• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Patel was expensive in this warmup at the death when the Sri Lankan A team slogged out, his figures were near identical to McCullum (who was bowled out very very early) and his economy to Tuffey's before both bowled the death and were made to pay for it. The fact that Patel was bowled at the death here may indicate more where the selectors head is at than the end figures of the bowlers.
Yes, his economy did decline at the death but it wasn't 'near identical' prior. His econ hovered around similar rates to Ryder/Elliott before the death, with the Lankans crusing at around 5 RPO from overs 20-40.
And Nathan did bowl during the Powerplays.

His bowling at the death wouldn't be to do with the selectors, I imagine it was because Baz didn't have other quality seamers outside of Tuffey to call upon.

And far more Kiwis than you are calling for Nath to be played.
Yeah I know, but when you say it on CW, I think of those on CW :happy:

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yes, his economy did decline at the death but it wasn't 'near identical' prior. His econ hovered around similar rates to Ryder/Elliott before the death.
And Nathan did bowl during the Powerplays.

His bowling at the death wouldn't be to do with the selectors, I imagine it was because Baz didn't have other quality seamers outside of Tuffey to call upon.

Yeah I know, but when you say it on CW, I think of those on CW :happy:
I don't really think Baz is too concerned about winning or losing this match as much as he was out there trying to find the best XI for the next match.

And it is those on CW, just me summarizing Kiwi sentiments that have built up in my absence.

Polo23

International Debutant
Athlai - You don't think we should use 2 spinners in the sub-continent? McCullum for mine is a better OD bowler than Patel, and is decent with the bat. Both are great fielders, so they cancel eachother out there. We know what Patel can offer, i'd like to see McCullum given a chance.

I wonder if this performance by Tuffey will see him in the team for the first ODI? I wasn't even aware he was in the squad! Reckon they will still stick with Butler.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't really think Baz is too concerned about winning or losing this match as much as he was out there trying to find the best XI for the next match.
I think this XI was more about giving Vettori and Taylor a rest whilst ensuring Bond doesn't injure himself.
Diamanti realistically shouldn't play any of the ODIs and Hopkins doesn't help the team balance in any way. Tuffey's selection for the first game is unlikely, but he will come into consideration should the incumbent seamers balls up.

I agree with letting Nathan and Patel duke it out, and Tuffey allowing Bond to avoid unnecessary play, but we should have gone into this game with an eye to win and to give our first XI some more time in the middle.

EDIT:
I wonder if this performance by Tuffey will see him in the team for the first ODI? I wasn't even aware he was in the squad! Reckon they will still stick with Butler.
They nipped him into the squad at the last minute without really letting anyone know, I only found out when I took a look at the Cricinfo tour diary :laugh:

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Athlai - You don't think we should use 2 spinners in the sub-continent? McCullum for mine is a better OD bowler than Patel, and is decent with the bat. Both are great fielders, so they cancel eachother out there. We know what Patel can offer, i'd like to see McCullum given a chance.

I think we should play our best bowlers either way even in the sub-continent.

My NZ ODI bowlers would be:

1) Bond
2) Vettori
3) Mills
4) Tuffey
5) Butler
(Franklin if fit and rearing to go)
6) Patel
7) Southee
8) McCullum
(Franklin)
9) Oram
10) Gillespie

Yes I still believe Patel is a better bowler than McCullum, but no he isn't in my first choice of bowlers. I don't know why batting plays an important role in choosing our bowlers, they can all hit boundaries, every name on that list.

We shouldn't be trying to bring better batsman into 8-9-10 we should be trying to get batter batsman into 5-6-7

Baz
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor

Thats as good a top 4 as we're likely to have. Only Guptill is a bit iffy but we all know the talents there.

Elliott

The gritty number 5 to counteract the 4 stroke players prior to him, wasn't a fan but he has got me backing him.

6??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Broom? Dunno, I'd like to believe but I'm not too sure. I haven't seen him do anything against a team that isn't the West Indies.

7?
****ing Oram.

Polo23

International Debutant
I have no problem with Vettori getting a rest...that guys workload is huge. I don't understand why Butler, Taylor and Mills need a rest. Mills and Butler have played what, 2 games (T20's) in 2 months? Taylor played both tests, but his workload wasn't big enough to warrant a rest.

