• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richards v Tendulkar - ODIs

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters

NYLove78

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't believe biased accounts. Until someone posts a link to that video, I am not going to accept the rubbish. I have seen far worse rubbish than this on books and news paper articles. Snce this was an ashes test, there should be footage.

And BTW Roy Gilchrist sent some of his deliveries well above batsmen's head on full and this is possible. (Thomson might ave done the same, which is illegal today)
Haha. Nobody really cares what you believe and what not. If you see that on a WIKI page and still pass judgments like you believe this and not believe that and that was rubbish and this is gibberish be my guest.

Rest assured however my friend, NOBODY, myself included is sitting around to get that nod from you. Countless readers are seeing that on WIKI and accepting it for fact. Try telling them and convincing them otherwise.

NYLove78

So except for Thomson who is the express pace merchants? pascoe was wild. Gimour was one hit wonder. Lillee was exceptional bowler, but not "super fast" majority of his carreer. The most important question is is anyone in that list is a great ODI bowler as McGrath or Wasim? They may not be frightening, but you are out to them before you are frightened.
Assumption, assumptions, assumptions .... Is this how you are with everything in real life too. You HAVE NOT seen even ONE SECOND of the 70s/80s live (neither have I) but you are assuming, assuming, assuming. Lillee was not "superfast category"? Was he a slow-medium bowler like McGrath? The WK was standing 30 to 40 yards behind the stumps in the 70s for Lillee and Thomson. 30 to 40 yards I read written by Ashley Mallett.

The inside circle (of 30 yards) was introduced in the '83/'84 season. That tells you how quick he was. And yes Thomson. Pascoe as well, Gilmour, Hurst, Imran, Hadlee, Willis quite a few there. Never seen ANYBODY have the wk stand that far behind in these 20 years.

More importantly the KING FACED them very often. A huger %age of his matches involved them in those difficult conditions. About 70% of the time outside India, Pakistan and SL and other flat track venues.

Comparatively SRT faced his best rivals 26% of the time outside the same venues and that includes Eng and NZ who were minnow-like for most of the last two decades.

NYLove78

95mph bowlers?
Comfortably.

Btw Akram was NEVER timed above 90 mph. Nor McGrath. Or Pollock. Or many of the others you mentioned.

Go and check Pascoe, Gilmour and Hurst on Cricinfo and see that their averages and strike-rates are superior to those of the "great ODI bowlers" you mention like Akram and McGrath.

NYLove78

Bradman averaged 99 and never wore a helmet. Let's forget him, because he's superhuman. But there were plenty of guys who did better than Richards on pitches worse than what Richards had in his scariest dreams. SRT is a great of the era. Great of a one era is a great at another era. Once again you say that IVAR never wore a box. Please confirm! Only the average players get intimidated. Great players don't give a**** about pace or bouncers. Richards may be mre comfortable playing spin, but that is no gurantee that he'll score well. Sorry, your arguments does not make sense.
The fact that SRT was struck on the helmet by Aaqib, Donald, Shaoib, Lee, Jones, Anderson etc in decent to good batting conditions also convinces me that there is NO GUARANTEE that SRT would have caused mayhem in the 70s/80s. Far from it his average and strike-rate (in ODIs esp) would have dipped and they are already per se below the KING's.

Its your arguments that do not make sense.

NYLove78

Haha :P , most of it happened between 1995-2000 though

Typical Headlines back then were

'Sachin Blaze doesn't take India home'

'Master sizzles as mates collapse'

'So close yet so far'

and the like.
:laugh:

As evidenced by these stats that I have already presented and backed up twice on Pages 30 to 32 -

SRT vs Australia in Australia (McGrath and Warne both playing):laugh:
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
1 3 3 3.00 0

SRT vs Australia in Australia (McGrath and Gillespie both playing):laugh:
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
0 0 0 - 0

