• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Never to be broken records.

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
Craig said:
Alf Valentine taking his 100th wicket in his 19th Test.

That is still the fastest and it is going to very hard to beat.
this record will be broken within the next 10 years. taking 5.3 wickets in each test is not a big ask.

muttiah muralitharan takes only 15-16 tests on an average to get 100 wickets. only his first 100 was slow with 27 tests.

sehwag309, i am surprised how come you are writing the future generation off. all it takes is just another all-conquering team to break that record.

indian_legend

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
5 years later,

Agarkar's fastest 50 wickets in ODIs, Anwar's 194 and the Sri Lankan teams 398/5 records have been broken

Apart from Jim Lakers 19/90, all other records are beatable including Bradmans 99.94 career average

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from Jim Lakers 19/90, all other records are beatable including Bradmans 99.94 career average
I don't expect either record ever to get broken, but if one did I'd expect Laker's to go before Bradman's.

Disclaimer: obviously over the course a 20 innings / 1000 run career, rather than a Ganteaume-esque anomaly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re-reading the first page of this thread I think there were some rather optimistic predictions about what'd never be broken.

Pretty sure I wasn't around in this thread's previous active period (was during The Great Absence Of '04) so I'll say now fairly safe in the ascertation that I haven't posted previously: the Test record I most hope won't ever be broken is Charles Bannerman's highest percentage of a completed Test innings. It has stood since the very first Test (which no-one had a clue at the time was the very first Test) after all, though Michael Slater almost disturbed it in 1998/99.

Also fairly sure there's another thread along this one's lines kicking-about somewhere.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
BRADMAN : 974 runs in a 5 test series.
Disagree with this actually. Gooch got over 1,000 in a 6-Test season which shows it's not impossible. I think Hobbs' and especially Freeman's records are more unassailable, by reason of the amount of cricket now being played.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gooch got over 1,000 in a 6-Test season which shows it's not impossible.
That was 1990 though - one of the most notoriously flat-deck summers, two utter nothing attacks, a batsman in some of the greatest form ever seen, one crucial dropped catch that cost about 310 runs... so many bits had to fall into place, and I don't think that'll happen often enough to make it remotely likely that Bradman's 974-run five-Test 1930 will ever be bettered. Not least because these days a five-Test series is mostly the preserve of the outstanding sides and almost never played by a moderate one, which someone other than Bradman would require to score that many runs in one go.

Of course it isn't impossible, and is indeed a bit more likely than some records such as Laker's 19-90 and Southerton's oldest-ever-Test-debutant. But I'd say it's realistically very unlikely.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
one of the most notoriously flat-deck summers, two utter nothing attacks, a batsman in some of the greatest form ever seen
These things happen from time to time. Whereas 304 wickets in a FC season never will again.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i think bradman got a 22 ball hundred in an innings of 256 during a local club game in the early 1930s.

Blackheath invitational xi v lithgow, blackheath 1931

bradman reached his hundred off only 22 balls in an exhibition match.

He took 38 off the first eight-ball over he faced and then added four sixes and four fours in the second.

The 10th six of his innings took him to three figures and he hit 14 in all, plus 29 boundaries in only 150 minutes at the crease.
wow.:-o

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now that the England selectors have recognised Luke Wright's potential I suspect any chance of the double being done again has gone

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
But for the same reason, SF Barnes' record of 49 wickets in a Test series will surely be at risk of tumbling

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
These things happen from time to time. Whereas 304 wickets in a FC season never will again.
Of course it won't (barring another considerable rescheduling involving the complete abolition of Twenty20 nonsense and one-day cricket and a return to the three-day format which would only really be practical with a return to uncovered wickets). But, as I say, I'd say such things happen sufficiently irregularly to make a repeat extremely unlikely.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Can anyone see Bradman's record being broken? Almost 62 years (Someone can correct me here) since he finished playing the game and no batsmen, over a significant sample size, has come even close.

Vikas Bhatt

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What record do you think will never be broken? (Discluding things like 10 wickets in an innings etc.) Personally I think Jim Lakers 19 wickets in a match is the most likely well known record to never be broken. Post any other 'unbreakable records' here.

The number of centuries Sachin Tendulkar made in all forms of the game?

The runs he scored in both traditional forms of game.

Especially one day cricket where the number of games, runs scored and centuries mad eis unmatchable given that T20 may soon replace the 50 over format after 2012 when the new FTP will be probably have more T20s in them.

Also perhaps the number of tests and one days played by SRT when he retires.

So here it is:

Most Runs scored in tests
Most runs scored in one days.
Most 100s in tests.
Most 100s in one days.
Most tests played.
Mosts one days played.

That would be 6 batting records already!

Last edited: