• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

People that should not be allowed to write about cricket

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Piers Morgan shouldn't be allowed to communicate full stop.
Pradeep Magazine - I really hate this guy
Mark Nicholas
Harsha Bhogle - I quote the great man, "who would have thought that there would be a place for the big fast bowler who takes wickets in T20?" no sarcasm, I kid you not
John Woodcock
Simon Barnes
Michael Slater (the lesser Australian Mark Nicholas)
Peter Roebuck - unless he proves he can write an article without mentioning how amazed he is by multiculturalism

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why shouldn't two of the greatest cricket writers this country has ever seen (Simon Barnes and John Woodcock) be allowed to write? :huh:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In Barnes' case for being an associate of Phil Edmonds - anyone see that disturbing Dispatches programme last night about Phillipe Henri's links with Mugabe?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry but I seem to be in full-on disagree-with-oitoitoi mode today.

Simon Barnes is always worth reading even though on occasion he needs to be read with a wry smile.

I really cannot stand Mark Nicholas as a commentator but he is much less irritating as a writer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can only presume Piers Morgan wrote one of the most idiotic pieces Gelman has ever read - on the subject of the 2009 Ashes.

Was my first reaction anyway.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
1. Piers Morgan
Haha, you didn't happen to stumble across that piece he wrote in the Telegraph/Daily Mail (can't remember which), entitled '20 things you need to do to beat the Aussies' did you? Was the biggest load of **** I think I've ever read, and that includes all the stuff that bond21 came up with.

Craig

World Traveller
Have to agree with Corey and Andre on Ben Dorries. Not sure who he is giving fellatio to still to able to write about cricket and to have a job.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
simon "how many times can i mention the 2005 ashes in this piece" barnes.
Indeed. I'm amazed Richard that you rate him so highly, you really think he's up there with the likes of Cardus, CMJ or even Atherton? I'd even take Blowers ahead of him!

The John Woodcock remark was just an over reaction to an article I read recently where he rated Flintoff at Lords with Holding at the Oval in '76, and Willis at Headingley in '81.

p.s. Malcolm Conn should indeed be added to the list.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Simon Barnes isn't really comparable to Cardus as they're just different in so many ways it's hard to know where to start. Of writers in the last 30-40 years, he's by-and-large the best, IMO. Yes, to date, definately better than Atherton, though he is still relatively speaking only starting-out.

And if you base someone not being allowed to write on one over-the-top appraisal you'd ban just about everyone from writing, ever.

Craig

World Traveller
Rebecca Wilson should be added to the list. Just admit it, you have NFI. I guess it can't take much to be a sports journalist in Australia.