SRT vs Australia in Australia (McGrath playing):laugh:
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 34 18 8.50 0

SRT vs Pakistan in Pakistan (Akram playing):laugh:
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
1 0 0 0.00 0

SRT vs Pakistan in Pakistan (Younis playing):laugh:
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 30 21 7.50 0

SRT vs Pakistan in Pakistan (Shoaib playing)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
5 213 141 42.60 1

SRT vs Ambrose in WI (All matches in '97 when Ambrose was a young 35 yo)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 119 65* 39.66 0

SRT vs Donald in SA:laugh:
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
12 236 45 19.66 0

SRT vs Bond in NZ:laugh:
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
2 1 1 0.50 0

Whilst the KING averaged ...... well like a KING.

Richards vs Australia in Australia (Lillee and Thomson both playing)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
8 535 153* 89.16 1

Richards vs Pakistan in Pakistan (Imran and Nawaz both playing)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
2 119 83 59.50 0

Richards vs Pakistan in Pakistan (Imran and Akram both playing)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
9 389 80* 55.57 0

Richards vs Pakistan in Pakistan (Imran playing)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
13 508 83 46.18 0

Richards vs Willis-Botham in England
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 302 189* 151.00 1

Richards vs Hadlee in New Zealand
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
3 133 119 133.00 1

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This thread is worse than the usual Sachin vs. Ponting/Lara Statsguru-based debates. Atleast the people there have watched the batsmen in question. Here, all we have is a load of speculation from both sides of the argument, neither having watched cricket in the 70s/80s.

NYLove78

On paper, Viv Richards.

But to come out and bat when his team is collapsing around him in a run chase, not letting his confidence be blown, taking the charge upto the bowlers when you are 8 wickets down and have 20 overs to go and most importantly, Even after scoring a massive century if his team lets him down, not to grieve over it but come back in the next game with the same fire in the belly, the same venom and bat like his ass is on fire, I'd pick only one ODI player across the decades, and not a particularly tall one at that. :)
Pretty romantic .... I thought SRT was an opener for most of his career. Wonder how his team was collpsing all around him and all over blah .... when even the first ball was not bowled. And that with the bats like Azhar, Dravid, Ganguly, Jadeja (ODIs), Laxman, Sehwag, Yuvraj etc around.

Anyway here are some more stats to 'illustrate' your point 8-)

Richards vs Aus/Eng/Ind/Pak/NZ in WI/Aus/Eng/NZ

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
131 4850 189* 48.01 8

SRT vs WI/Aus/Eng/Pak/NZ in WI/Aus/Eng/NZ

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
72 2515 163* 38.10 3

SRT vs WI/Aus/Eng/SA/Pak/NZ/SL in WI/Aus/Eng/SA/NZ

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
111 3631 163* 35.25 5

Richards vs Aus/Eng/Ind/Pak/NZ in WI/Aus/Eng/NZ till end-1986

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
86 3715 189* 56.28 7

SRT vs WI/Aus/Eng/SA/Pak/NZ in WI/Aus/Eng/SA/NZ from 21 Sep 1994 (as opener at 21) till now

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
119 4000 163* 36.36 5

SRT vs WI/Aus/Eng/SA/Pak/NZ in WI/Aus/Eng/SA/NZ from 21 Sep 1994 till end-1999

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
57 1564 84 29.50 0

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha. Nobody really cares what you believe and what not. If you see that on a WIKI page and still pass judgments like you believe this and not believe that and that was rubbish and this is gibberish be my guest.

