• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thread Hijacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've noticed of late, that threads in cricket chat, and general sports forum have become unbearable due their hijacking, the forum is becoming unreadable, and perhaps mention that certain posters have been seen less in these aprts of the forum of late, i'm thinking particularly of Brumby in the football thread and various cricket chat threads. I don't need to name any names, but I think it's pretty obvious to the majorty of the mod team who the main culprits are, the football thread being locked this afternoon is a prime example of this sort of thing, but it's by no means unique in this regard. But this sort of thing is actually beginning to make the forum totally unenjoyable, and not a lot seems to be being done about this.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've noticed of late, that threads in cricket chat, and general sports forum have become unbearable due their hijacking, the forum is becoming unreadable, and perhaps mention that certain posters have been seen less in these aprts of the forum of late, i'm thinking particularly of Brumby in the football thread and various cricket chat threads. I don't need to name any names, but I think it's pretty obvious to the majorty of the mod team who the main culprits are, the football thread being locked this afternoon is a prime example of this sort of thing, but it's by no means unique in this regard. But this sort of thing is actually beginning to make the forum totally unenjoyable, and not a lot seems to be being done about this.
Well, TBF, thread-hijacking is not unique to one poster around here, and it always seems to be allowed.:)

pasag

RTDAS
Sledger, before you can comment on thread moderation, please answer these 10 questions on CW's history:

1. Who has the most posts for the year 2008?
2. Who won BOTM II?
3. Name two founding moderators
4. Name a poster who signed up on their birthday
5. Name a poster that got banned during the 2006 football world cup
6. Which cricketer came 4th in The Sean's top 25 cricketer vote?
7. Which is CW's most owned album?
8. How many DVD's does Pratters own?
9. What was the very first battle on the site?
10. Which poster has the record for most consecutive posts in a thread?

You have 25 minutes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sledger, before you can comment on thread moderation, please answer these 10 questions on CW's history:

1. Who has the most posts for the year 2008?

Richard

2. Who won BOTM II?

BoyBrumby

3. Name two founding moderators

Top_Cat & Andre

4. Name a poster who signed up on their birthday

andmark

5. Name a poster that got banned during the 2006 football world cup

broncoman (but it was reversed)

6. Which cricketer came 4th in The Sean's top 25 cricketer vote?

Ian Bell

7. Which is CW's most owned album?

(What's the Story) Morning Glory?

8. How many DVD's does Pratters own?

3 - the rest are illegal copies

9. What was the very first battle on the site?

The Battle of the Bands[/B]

10. Which poster has the record for most consecutive posts in a thread?

Richard

You have 25 minutes.
:ph34r:

Matteh

Thing with the football thread is that it openly appeared that a/some people/person was getting free reign with his ignorance/stupidity/downright denial that he could actually be wrong whilst the people that felt they were talking to an aggressive wall eventually snapped and made it personal due to a lack of other options in the face of such blatant denial of his/her's general poor and invalid points and then it was these people that were told to cool it and not make the situation worse.

Just seems that there's a mental flag that gets thrown up when there's a personal insult and the general context gets ignored. It's by no means solely this moderator group as it's definitely happened in the past too. Generally 95% of the time i have no quibbles to made regarding this, but there needs to be more...i guess open-ness regarding posters that are 'problems' as it's generally a last resort like today when us rank and file know for sure that stuff is going on behind the scenes.

This isn't really me having a go, but just calling for a better understanding so the majority know something is going on regarding the tiny minority.

Matteh

It's odd, but it's like talking to a guy with bad tourettes. You know he's not going to say anything of importance, but you're still going to laugh at how bad it is until it finally gets boring.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sounds like a job for Captain Ignore Function!
My problem with this is that if numerous posters see the need to have a poster on ignore, surely that is a huge sign of a forum atmosphere issue. For me, ignore is more designed for when there are obvious issues between two posters than having to filter out dross/trolling etc

cpr

International Coach
Problem with threads when you have someone on ignore that it just becomes losts of posts saying 'This persons on ignore', then someone else quoting it and retorting, so you either get the full argument anyway, or just half. Either way you get a screen full of **** posts (Not just the footie thread, have a few posters on the old **** off list)

grecian

Problem with threads when you have someone on ignore that it just becomes losts of posts saying 'This persons on ignore', then someone else quoting it and retorting, so you either get the full argument anyway, or just half. Either way you get a screen full of **** posts (Not just the footie thread, have a few posters on the old **** off list)
I agree, but if everyone just ignores them, then most of that problem goes away, which is what I and Brumbers are advocating:)

cpr

International Coach
Been on it for a while tbh. Got a bit sick of the bull**** about the city I've lived in all my life, then being told I know nothing about it, though have relented occasionally to see whats going on, because there usually were one or two decent posts in there before.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do sort of agree, actually. It's not the ideal solution, but with certain posters you know you aren't going to be able to get a reasonable debate out of them and more or less what they're going to say anyway, so it's no real loss.

Feel sorry for noobs at the moment because we have quite a few members who're essentially just long-term trolls.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Having just seen the thread in question, I do have some sympathy towards sledger's point of view.

I would like to add though, that the animosity shown between sledger and Pratters of late is pretty ****ty too though, and completely unnecessary from both sides. Unless I've somehow missed the 'comedy stylings' of this somewhere along the line? That's not as bad as the "Football Thread", but it has derailed the "Movie Thread" for a short time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Having just seen the thread in question, I do have some sympathy towards sledger's point of view.

I would like to add though, that the animosity shown between sledger and Pratters of late is pretty ****ty too though, and completely unnecessary from both sides. Unless I've somehow missed the 'comedy stylings' of this somewhere along the line? That's not as bad as the "Football Thread", but it has derailed the "Movie Thread" for a short time.
Fair enough, can take that on board, would like to add though, that I only give as good as I get, and desist when warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.