• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL hurting the international game

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is just dire. Yes, money talks. But playing for your country should have infinite more value than any sum of money.
Well you have Packer episode where entire squads from Australia, Pakistan, West Indies and most of England went for money; you have had various disputes for money leading to strikes from the West Indians with the latest going on right now as I write; you have similar strikes or threats of strikes by players from most countries over the game's history.

Its always been about money my friend, from the time the players first realised they could do it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yea, says the guy who doesn't have to worry about how to feed his wife and kids if his knee happens to blow out in a training session.
Yeah, I think that my attitude would change about cricket as soon as I had other people depending on me for support. Whilst I'm a single male, I'd give up all my possessions to play for Australia. Wouldn't do that if I had a family that I had to support, and they'd become my first priority, before playing for my country.

Flem274*

123/5
There are really only 2 options.
1 nz players fall into line
or
2 cancel the series,give the aussies a break.
Will be sad if the nz cricketers and nzcb decend into the situation that the windies have got,things might not recover.Fact nzcb has no cash.
Fact is the nzcb don't have much to play with.
1 Give the players what they want
2 cancel the nz aust series and chappell hadlee trophy which is very lucrative for the nzcb.
7/8 players missing australia would murder them even if they would send an A team,they are the kiwis cream of players.
No oram no vettori no taylor no mccullum no mills,nz would not be competitive without those 5.
I don't see australia playing the series with the cream of the players not their.
Fact is the ftp nz was slated to play nz in march/april 5 or 6 years ago,this is an old program.Its not like the new one that will come in 2012.
If nz do cancel its a 2 million dollar fine btw,could bankrupt the nzcb.
I see this as an issue more with these 7/8 players vs the current schedule and the icc,than the nzcb.
Its a shame the icc did not step into the west indies-bangladesh series,as we could have the same situation here.
But to be honest don't see cricket australia putting up with this,they are a big player the nzcb is not.
CAPITAL LETTERS PLEASE

Look, if Vettori, McCullum, Mills, Taylor, Ryder and whoever else ditched the team, which they won't, they would ****ing die. They would literally be murdered. The good thing is, they won't ditch, but of course the poster that can't even write in a half way coherent manner knows that our players will definitely choose the IPL over a tour that could make their careers.

If you can show me proof, and I mean proof, not your lower case rhetoric, that seven or eight NZ players will skip the Australian series, I'll start believing you.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There was an article on cricinfo as long back as January this year which I somehow missed. Just came cross it today by chance. Here for those ho might have missed it too.
The soul responsibility
It is up to the likes of Lalit Modi to understand that cricket's future is threatened by greed
Kevin Mitchell
January 19, 2009​

Put your finger to the pulse of cricket at the end of the game's most tumultuous year since the Packer era, if not ever, and everyone should feel a little worried for the patient.

But don't order the lilies yet. The game is not going to disappear, although fissures have already appeared and are widening, and the prospects of a split, however temporary, ought not be disregarded. But cricket, that wonderful accidental creation, even more than other Johnny-come-lately sports such as football and rugby, is too strong to commit suicide, with too much history and too many friends. For the love of Dr Grace, if it has not killed itself by now, it never will.

But it will be rough going over the next couple of years as we try to come to grips with a virulent outbreak of greed on several fronts. Lalit Modi and Allen Stanford might not read the situation this way but the immediate future of the game is in their hands, not those of the ICC or individual boards. It is up to them, as the providers of truly obscene amounts of money, to lend a measure of dignity to their wealth creation.

We saw Sir Allen, under duress, make some accommodation for the sensibilities of his guests during his eponymous ego-fest in Antigua, when he took his hand off the knees of the Wags and conceded that, yes, maybe it was as well for him to keep his nose out of the dressing room (although it was a bit precious of the England team to complain about this minor irritation when invited to compete for $1 million each. Wear it, guys).

Modi? He rules India. And India rules cricket. Simple. It is up to him to handle the responsibility, to look at the wider picture, to understand that, if he continues to throw his weight around, if the schedule of his Indian Premier League skews the international programme, he risks unravelling the fabric of Test cricket.

Unlike Stanford, Modi professes to like the longer form of the game. Why wouldn't he? India are on a bounce over five days and Australia's hegemony has come to an end. So India could be the epicentre of the two diverse forms of the game within 12 months. That is not a bad thing in itself. They have wonderful players and are playing some inspired cricket. But there has to be neutral focus. We cannot have Modi and his bankers dictating who plays where and when outside the remit of his own competition. If the ICC had sufficient clout left, there would be no concern about India's rise. But the clear suspicion is that, just as the MCC once ruled the game so imperiously from Lord's, sometimes to the detriment of the development of emerging cricket nations, so the shift to India ignores wider concerns.

And the overriding sentiment should be to preserve cricket's integrity across national boundaries. Great as the success of the IPL has been, and heartening as it is to see Australians and Indians and Sri Lankans in the same team, ignoring often bitter rivalries, this is a manufactured environment. It has a short history - and, we hope, a long future. But there are real concerns away from the hubbub and excitement of Mumbai and Chennai about what matters any more.

The Packer revolution showed that most (though not all) players have their price, and it is proving that way with the IPL. Professionals are looking at the golden pot and wondering why they should not be able to dip into it.

That is where Modi's sense of responsibility has to kick in. Signs are not encouraging. It is as if every administrator in the game is scared of upsetting him. That cannot be healthy for cricket. The concept of cricket as a vehicle for making quick cash is as old as curved bats, the betting baby of scoundrels such as the Duke of Cumberland and other silk-stockinged dilettantes of the Georgian era.

