• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag, an all-time Indian great?

Precambrian

Banned
if you think that the Fab 4 is a media hype then why waste your time typing the stuff below to form your comment in the first place :laugh:

Easy, I don't want to develop extra pain in my fingers by typing Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman... So I use the general term Fab 4, even though I don't approve of it much. It's up there with the hundred things in life which you don't like but just ignore and accept.

Perhaps, now on should use SRGL.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even if he does nothing for the rest of his career, he'll still be looked back on as a player- the only player ever- with an incredible knack of occasionally scoring run-a-ball triple-hundreds. He may not be one of the best players of all time, but he'll definitely end up an all-time legend.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes. I did not have him in my all time XI before, but now I will. I'm not getting rid of Merchant as an opener, but I'll slot Sehwag into the middle order. Having multiple run a ball triple hundreds is quite sick, along with five of the top ten fastest double centuries belonging to him. Six doubles and potentially three triples in less than half the Tests of Tendulkar. I can't keep him out, whatever my personal feeling about having to watch his style.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
bye bye merchant. good to have you so far. but time for you to leave the seat. welcome viru. go join sunny.

what an awesome knock.... watched all of it.....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My all time batting lineup would now be:

1. Merchant
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Dravid
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Sehwag
  6. Hazare
  7. Dev
  8. Kirmani

Replaced Vishy with Sehwag. Merchant has to stay IMO.

bagapath

International Captain
i'd go with

gavaskar
sehwag
dravid
tendulkar
hazare
dhoni + *
kapil
srinath
nissar
gupte
chandra

ret

International Debutant
My all time batting lineup would now be:

1. Merchant
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Dravid
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Sehwag
  6. Hazare
  7. Dev
  8. Kirmani

Replaced Vishy with Sehwag. Merchant has to stay IMO.
in that^ kind of a line up, you could even open with Gavaskar and Sehwag, keep Merchant at 3, Tendulkar at 4 and Dravid at 5

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wouldn't have Merchant in my all time XI. Hasn't proven himself enough in the international scene playing only 10-11 tests despite a FC average of 70. It is like choosing a bowler with good FC stats and little or no test experience in your all time XI which I would almost always never do except in rare exceptions like maybe Barry Richards as Richards showed he can bat against quality bowling despite not playing enough tests.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
in that^ kind of a line up, you could even open with Gavaskar and Sehwag, keep Merchant at 3, Tendulkar at 4 and Dravid at 5
I prefer Dravid at three, and perhaps it's my bias, but I'd still feel comfortable with Sehwag vs. all time great spinners than Sehwag vs. all time great new ball bowlers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wouldn't have Merchant in my all time XI. Hasn't proven himself enough in the international scene playing only 10-11 tests despite a FC average of 70. It is like choosing a bowler with good FC stats and little or no test experience in your all time XI which I would almost always never do except in rare exceptions like maybe Barry Richards as Richards showed he can bat against quality bowling despite not playing enough tests.
I think that reasoning is fair, and if we had a glutton of choices, I would agree with you. I have a personal preference for Merchant and I think if we're just talking India XI, I'd want him in.

But it's completely understandable if someone doesn't - obviously Test records are paramount.

ret

International Debutant
haven't done an all time Ind line up in a long time so will type in mine's as well

Openers: Gavaskar and Sehwag
#3: Dravid
#4: Tendulkar
#5: Hazare or Merchant [have to keep this open. If Merchant plays batting order could change]
#6: Mankad [spin bowling all-rounder]
#7: Dhoni
#8: Kapil [fast bowling all-rounder]
#9: Srinath or Amar Singh
#10 Md Nissar [arguable India's fastest bowler]
#11 One of the great spinners

Gives me a good pace attack, along with a great spinner and Vinoo Mankad to support the spinner

PS Mankad, Dhoni and Kapil makes a solid lower order too!

Last edited: