzela seem like a nice distraction from the football, TBH.

Sir Alex

Banned
Good thing we had this... even in cricket world cup you get to play with one type of ball regardless of whether you were brought upon kukkabura, duke or SG.