• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL hurting the international game

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I wouldn't create a window for the IPL if I were in charge, tbh. As far as non-Indians are concerned, the IPL only benefits a handful from each country who happen to bag contracts in the league. Doesn't seem fair to stop all international cricket just so those players can make money while the overwhelming majority without contracts sit at home twaddling their thumbs for a whole month.

brockley

International Captain
Well 7/8 players go to ipl then the nzcb may go broke over a series between australia vs new zealand B,nzcb coffers will take a big loss.
Is that nz's main series in the nz season next year.

Flem274*

123/5
Well 7/8 players go to ipl then the nzcb may go broke over a series between australia vs new zealand B,nzcb coffers will take a big loss.
Is that nz's main series in the nz season next year.
Thats not going to happen in a million years. Any player who chooses IPL over matches vs Australia will be crucified, and if half the team goes to the IPL all hell will break loose. They'd never be let back in the country and their families would be hung by a lynch mob talkback brigade.

EDIT: actualy Brockley, reading your posts in this thread, just stop talking.

The current team with what is starting to sound like the possible exception of Oram, is not a bunch of mercenaries. most of them are just starting international cricket, they's want to go and experience Australia and what not. Oram quitting is understandable too if he does, he breaks everytime he bowls and his batting form is slipping. I would not be surprised if he decided to cut his losses.

As for the whinging about the CH, its about time NZ took the piss and sent NZ A over, its what the ACB has been doing to an extent with the series.

Prefferrably though I'd have full strength teams competing and barring injury, they probably will be. Unless Daniel Flynn and Tim Southee have suddenly got sustainable IPL futures. Yeah right.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
According to nz herald nzcb is ain a rock and a hard place,and concede this could end up similar to the west indies situation,maybe nz players will go on strike for the aussie series,hope not nzcb will lose a fortune.

brockley

International Captain
I can see his position not good for a non contracted player,how much are players contracted at a state level?
Yes he does have a point on IPL,but IPL was never meant to clash with international cricket,Modi gave that assertion.
The players do seem to be in a rock in a hard place,i gather nz contracted players are about as paid as well as our state cricketers.
But in the end they have to cave into the board,because its a rebelion against the board and the icc,just what the windies players are doing.
It would be better that they play and come to the table and negotiate as they play.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I can see his position not good for a non contracted player,how much are players contracted at a state level?
Yes he does have a point on IPL,but IPL was never meant to clash with international cricket,Modi gave that assertion.
The players do seem to be in a rock in a hard place,i gather nz contracted players are about as paid as well as our state cricketers.
But in the end they have to cave into the board,because its a rebelion against the board and the icc,just what the windies players are doing.
It would be better that they play and come to the table and negotiate as they play.
Word, his situation is understandable from a NZ point of view no doubt. But it is why the IPL via the disgraceful ICC is hurting the international game. If their was no IPL & T20 cricket, NZ players wont have this option.

Under a proper ICC, knowing that teams like NZ, WI & SRI, PAK dont pay their players much. I am sure some sort of mechanism could have been created to allow players to earn big bucks, but protect those national boards. So that in a extreme situation (West Indies right now) players wont have the option to retire to the IPL or become a T20 freelancer.

brockley

International Captain
There are really only 2 options.
1 nz players fall into line
or
2 cancel the series,give the aussies a break.
Will be sad if the nz cricketers and nzcb decend into the situation that the windies have got,things might not recover.Fact nzcb has no cash.
Fact is the nzcb don't have much to play with.
1 Give the players what they want
2 cancel the nz aust series and chappell hadlee trophy which is very lucrative for the nzcb.
7/8 players missing australia would murder them even if they would send an A team,they are the kiwis cream of players.
No oram no vettori no taylor no mccullum no mills,nz would not be competitive without those 5.
I don't see australia playing the series with the cream of the players not their.
Fact is the ftp nz was slated to play nz in march/april 5 or 6 years ago,this is an old program.Its not like the new one that will come in 2012.
If nz do cancel its a 2 million dollar fine btw,could bankrupt the nzcb.
I see this as an issue more with these 7/8 players vs the current schedule and the icc,than the nzcb.
Its a shame the icc did not step into the west indies-bangladesh series,as we could have the same situation here.
But to be honest don't see cricket australia putting up with this,they are a big player the nzcb is not.

