• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time Northern vs. Southern Hemisphere

Who would win a 3 test series played in England?

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
So Ponting should not be considered for SH because his spot is taken by Bradman?If we are going to make a eleven based on playing position then lets do it for everyone not just pick and choose which players to do it for.
Well the question we have to consider is that whether batting at 5 vs 4 vs 3 has a significant impact on Ponting's batting. 4 probably not so much but perhaps at 5.

A top order player dropping to the middle isn't that big an issue as opposed to a lower order bat moving up. Though I did misunderstand you thinking you wanted Waugh to bat at 3 instead of Ponting.

I suppose Waugh could still bat at 5 with Pollock at his customary number 4.

For the bolded part - Ponting himself started to do better once he moved up the order. In any case it is not like Waugh batted at 7 or 8.Moving from 3 to 4 is not all that different from moving to 4 from 5 IMO.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well the question we have to consider is that whether batting at 5 vs 4 vs 3 has a significant impact on Ponting's batting. 4 probably not so much but perhaps at 5.
With regards to Ponting, I am not so sure it would affect him much. IIRC he played a sizeable amount at #6 early on in his career and was averaging 50.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I suppose Waugh could still bat at 5 with Pollock at his customary number 4.

For the bolded part - Ponting himself started to do better once he moved up the order. In any case it is not like Waugh batted at 7 or 8.Moving from 3 to 4 is not all that different from moving to 4 from 5 IMO.
Yeah for some reason I thought we were talking about Waugh at 3, he probably wouldn't be that much poorer for batting at 4.

Anyway Chappell > Ponting + Waugh

Spark

Global Moderator
With regards to Ponting, I am not so sure it would affect him much. IIRC he played a sizeable amount at #6 early on in his career and was averaging 50.
True, but I feel he would be somewhat hampered. He's at his best when playing the bold counterattacking innings but he can't really do that at 5.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
True, but I feel he would be somewhat hampered. He's at his best when playing the bold counterattacking innings but he can't really do that at 5.
AWTA. Same reason I think Waugh isn't best used further up. Is probably better solidifying the order and batting with/protecting the tail.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
My personal sides:

Hobbs
Grace
Hammond / Lara
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Imran
Knott
Marshall
Murali
Barnes

vs

B Richards
Trumper
Bradman
Pollock
Chappell
Miller
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Heavy Australian dominance of the SH XI - Kallis, Faulkner, Procter and Donald all have claims for a spot but I reckon all those Australians deserve their spot. The Bradman factor has me leaning toward the SH XI but there's so little in it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bradman makes it possible to make a call, otherwise, it would be virtually impossible to do so.

I'd opt for Miller over Kallis - no disrespect to Jacques, but given the top 5, I think Miller's better bowling is more valuable to the team than Kallis' better batting.

My personal teams would probably be:
NH:
Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Imran*
Knott+
Marshall
Murali
Ambrose
(12th - Wasim Akram)

SH:
Richards
Trumper (given its in England, otherwise Simpson)
Bradman*
Chappell, G.
Pollock, G
Miller
Gilchrist+
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
McGrath
(12th - Kallis)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Northern hemisphere would win and would only need 2 players as if you have heard Boycott and Trueman over the years they have never made a mistake and are all time greats.:cool:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not really sure the people who voted the Northern Hemisphere have thought things through clearly. The difference between the other players is very very little. But the Southern Hemisphere has Bradman, and to a lesser extent Gilchrist.

I dunno if people would accept having Sangakkara in the NH side - if they do that more or less negates the Gilchrist advantage.But the Bradman advantage is still there.....but just for the argument if he is replaced and both Chapell and Ponting make the team,then the NH team has a considerable advantage IMO

bagapath

International Captain
I would go with

Hobbs
Gavaskar
V.Richards
Hammond (better than sachin as a batter alone in my books. and he could catch anything in the slips)
Lara
Sobers
Dhoni (+) (beginning to accept him as a genuine keeper slowly. love knott. but would need dhoni's batting to counter gilly. mahender is better than les ames behind the stumps and far better than walcott; two genuinely great batters)
Imran
Marshall
Murali
Barnes

vs

Hayden
Trumper
Bradman
G. Chappell
G. Pollock
G.A. Faulkner (enough pace bowling in this team already. would need support for warne when wicket starts to wear out. and faulkner was as good a batter as miller)
Gilchrist (+)
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

I think this NH team is as good as the SH team despite Bradman's presence in the later one.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I'd go for Sangakkara as the wicketkeeper for the Northern Hemisphere, given his experience wicketkeeping to Murali.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
If Sangakkara had been wicketkeeping the last few years then his batting average would be higher then that. Dhoni has gotten allot runs on flat tracks and has really struggled outside the subcontient.

bagapath

International Captain
If Sangakkara had been wicketkeeping the last few years then his batting average would be higher then that.
possible. but that didnt happen. so cant say for sure. on the other hand dhoni's test batting is improving. he should do well outside the subcontinent soon.

and, of course, purely as batsmen sangakara is a class above mahendar. but we are talking about the wk-batsman role. i feel dhoni is likely to do better at 7 than kumar who is more of a genuine no.3 or 4 batsman.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno if people would accept having Sangakkara in the NH side - if they do that more or less negates the Gilchrist advantage.But the Bradman advantage is still there.....but just for the argument if he is replaced and both Chapell and Ponting make the team,then the NH team has a considerable advantage IMO
Even then it's basically the same - still little in it. What considerable advantage? If we take Bradman out and put Ponting in for example, I am assuming we'll put Kallis back in for Miller.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Bowling

NH: Imran, Marshall, Barnes, Murali and Sobers
Vs
SH: Lillee, McGrath, Hadlee, Warne and Miller/Faulkner
both teams are absolutely equal.

Middle order batting

NH: V.Richards, Hammond, Lara
vs
SH: Bradman, G. Chappell/ Ponting, G. Pollock
clear advantage to SH. Don rules.

Opening batsmen

NH: Hobbs, Gavaskar
vs
SH: B.Richards/Hayden, Trumper
advantage to NH

Lower Order batting

NH: Sobers, Sangakara/Dhoni
vs
SH: Miller/Faulkner, Gilchrist
Clear advantage to NH

Despite the don's presence it iooks like it will be 50.05 for SH and 49.95 for NH. could be anybody's game honestly.

Last edited:
Even then it's basically the same - still little in it. What considerable advantage? If we take Bradman out and put Ponting in for example, I am assuming we'll put Kallis back in for Miller.
Northern Hemisphere XI;

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Richards
Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Imran (c)
Sangakkara (wk)
Marshall
Murali
Ambrose

Southern Hemisphere XI

B. Richards
Trumper
Ponting
G.Chappell
G Pollock
Kallis
Gilchrist (wk)
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

NH batting looks considerably better to me if the Don is removed - more established openers with one bloke alone having 197 centuries.Tendulkar+Richards+Lara looks much more intimidating than Chappell+Ponting+Kallis

Sangakkara more or less equal to Gilchrist - Gilchrist slightly better keeper and Sangkarra slightly better test batsman

Bowling attack

Ambrose > Mcgrath debatable yes...but I rate Ambrose just above Mcgrath
Imran > Hadlee
Murali > Warne purely as bowler IMO....
Marshall > Lillee