• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, whether Hussey was out or not to that lbw earlier, he was absolutely certainly not out when he did get given...

So that's 3-1 to England on the "out"s.

Speaking of which, though, Australia are damn lucky that all these bad "out" decisions have come in an innings where they were just waiting to be beaten. They haven't impacted on the result at all.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well, whether Hussey was out or not to that lbw earlier, he was absolutely certainly not out when he did get given...

Speaking of which, though, Australia are damn lucky that all these bad "out" decisions have come in an innings where they were just waiting to be beaten. They haven't impacted on the result at all.
Pretty sure that any Australian Cricket fan would not have this attitude that it didn't impact on the result at all.

You never know with Katich, Hughes or Hussey, they could have done anything if they had of survived a near miss.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Really can't agree that they didn't affect the outcome at all. If Australia had been no wickets down at lunch for example, the game would look very different and anything could have happened from there. I'll agree that the Hussey decision didn't have a real impact since it was pretty much over by that stage, but disagree strongly about the first two.

Just because England were well on top and likely winners doesn't mean that the game was over.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty sure that any Australian Cricket fan would not have this attitude that it didn't impact on the result at all.
Yeah, Australian fans are an optimistic bunch. Fuller called it at the start of the fourth day's play - perhaps it's because of 17 years where the side basically walked on water.

Reality though is they were buried at the start of the day. No-one chases 520 to win a Test. Might very well never happen as long as Tests are played.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, Australian fans are an optimistic bunch. Fuller called it at the start of the fourth day's play - perhaps it's because of 17 years where the side basically walked on water.

Reality though is they were buried at the start of the day. No-one chases 520 to win a Test. Might very well never happen as long as Tests are played.
I bet you $5000 AUD that someone will one day chase 520 plus in the 4th innings to win a Test.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Think Hussey's was a fair enough mistake though, I doubt there would be a bowler in the game who wouldn't have been absolutely convinced that that was out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I bet you $5000 AUD that someone will one day chase 520 plus in the 4th innings to win a Test.
If it happens, I'll allow my great-great-great-grandson to seek out yours and we'll see if they can get our ashes to do business.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think Hussey's was a fair enough mistake though, I doubt there would be a bowler in the game who wouldn't have been absolutely convinced that that was out.
I said as much in the match thread - certainly no howler - but Hussey clearly missed it, so therefore the right outcome would've been for him to have remained at the crease.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member

It's obviously highly unlikely but it'll probably happen one day, and it'll be in a match like this one, with an excellent batting pitch and a strong(ish) batting lineup that failed in the first innings and left a big target and a lot of time to chase. Teams have already chased well over 400 so 520 isn't that much of a stretch.

If Australia were 1/200 at tea for example, you'd be pretty optimistic as an England fan if you didn't feel like Australia could win. England were 95% favourites but the game wasn't over, so a couple of wickets makes a difference. That's all there is to it.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Jesus Christ, this takes it to a whole new level.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
3 of the top 5 given out incorrectly is very similar to what happened to England on a regular basis on the 1982/83 Tour - the difference so far being that the bottom 6 often suffered a similar fate. I think Mr Doctrove has one great big blunder still left in him in this match - maybe a LBW with the score on 519-9.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah was thinking they could have some kind of system similar to cyclops in tennis..could really do it for every ball without too much delay...would be decided by the time the bowler got to the end of his mark
I've been suggesting this for years - give the 3rd umpire no balls, allows the field umpire to be concentrating on the batsman constantly rather than having to look down then up in a fraction of a second.

I'd also give them earpieces linked to the stump mic (and the 3rd umpire) - to have a better listen for snicks etc.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Have thought they should have a machine for no-balls that does the same job as the Cyclops does in tennis for donkey's years... at risk of broken-record.jpg's, it should've been the very first technological Umpiring aid brought in.
Agreed.

I think it would be pretty easy to have a camera monitoring the overstepping from side on, with a bit of software to immediately analyse the images, check if overstepping has occured and signal a no-ball if so. That could even take the form of a *beep* that if quick enough could give an alert batsman a chance to take a wild swing at the ball.

If the image analysis software part isn't as easy as I would envisage, then you achieve something very similar with a couple of lasers; or you could just get the third umpire to monitor them manually.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed.

I think it would be pretty easy to have a camera monitoring the overstepping from side on, with a bit of software to immediately analyse the images, check if overstepping has occured and signal a no-ball if so. That could even take the form of a *beep* that if quick enough could give an alert batsman a chance to take a wild swing at the ball.

If the image analysis software part isn't as easy as I would envisage, then you achieve something very similar with a couple of lasers; or you could just get the third umpire to monitor them manually.
Yeah, the camera's already there though - they use them for run outs and stumpings.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the camera's already there though - they use them for run outs and stumpings.
That's right - all you need is the bit of software or the third umpire to monitor it - I mean, what else does the third umpire do with his time? Would probably appreciate something to keep him awake.

The only reason I'm not 100% on the idea of the third umpire monitoring this, with a big red 'no ball' button sitting there in front of him, is that in trying to react quickly mistakes would be made - especially if you want it signalled quick enough for the batsman to react (though really, that's probably not necessary). I'm imagining a Bucknor-like figure peering at the screen from the 3rd umpire chair, with his finger hovering over that button every ball and the umpire in the middle every so often being radioed "Sorry that wasn't really a no-ball. My finger slipped".