brockley

International Captain
Sorry polo this is not a nz only thread as it effects australia.
Your the one being an ass.
Its called free speech,something some of you kiwis don't seem to like.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haa, yea brockley your concerns are 100% valid yo. People are taking a dangerous resigned view to this situation, this is a MASSIVE problem in the game right now.

brockley

International Captain
Thanx aussie8-)
We don't want the following
A derailed series like
1. srilankas tour to england
2 nz players missing warm up games for a eng tour which they faltered.
3 westindies players missing warm up games for eng tour which they also faltered.
Cricket,international cricket should be treated with more respect.:@

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I've got nothing against the players for choosing IPL over International cricket. I'd probably do the same thing in their position.

Where I'm coming from is it's a shame that the modern game has gone in this direction where a form of domestic cricket gets higher bidding over international cricket and it's scary where it's going to go next.
Its simple James.

If corporates start paying six figure salaries to delivery boys and senior executives are paid in four figures what jobs will people apply for?

Not just that. If high school drop outs are eligible for those six digit salaries why would the next generation want to slog in colleges and then after graduation another three years or more in management schools and more.

What IPL decided to pay to its players was not just obscene amounts in relation to what was expected from them, it was completely not required. They would have got the players they wanted for handsome but much lower amounts. But Mr Modi and his ilk wanted to make a big bang. He thought (and he may well be right) that a show that pays in millions and not just tens of thousands is going to appeal to the public as something special even before the first ball was bowled. Those ridiculous amounts were being paid not to attract those players but to dazzle the public out of their skins.

The fact that he did do exactly that is not surprising for the public ( the new converts he is trying to bring) has for quite some time shown that the razzle dazzle is all that counts for them. Its the fast food crowd. They far outnumber the connoisseurs and Mr. Modi and his ilk are looking at quantity in everything and quality be damned.

That Test cricket (and first class cricket too) would be the first casualty was so obvious from the very beginning but we are so blinded by the dazzling lights, we cant see beyond the bikinis of the cheer leaders, the banging of the drums and the screaming of the crowds as sixes rain, even from atrocious mis-hits, across shrinking boundaries.

Try auctioning the NASA scientists for ten million dollars each per month to work on developing toys for infants and see what happens to America's space/science programs.

Why was it so difficult to anticipate?

When Packer attracted the cricketers in the 70's he was a 'rogue' operator outside the system. ICC could have both boycotted him and paid the players the kind of money they deserved.

Today their is no rogue operator. One of ICC's major constituents has decided that they will decide how to run the game and they have decided to do it in a manner that ICC cant even imagine trying to match them. On top of that, being a part of ICC they can't even be termed as a rogue operator.

ICC, instead of realising the danger that lurked for the game in the entire IPL episode, tried to see only how they too could "wash their hands in the flowing Ganges" of green backs.

Majority of the opinion makers of the game, writers, commentators, former cricketing greats found ways to hitch on to the band wagon and Mr Modi obliged. Now we cant even hear a descenting voice.

Its people like Sunil Gavaskar who should have been speaking against this 'tamasha' but how can he.

The rot runs deep and unless the bull is taken by the horn, starting yesterday, cricket is in for a shock from which may not ever recover. Packer is dead and Modi will die one day but he will have made his billions and thats what counts with him. It is for the mandarins who run the ICC who have to decide what matters for them. If it is not the long term interest of the game. We may all just give up.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sad but true SJS. All the reason for the ICC to become a true governing body & get a grip of things ASAP.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is just dire. Yes, money talks. But playing for your country should have infinite more value than any sum of money.

Polo23

International Debutant
Sorry polo this is not a nz only thread as it effects australia.
Your the one being an ass.
Its called free speech,something some of you kiwis don't seem to like.
Where did I even mention NZ?

Your argument sort of loses credit when you can't spell or use basic grammar. Not to mention you saying the same thing over and over again.

Hey guess what? We can read, you don't have to repeat yourself.