Bond is obviously understandable, if he's going to injure himself i'd prefer it be in an international.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Taylor is being given a rest so they can see how the rest of the batsman go, Taylor is in the form of his life and doesn't need the game time.

Butler and Mills have obviously been deemed shoe ins for the team.

Dunno why Butler has been given such certainity though, I mean Tuffey just took 5 wickets so resting him now puts him in a weaker position.

Athlai

Not Terrible
You should have just counted to 9 :laugh:

NZ fans like to take a bowlers batting into consideration due to the frequency of top order collapses :happy:
Haha I added him just so everyone could see that the bowling pool does eventually dry up.

We take batting into consideration but fact is we have one of the best friggin lower orders in international cricket even if we play Patel instead of McCullum and Tuffey instead of Butler. All accomplished bats. Take a gander at what Sri Lanka have in the same positions down the order.

Polo23

International Debutant
I think we should play our best bowlers either way even in the sub-continent.

My NZ ODI bowlers would be:

1) Bond
2) Vettori
3) Mills
4) Tuffey
5) Butler
(Franklin if fit and rearing to go)
6) Patel
7) Southee
8) McCullum
(Franklin)
9) Oram
10) Gillespie

Yes I still believe Patel is a better bowler than McCullum, but no he isn't in my first choice of bowlers. I don't know why batting plays an important role in choosing our bowlers, they can all hit boundaries, every name on that list.
I disagree about Patel/McCullum, Patel has his moments but good players pick him off with relative ease, I don't think McCullum would do a worse job, and for that reason think he should get a chance.

What would you prefer, Daniel Vettori who averages 5.00 in test cricket, or the Daniel Vettori we currently have? The batting doesn't come into it when selecting bowlers, but if they can bat and are equal or better than someone else in the team with the ball then i'm happy.

Also, I think a second spinner becomes better than a 3rd/4th seamer in the sub continent. I'd rate Nathan McCullum to do a tidier job than Oram or Butler in Sri Lanka, but not in South Africa for instance.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
So 79 off 66 balls with 2 wickets in hand, anyone reckon we have a sniff?

EDIT: Oh FFS, just as I post that, Oram gets out :laugh:

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I disagree about Patel/McCullum, Patel has his moments but good players pick him off with relative ease, I don't think McCullum would do a worse job, and for that reason think he should get a chance.

What would you prefer, Daniel Vettori who averages 5.00 in test cricket, or the Daniel Vettori we currently have? The batting doesn't come into it when selecting bowlers, but if they can bat and are equal or better than someone else in the team with the ball then i'm happy.

Also, I think a second spinner becomes better than a 3rd/4th seamer in the sub continent. I'd rate Nathan McCullum to do a tidier job than Oram or Butler in Sri Lanka, but not in South Africa for instance.
Haha we can't bring Vettori into it. Vettori is the reason the other lower order batting doesn't matter. The guy is close to being our BEST Test batsman, while Nathan McCullum would remain the 8th or so best one day batsman in the team.

Actually if we toss out ****ing Oram I'll let you have Nathan.

Polo23

International Debutant
Haha we can't bring Vettori into it. Vettori is the reason the other lower order batting doesn't matter. The guy is close to being our BEST Test batsman, while Nathan McCullum would remain the 8th or so best one day batsman in the team.

Actually if we toss out ****ing Oram I'll let you have Nathan.
I think you missed my point...somehow.

If we toss out Patel we can play both McCullum and Oram. Dream team right there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think you missed my point...somehow.

If we toss out Patel we can play both McCullum and Oram. Dream team right there.
Na toss out Patel and Oram

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Broom
McCullum2
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
Bond

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
And to be fair to everyone else, I don't think just me (so far) calling for Nathan ahead of Patel counts as people :happy:
(Unless you mean for the Champions Trophy?)
:unsure: I think Dirky you will find that almost every NZ poster on this forum agreed in the Champions Trophy thread that Patel was lucky to be selected ahead of McCullum. Forgotten already? :p

Along with Diamanti over Franklin and Hopkins over McGlashan.