Yet, for all the scandals and controversies, it has managed to hang on to vestiges of its dignity. In that, it is a rare sporting institution - although not unique. Only professional fist-fighting, perhaps, stands alongside cricket for longevity as part of the international sports entertainment industry, both of them able to look back on a couple of wild centuries of ups, downs, skulduggery and heroics.

In times of crisis - Bodyline, Packer, match-fixing - there has been a consensus, a universal will to fix things, in cricket. We need that strength of leadership now. We need people not so much of vision - Modi and Stanford have enough of that - but responsibility and judgment.

There are slivers of evidence that cricket has a chance of cracking the huge entertainment market in America - even a flicker of interest in China. They are huge markets. Now that would be a revolution to savour.

Nevertheless it would be the saddest paradox if cricket discovered a formula that might one day spread the game way beyond its old imperial boundaries only to start eating away at its own soul through unfettered avarice. I do not think it will come to that. I hope I am not wrong.

Source : cricinfo

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That article is spot on. Hopefully all the boards get the picture & finally decide to make ICC a true autocratric governing body.

The mistake was made 30 years with Packer, it can't afford to happen again.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tell that to the West Indies and SL and NZ players who are only looking for security money. It's fine and dandy to blame obscene amount of money when your countries players already make that.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
SJS you are right on........... IPL is raping cricket..................and they want to kill the chicken to find all the golden eggs at once.....Very Sad.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That article is spot on. Hopefully all the boards get the picture & finally decide to make ICC a true autocratric governing body.

The mistake was made 30 years with Packer, it can't afford to happen again.
What was the mistake ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tell that to the West Indies and SL and NZ players who are only looking for security money. It's fine and dandy to blame obscene amount of money when your countries players already make that.
Absolutely. Tell that to Chatfield too who, If you believe the rumors, has been available for mowing your lawn. That's what his country has done for him after he almost lost his life playing cricket for his country.

brockley

International Captain
Good article sjs point made i think in the article,many of us cricket fans are worried by this.
Flem you can keep attacking my grammar my writing style,whatever.
Don't care,this is a threat to international cricket,and many of us fans are jack of it.
Case in point because of the ever growing international schedule ricky ponting and mike hussey rested from the IPL,cricket australia stopped 4/5 players from playing because of injury worries,2 of our biggest players michael clarke and mitch johnson skipped IPL altogether.
When the players had talks with cricket australia 2 things we're on their mind,increased player pay and 2nd less media involvements.
It didn't involve IPL,onbiously australian players value their baggy green more than the kiwis than their black caps.
Also from a personal note you kiwis can attack me on my grammar all you like,but i won't back down from my message.
You seem intent about keeping me shut up just like the kiwis players are trying to keep the players union shut up.

Polo23

International Debutant
Can someone translate what brockley said above into readable English? If that is at all possible.

There should be something written into the rules when you sign up..perhaps along the lines of "If you can't type legibly, you can piss off".

Flem274*

123/5
Good article sjs point made i think in the article,many of us cricket fans are worried by this.
Flem you can keep attacking my grammar my writing style,whatever.
Don't care,this is a threat to international cricket,and many of us fans are jack of it.
Case in point because of the ever growing international schedule ricky ponting and mike hussey rested from the IPL,cricket australia stopped 4/5 players from playing because of injury worries,2 of our biggest players michael clarke and mitch johnson skipped IPL altogether.
When the players had talks with cricket australia 2 things we're on their mind,increased player pay and 2nd less media involvements.
It didn't involve IPL,onbiously australian players value their baggy green more than the kiwis than their black caps.
Also from a personal note you kiwis can attack me on my grammar all you like,but i won't back down from my message.
You seem intent about keeping me shut up just like the kiwis players are trying to keep the players union shut up.
Rhetoric. Again.

I hate the IPL too tbh, mainly because I'm not a huge 20/20 fan so losing room to forms I like is disappointing for me personally, but your constant doomsaying that all of NZ will revolt to the IPL and we'll send over 11 James Marshalls is wrong.

Flem274*

123/5
Can someone translate what brockley said above into readable English? If that is at all possible.

There should be something written into the rules when you sign up..perhaps along the lines of "If you can't type legibly, you can piss off".
I like that rule. Don't even care if its in another language, as long as I can follow the words.

Tbf to brockley though, its not the typing style, its what he's saying thats hard to read. Its like being at some mass for a cult.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Michael Clarke wouldn't have got a team because he was at **** form at that time and asked for more money than any franchise was willing to pay him. He even had a base price which he withdrew days before the auction iirc.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yea, says the guy who doesn't have to worry about how to feed his wife and kids if his knee happens to blow out in a training session.
Yeah, I think that my attitude would change about cricket as soon as I had other people depending on me for support. Whilst I'm a single male, I'd give up all my possessions to play for Australia. Wouldn't do that if I had a family that I had to support, and they'd become my first priority, before playing for my country.
Family should be the first choice, which I agree, but shouldn't they get paid for playing for the country, too?

I have no problems with the IPL & international cricket co-existing, but the IPL & international cricket need to be scheduled differently for international cricket not to be devalued.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Family should be the first choice, which I agree, but shouldn't they get paid for playing for the country, too?
There is not near enough money in cricket to ensure a living for all international cricketers for much longer than the duration of their careers, let alone enough money for all professional cricketers.