• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Noob Qestions

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That’s because most Americans don't think that we have anything like that here, but we most certainly do. In Baseball, one team plays another for 3 days, sometimes more, in a row. Now, these are 3 or more different games, but it is a series of games over the course of a few days. It is nothing for a baseball fan to tune into see his favorite team play the same opposing team for multiple days all the while hoping his team will "Sweep the Series" or win all the games scheduled against the opposing team.

What I've learned I like about Cricket, is the same thing I like about Baseball. In Cricket, every bowl changes the strategy of the game. The same thing happens in Baseball where every pitch changes the strategy of the game. Cricket, I’ve learned, actually exceeds Baseball in strategic moves because the batter is able to control the direction of the ball much better than in baseball and this changes the direction and play of the game and adds an exciting element that American Baseball lacks.

The use of the field is much better in Cricket as well as the ball can go in any direction in a 360 degree angle from the batter. This gives the batter an incredible number of choices as to where to send the ball and change the direction of the game. Cricket changes every few seconds and the more I watch, the more I pick up on strategic moves.

I know I'm pontificating here, but I've only been watching Cricket for about a week and only understood what I was watching for a few days. I'm sure I'll be picking up a lot more as time goes on. This really is the best sport on the planet.
Awesome!!! :) I know it is stupid but sometimes we feel we are being praised when someone praises this game that we love so much.. :laugh:

BTW, disregard the last part of Rob's post.. He is taking an inside dig at the fact that post counts are considered something big by some here.. :)

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
Awesome!!! :) I know it is stupid but sometimes we feel we are being praised when someone praises this game that we love so much.. :laugh:

BTW, disregard the last part of Rob's post.. He is taking an inside dig at the fact that post counts are considered something big by some here.. :)
Not to worry. I would think that anyone with a reclining, semi nude, George Costanza avatar would have a pretty good sense of humor. My post count will have to wait as 99.9%of the topics here concern either teams or players. I'm have no idea who they are and it will probably take a lot of time before I do.:laugh:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Cool Dr Vapor.

I find it strange how many Americans don't even know cricket exists considering how large a sport it is.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
My post count will have to wait as 99.9%of the topics here concern either teams or players. I'm have no idea who they are and it will probably take a lot of time before I do.:laugh:
Don't worry mate, half the people here don't have a clue either. There's this site called cricinfo.com and you can easily copy the stats from a program called statsguru to prove any point possible in any of the discussion topics concerning players. You'll be an expert in no time!

On a more serious time, go have a look at that site. It's a wealth of information.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. some of their features are awesome.. And I personally love most of the write ups they have of the players.

On another note, try and go through the thread where CW picked the top 50 cricketers of all time.. Even though you are new to the sport, it will, I am sure, be a great read. It was done by one of our best posters here and it is always a great place to start learning about the legends of this game that has been around for 150 years or so, internationally... :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Giving it a read myself. Found this part really interesting

Cricinfo said:
Even after the Revolution, the question of a name for the chief executive officer of the newly formed United States was brought up and John Adams remarked that "there are Presidents of fire companies and cricket clubs". It is interesting to reflect that the word President, as used for the chief executive of the United States, may have come about through its use by a humble cricket club.

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
Cricinfo.com

Might be an interesting read for you, about the history of the game in the USA
Dude, that article was fantastic. Thanks for posting it. I agree with another poster here that the US is prime for a cricket renaissance. I've gone cricket crazy in the past few weeks and I can't seem to get enough of it. I'm not a big sports fan either. I really like baseball and often go to our local Single A team's stadium. When I lived in St. Louis, I had season tickets to the St. Louis Cardinals, but I almost never watch American Football or Basketball. However, Cricket has given me a renewed interest in sporting events. There is something about the strategy of the game that I can't take my eyes off.

In the US, cricket is mostly played by Indian and Pakistani ex pats in clubs around the country. There are a couple of clubs near me and I plan on going and watching a few matches later this spring and summer when their season starts. It has taken years for Americans to accept football (soccer) as a spectator sport, however, it is now the most played sport by school kids so its future in the states is bright. Cricket will have a much tougher time, but I'd love to see it catch on here.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Actually, it wasn't YouTube, I was watching a UStream video of another event and saw an advertisement for live cricket and thought I'd watch. The link lead me to another stream which shows free, live cricket. I forget the first game I watched, but I realized I had no idea what I was looking at so I went out and bought a book on cricket and started reading. It's amazing how fast I picked up the basic rules of cricket and playing strategies from "Cricket for Dummies".

I am now experimenting with other providers hoping to find a better quality video stream. I am now watching the West Indies vs. Zimbabwe match and the IPL Semi Finals with Bangalore Royal Challengers vs. Chennai Super Kings, which I think may be a repeat broadcast, I’m not sure. But the IPL game is much better than the WI vs. Zim game.
I really found the part about streams interesting. Both cricket sites I post on have very strict policies regarding streams and here they are helping convert fans.

Welcome aboard. :)