• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Just going back to the first game, I was a bit worried when I saw Vettori give Oram a big hug, especially with him being a selector and all now :laugh:
And Oram sure does celebrate strangely, blasting the ball into the turf and dropping F-bombs.

Anyway, awesome bowling by Nathan. The selectors ****ed up by not including him in the Champions Trophy squad, should have been ahead of Patel or Diamanti.
In fact, they should have had N McCullum, Franklin and McGlashan ahead of Patel, Diamanti and Hopkins.
FFS.
completely agree with your champs trophy statement, the selections make no sense.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Just watched highlights of the first Twenty20 game again - the commentators' inability to realise Oram had already taken a hatrick was unbelievable. Even the producers and CG/Graphics operators got in on the act with a "On A Hatrick" baseline message the ball after he'd already claimed the hatrick.

DingDong

State Captain
Just watched highlights of the first Twenty20 game again - the commentators' inability to realise Oram had already taken a hatrick was unbelievable. Even the producers and CG/Graphics operators got in on the act with a "On A Hatrick" baseline message the ball after he'd already claimed the hatrick.
yeah true. this was a historic occasion and the crappy commentators didn;t even know history was being made.

Days of Grace

International Captain
To be fair on them, a hatrick between overs is much more noticeable if the bowler takes 2 wickets at the end of one over, and then a wicket on the first ball of his next over.

It didn't help that Oram had a break between his 3rd and 4th overs as well.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair on them, a hatrick between overs is much more noticeable if the bowler takes 2 wickets at the end of one over, and then a wicket on the first ball of his next over.

It didn't help that Oram had a break between his 3rd and 4th overs as well.
That's all well and good, but someone should have clicked by the end of Oram's final over at least - be it the commentary box full of former international cricketers or the TV channel's scorer. It's not rocket science.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
WTF, this warmup team of ours is a bloody joke.
Only one front-line seamer (Tuffey).
Oram and Diamanti/Elliott aren't international quality 2nd/3rd seamers.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Great for Tuffey to get five, but none of the seamers are in rubbish enough form to be replaced by him.
Big Broom fan, but it was completely unnecessary of Baz to give him a bowl (more overs to Ryder/Elliott).

They are probably wrapping Bond in cotton wool, thus bringing in Tuffey, and resting Vettori so Patel can bowl-off Nathan.

But FFS, use the warm-ups to warm-up the players you're going to play.
Diamanti and Hopkins shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Why didn't Oram bowl?

Injured again = ffs.

EDIT: 95/6. Embrassing, spineless batting. Run rate is creeping up too.
Hope Nathan gets a century to bring us home and cement his rightful position ahead of Patel :happy:

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
The Nathan McCullum overrating is hilarious. As a batsman he is like a less intelligent far less talented version of Brendon McCullum 2-3 years ago, plenty useful in a 20 over situation but not in any form of the game longer than that. The guy is not that great a bowler, he bowls quick accurate darts which either come off well or get hammered. I like the bloke but people calling for him to come in instead of Patel are losing sight of the big picture.

We should play our best one day bowlers.

Are Patel and McCullum our best? No IMO.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
looks like NZ almost out of the match.. 105-7 chasing 234

Oram still there at 15*

EDIT: BJ Diamanti joins Oram...

Last edited:

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
We should play our best one day bowlers.
Sure, but we're in Sri Lanka, and the selectors have chosen 3 spinners in the squad which implies they are looking to pick someone to partner Vettori.
With the selectors likely to follow that track, it's a question of who is going to do the best out of the bunch we have.

Patel didn't impress in the Tests, and was expensive in this warm-up. Keeping the run rate down is crucial in 50 overs and Nathan has at least done that in the two games he's played so far in SL.

As for overrating McCullum, I just said I hoped he'd get a century :laugh:, which is (was) fair considering the situation.

And to be fair to everyone else, I don't think just me (so far) calling for Nathan ahead of Patel counts as people :happy:
(Unless you mean for the Champions Trophy?)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sure, but we're in Sri Lanka, and the selectors have chosen 3 spinners in the squad which implies they are looking to pick someone to partner Vettori.
With the selectors likely to follow that track, it's a question of who is going to do the best out of the bunch we have.

Patel didn't impress in the Tests, and was expensive in this warm-up. Keeping the run rate down is crucial in 50 overs and Nathan has at least done that in the two games he's played so far in SL.

As for overrating McCullum, I just said I hoped he'd get a century :laugh:, which is (was) fair considering the situation.

And to be fair to everyone else, I don't think just me (so far) calling for Nathan ahead of Patel counts as people :happy:
(Unless you mean for the Champions Trophy?)
Patel was expensive in this warmup at the death when the Sri Lankan A team slogged out, his figures were near identical to McCullum (who was bowled out very very early) and his economy to Tuffey's before both bowled the death and were made to pay for it. The fact that Patel was bowled at the death here may indicate more where the selectors head is at than the end figures of the bowlers.

And far more Kiwis than you are calling for Nath to be played.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It would be if I wasn't on a work laptop... instead, I've got a picture of Southland's best trotting trainer...