• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tour Matches

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha, you're probably right, actually. Saw him at 10 and assumed he's a no-hoper as any self-respecting English 10 would be.
Funny you should say that, because the Aussies here seem to have presumed Swann to be a poorer batsman than he is because he always bats at 9 for England.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
For once I disagree. Reckon Hauritz is a better batsman.
Hauritz has a better technique, but Swann has a lot more shots and generally just seems to find a way to make runs. His record is really good for a lower order bat as Uppercut just pointed out.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'm not watching, but from Cricinfo's scorecard (that's all they're providing) it seems that Hilfenhaus is outbowling Lee.

Jakester1288

International Regular
They're providing a link to live audio..
I noticed.

does that audio work for anyone else?
It doesn't seem to be working for me either. According to Cricinfo, they are playing, and it says on the side:

This commentary is available in Real Player only. If there is no commentary playing out, it could be due to a break in play.

I thought I had Real Player, downloading it now just in case.

Jakester1288

International Regular
The embedded player doesn't work for me but the standalone link does. I just opened this in VLC. It cuts out every five minutes or so but I just restart it and it's fine. Slightly annoying but meh.
Cheers.

EDIT: Got Real Player and using this link.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if the Australians will do what they have, allegedly, done several times before, and let some journeyman look good to try to play him into the England side?

So if Luke Wright makes runs today don't be surprised and don't take it at face value!

pup11

International Coach
Hauritz has a better technique, but Swann has a lot more shots and generally just seems to find a way to make runs. His record is really good for a lower order bat as Uppercut just pointed out.
Yeah, I have noticed that too, for a tailender he seems to have a pretty sound technique, if you look closely at him while batting, his trigger movements are pretty similar to Watto, and if he works on his batting a bit more, than he could turn himself into a pretty good lower order bat.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I have noticed that too, for a tailender he seems to have a pretty sound technique, if you look closely at him while batting, his trigger movements are pretty similar to Watto, and if he works on his batting a bit more, than he could turn himself into a pretty good lower order bat.
I don't really agree with this. If he already has a good technique and isn't scoring many runs the prospects for improvement aren't great. Whereas with someone like Swann who scores a lot of runs with an allegedly less-than-watertight technique, there's always room for improvement if you can help the technical side of his game.

In any case, i don't think Swann's technique is any worse than Hauritz's anyway. He just has another way of playing aside from the orthodox. Same thoughts as with Johnson vs. Broad, their techniques are really at a similar level but because Johnson can hit out when he needs to the myth develops that Broad is a bit more technically perfect.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It will be amazing if Siddle doesn't play the first test. The only concern really seems to be his fitness - what do they do, rest him for the next game in the hope of him lasting longer, or play him to try to get some overs under his belt?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Johnson and Siddle were always going to be the only two staples.

Hauritz in a getting smacked early-on shocker. (face)

Jakester1288

International Regular
On the topic of Hauritz's batting, he can score quickly as well. In the Australian summer he was cracking the South African bowlers everywhere in an innings he played, I think he was dismissed for 40 or there abouts, or perhaps they declared at that point, but some of his drives were very powerful and just flew past mid off to the boundary.

pup11

International Coach
I don't really agree with this. If he already has a good technique and isn't scoring many runs the prospects for improvement aren't great. Whereas with someone like Swann who scores a lot of runs with an allegedly less-than-watertight technique, there's always room for improvement if you can help the technical side of his game.

In any case, i don't think Swann's technique is any worse than Hauritz's anyway. He just has another way of playing aside from the orthodox. Same thoughts as with Johnson vs. Broad, their techniques are really at a similar level but because Johnson can hit out when he needs to the myth develops that Broad is a bit more technically perfect.
Hauritz hardly gets to play much FC cricket, that's something worth considering.