• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Ramprakash

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
And, if you believe Murray Goodwin, he has still got a **** temperament (was on the radio today saying that he'd gotten under Ramp's skin with a few well placed words that resulted in his dismissal and basically said he'd be no hope at combatting Aus sledging which would be inevitable)
Murray Goodwin is talking out of his arse.

In matches they've played against each other over the last 5 seasons, Ramprakash's averages have been as follows:

First class: 145.17
List A: 85.25

Evidently if Murray's sledging has got under Ramps' skin, it's hardly stopped him scoring runs.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think Murray Goodwin is much of an authority on how to be a great test batsman anyway tbh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some people at Somerset say Charl Willoughby's a top bloke too - but most people don't.

The point being that it takes a serious, serious ****wit to be disliked by all-and-sundry (and if they are they'll have to be a Bradman to be able to survive in a team atmosphere like cricket) and someone generally disliked will still have his advocates. I've heard plenty of people tell stories of dislike about Goodwin but he'd not have played for as long as he has if some people didn't get on well enough with him.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep and frankly it's difficult to form any meaningful opinion about someone from 2nd and 3rd and 4th hand opinions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ramps (& Key) to miss out at The Oval according to the BBC.

Warwickshire man under threat retains his place and another one's called up, what are the odds, eh? Must be handy having your coach as a national selector...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure why that's a surprise - Bell is no different now to what he was 2 Tests ago, and Trott was in the squad. I was hoping Ed Joyce might get the call, but I suppose if I was realistic Trott was probably always the more likely.

Bloody stupid that yet again Bell will bat at three though. Presume we won't be seeing him in the first-choice side for the winter, as he's not likely to do much at three.

(*Cue him playing the innings which makes the difference between victory and defeat* - I hope so, TBH, but I really rather doubt it)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not sure why that's a surprise - Bell is no different now to what he was 2 Tests ago, and Trott was in the squad. I was hoping Ed Joyce might get the call, but I suppose if I was realistic Trott was probably always the more likely.

Bloody stupid that yet again Bell will bat at three though. Presume we won't be seeing him in the first-choice side for the winter, as he's not likely to do much at three.

(*Cue him playing the innings which makes the difference between victory and defeat* - I hope so, TBH, but I really rather doubt it)
Yeah my thoughts entirely, I had hoped for a Joyce/Ramprakash call up, but always knew that it was somewhat unlikely. Just hope that Trott does the job. The retention of Ian Bell is rather mystifying though, I think we can only hope that he miraculously pulls it out of the bag as you mentioned, unlikely as that may be.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would not be suprised if Bell makes some runs, he will not make a match winning contribution but he is perfectly capable of making a decent looking 50 before getting out. I am not saying that he should be in the side but can see the logic in England retaining him.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would not be suprised if Bell makes some runs, he will not make a match winning contribution but he is perfectly capable of making a decent looking 50 before getting out. I am not saying that he should be in the side but can see the logic in England retaining him.
Yeah but surely that describes his career? Always doing just enough to introduce doubt into the 'should we drop him?' selection discussion. How many of his runs have seriously contributed to Test wins? That question when applied to him vs, say, Marcus Trescothick (who'll likely end up with an inferior record to Bell) is pretty damning.

Son Of Coco

Yeah he's a batting apologist. Walks out with a look on his face that reads like "I'm sorry fellas, I know I'm being a nuisance here...I'll try to get out of your way as soon as possible". Then, if he makes it through the first 8-10 runs briefly looks determined before getting to around 40-50 and then realising that he's imposing terribly on the bowling side by hanging around for so long and would be best served getting out now so everyone can sleep a little easier that night.

A true gentleman it would seem.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah but surely that describes his career?
Of course it does. He's been moreorless exactly the same throughout it. Bell is damn good at ramming home the advantage, and not too bad at holding off, temporarily, another team getting hold of it. He's not a bad batsman. But nor is he an especially good one. However, it's a very legitimate question over whether anyone else will do any better. Clearly, in continuing to pick him, the selectors are answering that they think not.

Pothas

Yeah but surely that describes his career? Always doing just enough to introduce doubt into the 'should we drop him?' selection discussion. How many of his runs have seriously contributed to Test wins? That question when applied to him vs, say, Marcus Trescothick (who'll likely end up with an inferior record to Bell) is pretty damning.
Yes it does descrbie his career and as I said I do not think he should really be in the side but he tends to give the selectors (who do not like making changes) just enough to keep him envolved, especially with the lack of alternatives. He stopped doing that for a while after his big score against South Africa giving them no option but to drop him but I would not be all that surprised if he makes enough runs to be around for a few more years yet

tooextracool

International Coach
You think Bell will end up averaging over 44? Honestly would be very surprised if he did without fixing that conversion rate somewhat.