• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Noob Qestions

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
Y'all, I have a lot to learn, but it's gonna be a good education. I'm not siding with any team at the moment. I'll just watch them all and get a good appreciation for the game first. I'll leave the politics to those who know a lot more than me, which is just about everyone at this point.:laugh:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey, the series isn't over yet and Aus played very well last night. I'm looking forward to the rest of the matches and getting to know both teams a little better.
Just an FYI, the game last night broke a very long winning streak from Australia in ODI cricket. We had destroyed our opposition all summer and last night was by far the closest match in One Day cricket we've had in six months.

You see the thing about New Zealand is that they are similar to Canada in that there is nothing that they like doing more than beating their "big brother" country next door. They always lift their game versus us and I remember in 2007 that they beat us 3-0 before Australia went on to win the World Cup without losing a single game.

The point is that Aus vs NZ generally provides fantastic entertainment.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Y'all, I have a lot to learn, but it's gonna be a good education. I'm not siding with any team at the moment. I'll just watch them all and get a good appreciation for the game first. I'll leave the politics to those who know a lot more than me, which is just about everyone at this point.:laugh:
Just wondering. You said you first saw cricket on youtube. What prompted you to look it up?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Who in America is going to know about our King? I'm just interested in what prompted him to look cricket up.

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
Just wondering. You said you first saw cricket on youtube. What prompted you to look it up?
Actually, it wasn't YouTube, I was watching a UStream video of another event and saw an advertisement for live cricket and thought I'd watch. The link lead me to another stream which shows free, live cricket. I forget the first game I watched, but I realized I had no idea what I was looking at so I went out and bought a book on cricket and started reading. It's amazing how fast I picked up the basic rules of cricket and playing strategies from "Cricket for Dummies".

I am now experimenting with other providers hoping to find a better quality video stream. I am now watching the West Indies vs. Zimbabwe match and the IPL Semi Finals with Bangalore Royal Challengers vs. Chennai Super Kings, which I think may be a repeat broadcast, I’m not sure. But the IPL game is much better than the WI vs. Zim game.

Last edited by a moderator:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Actually, it wasn't YouTube, I was watching a UStream video of another event and saw an advertisement for live cricket and thought I'd watch. The link lead me to another stream which shows free, live cricket. I forget the first game I watched, but I realized I had no idea what I was looking at so I went out and bought a book on cricket and started reading. It's amazing how fast I picked up the basic rules of cricket and playing strategies from "Cricket for Dummies".

I am now experimenting with other providers hoping to find a better quality video stream. I am now watching the West Indies vs. Zimbabwe match and the IPL Semi Finals with Bangalore Royal Challengers vs. Chennai Super Kings, which I think may be a repeat broadcast, I’m not sure. But the IPL game is much better than the WI vs. Zim game.
oh ok. Interesting stuff!

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Actually, it wasn't YouTube, I was watching a UStream video of another event and saw an advertisement for live cricket and thought I'd watch. The link lead me to another link which shows free, live cricket. I forget the first game I watched, but I realized I had no idea what I was looking at so I went out and bought a book on cricket and started reading. It's amazing how fast I picked up the basic rules of cricket and playing strategies from "Cricket for Dummies".

what i appreciate is you came at it with an open mind and put in a decent effort in understanding something that is not familar to you or to a US audience in general and if it keeps your interest even the more better.:cool:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Welcome to the forums Vapor

Quick favour, in future I'd ask that you didn't post links to internet streams as per the forum rules, thanks :)

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
Welcome to the forums Vapor

Quick favour, in future I'd ask that you didn't post links to internet streams as per the forum rules, thanks :)
Thanks for the heads up bro. I just went back to edit them out of the post and found you had done it for me. It won't happen again.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am really amazed you liked the game so quickly, vapor!!! :) Most Americans I know think it is stupid that you can play a game for 5 days and still end up with neither team winning..

Doctor Vapor

Cricket Spectator
I am really amazed you liked the game so quickly, vapor!!! :) Most Americans I know think it is stupid that you can play a game for 5 days and still end up with neither team winning..
That’s because most Americans don't think that we have anything like that here, but we most certainly do. In Baseball, one team plays another for 3 days, sometimes more, in a row. Now, these are 3 or more different games, but it is a series of games over the course of a few days. It is nothing for a baseball fan to tune into see his favorite team play the same opposing team for multiple days all the while hoping his team will "Sweep the Series" or win all the games scheduled against the opposing team.

What I've learned I like about Cricket, is the same thing I like about Baseball. In Cricket, every bowl changes the strategy of the game. The same thing happens in Baseball where every pitch changes the strategy of the game. Cricket, I’ve learned, actually exceeds Baseball in strategic moves because the batter is able to control the direction of the ball much better than in baseball and this changes the direction and play of the game and adds an exciting element that American Baseball lacks.

The use of the field is much better in Cricket as well as the ball can go in any direction in a 360 degree angle from the batter. This gives the batter an incredible number of choices as to where to send the ball and change the direction of the game. Cricket changes every few seconds and the more I watch, the more I pick up on strategic moves.

I know I'm pontificating here, but I've only been watching Cricket for about a week and only understood what I was watching for a few days. I'm sure I'll be picking up a lot more as time goes on. This really is the best sport on the planet.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That’s because most Americans don't think that we have anything like that here, but we most certainly do. In Baseball, one team plays another for 3 days, sometimes more, in a row. Now, these are 3 or more different games, but it is a series of games over the course of a few days. It is nothing for a baseball fan to tune into see his favorite team play the same opposing team for multiple days all the while hoping his team will "Sweep the Series" or win all the games scheduled against the opposing team.

What I've learned I like about Cricket, is the same thing I like about Baseball. In Cricket, every bowl changes the strategy of the game. The same thing happens in Baseball where every pitch changes the strategy of the game. Cricket, I’ve learned, actually exceeds Baseball in strategic moves because the batter is able to control the direction of the ball much better than in baseball and this changes the direction and play of the game and adds an exciting element that American Baseball lacks.

The use of the field is much better in Cricket as well as the ball can go in any direction in a 360 degree angle from the batter. This gives the batter an incredible number of choices as to where to send the ball and change the direction of the game. Cricket changes every few seconds and the more I watch, the more I pick up on strategic moves.

I know I'm pontificating here, but I've only been watching Cricket for about a week and only understood what I was watching for a few days. I'm sure I'll be picking up a lot more as time goes on. This really is the best sport on the planet.
:clap: great post. a few more thousand of them and I might even respect you as a fellow poster on this site!