Rest assured however my friend, NOBODY, myself included is sitting around to get that nod from you. Countless readers are seeing that on WIKI and accepting it for fact. Try telling them and convincing them otherwise.
Sorry, you are pathetic. Any Tom, Dick or Harry could edit WIKI. I've asked for concrete evidence. You failed. It's an EPIC FAIL. You talk about such a delivery, in a televised match, but could not find the clip. I am LMAO.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Assumption, assumptions, assumptions .... Is this how you are with everything in real life too. You HAVE NOT seen even ONE SECOND of the 70s/80s live (neither have I) but you are assuming, assuming, assuming. Lillee was not "superfast category"? Was he a slow-medium bowler like McGrath? The WK was standing 30 to 40 yards behind the stumps in the 70s for Lillee and Thomson. 30 to 40 yards I read written by Ashley Mallett.
You are also assumig, assuming, and assuming that WI bowlers of 70s were quiker than that of 90s. I said Lillee was not "super fast" for the majority of hsi career. Don't put words in my mouth. Now McGrath slow medium? I am LMAO again. He was upper 80s when he first came. McGarth slow medium! give me a life! So can you show me with evidence that WK for Thomson was much further than for Zahid or Akthar? C'mon, post a picture.

The inside circle (of 30 yards) was introduced in the '83/'84 season. That tells you how quick he was. And yes Thomson. Pascoe as well, Gilmour, Hurst, Imran, Hadlee, Willis quite a few there. Never seen ANYBODY have the wk stand that far behind in these 20 years.
Once again that's your opinion and you are judging by camera angles. Sorry, unless you show me with concrete graphical evidence that WK for Thomson was much far back (at least 25% more, considering Akthar was shorter and got less bounce) than for Akthar, you are talking rubbish.

More importantly the KING FACED them very often. A huger %age of his matches involved them in those difficult conditions. About 70% of the time outside India, Pakistan and SL and other flat track venues.
But didn't play on spinning tracks which was his Achilles heel. The point stands. IVAR did not play good spinners on helpful tracks oftenly to have any impact on his stats.

Comparatively SRT faced his best rivals 26% of the time outside the same venues and that includes Eng and NZ who were minnow-like for most of the last two decades.
IVAR played less than 25% against the best rivals he had, (i.e quality spinners). Makes things even.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Comfortably.

Btw Akram was NEVER timed above 90 mph. Nor McGrath. Or Pollock. Or many of the others you mentioned.

Go and check Pascoe, Gilmour and Hurst on Cricinfo and see that their averages and strike-rates are superior to those of the "great ODI bowlers" you mention like Akram and McGrath.
Assumptions, Assumptions and Asumptions. Pascoe and Gilmour does not remotely close to Lee / Tait / Akthar on tape.

But were umpteen times better bowlers than Gilmopur, Pascoe, Willis, Thomson etc in ODIs. You are talking of speed, I am speaking about quality. If a 75mph bowler averages 15 with the ball, he'll be comfortably better than any 100mph bowler in the history of the game.

The avg, SR, ER has to be standardized, as I did for SRT and IVAR. Then they are miles behind the current bowlers. Now you are the one stated that batting is easy now. So bowlers have suffered, and ER of 4.5 in 1980 is far worse than tha of 2010 as a result. Sorry, you are intellectually dishonest in your argument.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact that SRT was struck on the helmet by Aaqib, Donald, Shaoib, Lee, Jones, Anderson etc in decent to good batting conditions also convinces me that there is NO GUARANTEE that SRT would have caused mayhem in the 70s/80s. Far from it his average and strike-rate (in ODIs esp) would have dipped and they are already per se below the KING's.

Its your arguments that do not make sense.
And Viv was struck on the face by Chandrashekar bowling at 70mph. doesn't tell a thing about the ability to play short stuff. Players who grew up with helmet does not mind getting hit, as opposed to ones who trained with the cap. If SRT was trained with a cap, the results would have been much different.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain

As evidenced by these stats that I have already presented and backed up twice on Pages 30 to 32 -

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
1 3 3 3.00 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
0 0 0 - 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 34 18 8.50 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
1 0 0 0.00 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 30 21 7.50 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
5 213 141 42.60 1

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 119 65* 39.66 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
12 236 45 19.66 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
2 1 1 0.50 0

Whilst the KING averaged ...... well like a KING.

Richards vs Australia in Australia (Lillee and Thomson both playing)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
8 535 153* 89.16 1

Richards vs Pakistan in Pakistan (Imran and Nawaz both playing)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
2 119 83 59.50 0

Richards vs Pakistan in Pakistan (Imran and Akram both playing)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
9 389 80* 55.57 0

Richards vs Pakistan in Pakistan (Imran playing)
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
13 508 83 46.18 0

Richards vs Willis-Botham in England
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 302 189* 151.00 1

Richards vs Hadlee in New Zealand
Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
3 133 119 133.00 1
Here is another stat for you

Sachin vs Lee-Bracken in Aus

Mat Runs Hs Bat Av 100
5 264 117 66 1

Sachin vs Vaas -Murali in SL

Mat Runs Hs Bat Av 100
12 468 120 52 9

Sachin vs Pakistan (Mohd. Asif playing in pak)

Mat Runs Hs Bat Av 100
4 237 100 59.25 1

Sachin vs Ambrose

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 119 65* 39.66 0

Did your king master any of the great spinners such as warne and Murali or did he remain a bunny of Abdul qadir on which sachin hit 4 sixes:laugh:

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Viv vs Narendra hirwani test(Average of 16):laugh:

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Viv vs BS Chandrashekhar in test in India( Average of 23):laugh::laugh:

Viv vs Intikhab Alam in test in pak(Average of 5.33):laugh::laugh:
3 Mat 16 runs

The fact is Viv was a mediocre player of spin bowling. He couldn't have survived Warne,murali or Kumble on turning tracks. King became pauper against quality spin.:laugh::laugh:

King should be happy he didn't have to bat on flat track venue.Otherwise his entire career average would have gone down like Ricky ponting i.e.20:laugh::laugh:

He would have become another Brad hodge or JP duminy averaging 5 in India:laugh:

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Spinners during IVARs time: Av 36.12, SR 51.0, ER 4.24 (Excluding WI spinners and minnows)
All the bowlers during IVARS time:Avg 31.34, SR 45.3, ER 4.13 (Excluding WI bowlers and minnows)

Spinners:All bowlers in IVARs time: Avg - 1.152, SR - 1.126, ER - 1.027

Spinners during SRTs time: Avg 36.02, SR 47.2, ER 4.57 (Excluding IND and minnows)
All the bowlers during SRTs time: Avg 32.68, SR 42.3, ER 4.62 (Excluding IND bowlers and minnows)

Spinners:All bowlers in SRTs time: Avg - 1.102, SR - 1.156, ER - 0.989

This shows that spinners of SRTs era was superior to those of IVARs. If you consider the top of the tree spin bowlers, the gap will widen more.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
1 3 3 3.00 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
0 0 0 - 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 34 18 8.50 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
1 0 0 0.00 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 30 21 7.50 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
5 213 141 42.60 1

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
4 119 65* 39.66 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
12 236 45 19.66 0

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100
2 1 1 0.50 0
The whole thing is a load of rubbish. You select 33 matches from a player who has played 400 matches and trying to pass a judgement on it. This is stat picking at it's best

Maximus0723

State Regular
Viv vs Narendra hirwani test(Average of 16):laugh:

Viv vs BS Chandrashekhar in test in India( Average of 23):laugh::laugh:

Viv vs Intikhab Alam in test in pak(Average of 5.33):laugh::laugh:
3 Mat 16 runs

The fact is Viv was a mediocre player of spin bowling. He couldn't have survived Warne,murali or Kumble on turning tracks. King became pauper against quality spin.:laugh::laugh:

King should be happy he didn't have to bat on flat track venue.Otherwise his entire career average would have gone down like Ricky ponting i.e.20:laugh::laugh:

He would have become another Brad hodge or JP duminy averaging 5 in India:laugh:
uhhh...we are talkin about ODI here bratha