• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E - England, India, South Africa, West Indies

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
D/L is not new and it has been argued to death that it is probably the best option. I am not against having a re-look at D/L but the amount of outrage by certain members and comments like 'England were cheated out of game' is disrespectful and insane. How is it cheating ?

And it is indeed disrespectful to the WI team and fans say that 'WI have only 2 batsman' etc
England *were* cheated out of the game by D/L. I don't give a toss what people say, England outplayed West Indies yet they've lost the match. It's not West Indies' fault obviously and they may well have played better if they were chasing it off 20 overs, but they weren't and you can only go on what happened - England played better, they deserved to win, they didn't because of D/L - nothing else.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Bravo, Simmons, Gayle all have better Record in this series than Bopara. Gayle has certainly proven himself more than Bopara has. So I dont know what you are trying to defend here.
With respect, you're missing the point. I'm not trying to undertake a comparison between Bopara and any West Indian players. (If I were to do so, I think I'd want to look just a little bit further than a handful of T20 games). All I'm saying is that he's demonstrated to the West Indies that he's a good player. And I doubt many West Indies players or supporters would disagree with that.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
We've bowled some awful stuff to him sometimes but he's played some really good balls too. Obviously he needs a longer run for him to be judged properly.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
D/L is not new and it has been argued to death that it is probably the best option. I am not against having a re-look at D/L but the amount of outrage by certain members and comments like 'England were cheated out of game' is disrespectful and insane. How is it cheating ?

And it is indeed disrespectful to the WI team and fans say that 'WI have only 2 batsman' etc
Think you're just misunderstanding the phrase. England 'being cheated out of a win' is not equivalent to 'the West Indies beat England by cheating'. It just means that they should have won or deserved to win, but didn't for whatever reason (usually relating to bad fortune). If for example India were dominating Australia in a Test match but it was rained off, you might say that India were cheated out of a win.

(FTR, I don't necessarily think England should have won, just that the D/L target was unfair.)

jimbles

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Definitely, I've said throughout that England should bowl first. But that would just have meant West Indies got cheated out of a contest instead.

I vaguely remember a stat that the team batting 2nd wins 60% of games. Dunno if someone cricket-stats-site-savvy can confirm.

Oh ffs TMS going on about England being big favourites during the chase. England were NEVER even favourite let alone heavy favourite.
yeah that stat is true.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure they'll cope. Chris Gayle, who, as captain, turned up from the IPL 2 days before the recent 1st Test and spoke of his indifference for Test cricket 2 days before the 2nd Test, and who led his team to a pretty grisly defeat, has done more to disrespect his team and supporters than anyone here would dream of doing. And I have precisely zero against either the Windies or their fans. With the sole exception of sammy2...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
With respect, you're missing the point. I'm not trying to undertake a comparison between Bopara and any West Indian players. (If I were to do so, I think I'd want to look just a little bit further than a handful of T20 games). All I'm saying is that he's demonstrated to the West Indies that he's a good player. And I doubt many West Indies players or supporters would disagree with that.
WI supporters didn't questioned English batting lineup, atleast not in this thread. One English fan had a go at WI batting lineup and he was greeted with a Tongue-In-cheek remark. That particular remark was never about Bopara or any single English Batsman.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
WI supporters didn't questioned English batting lineup, atleast not in this thread. One English fan had a go at WI batting lineup and he was greeted with a Tongue-In-cheek remark. That particular remark was never about Bopara or any single English Batsman.
If it's 'disrespectful' to criticise a team's batting lineup you might as well shut down the forum.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It would be unfair on any team, that's the point.

BTW for all the criticism of our batting, adamc kindly provided me with the average 1st innings score earlier in the thread and we scored more than that today...so...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It would be unfair on any team, that's the point.

BTW for all the criticism of our batting, adamc kindly provided me with the average 1st innings score earlier in the thread and we scored more than that today...so...
I was levelling the critisicm at the lack of depth and reliance on 2 players TBH. All well and good if they fire, but they don't, we are stuffed.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Nobody and I mean nobody has suggested that West Indies cheated.
Where did I suggest that English fans accused WI of cheating. They are being disrespectful by not recognizing that they were beaten by WI fair and square as per the laws/rules of the game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, I think that's completely fair. What I mean is, some people are acting like we scored 14 today. We could and should have scored more, but we hit a par score.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
D/L target would have been same for any team in this situation, so don't understand why is it unfair ? England didn't bat well and paid the price for it.
It was 'unfair' because it artificially altered the balance of the game. A 'fair' target would preserve the balance of the game as it stood prior to the rain delay. Obviously it's a matter of debate as to what target would achieve this 'fair' outcome, but I was of the opinion that 80 off 9 overs was not a fair target.

It's irrelevant who the team was. As I said, I am a WI supporter so the outcome worked in my favour. Just because every team faces the same target in that situation doesn't mean it's 'fair'. If everyone faced the death penalty for eating eggplant it wouldn't be 'fair'.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Where did I suggest that English fans accused WI of cheating. They are being disrespectful by not recognizing that they were beaten by WI fair and square as per the laws/rules of the game.
Look, we're not being disrespectful. Windies have done nothing wrong. No problem with them, all they could do was score the runs asked of them. If they'd been set 10 more they might well have done it, given that they won with 3 balls to go.

But it wasn't fair and square in as much as the DL clearly doesn't work for T20. Adamc has already explained why the term 'cheated' was thrown around.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If it's 'disrespectful' to criticise a team's batting lineup you might as well shut down the forum.
Oh Please, stop the idiocy and Read the following piece of crap and then tell me if you do not find it insulting :-

West Indies have 2 batsmen who England have difficulty with. The rest play the occasional cameo but it's basically a 2 man side (okay 3, if you include Gayle). But to see the rest of them jumping up and down at the sides as if they were in any way responsible for that victory was a joke. 2 men plus the rain won that game. I would rather we lost to anyone but them. Yes England lost. And would have been due for a good spanking in the semis had they got through. But as a cricket lover I cannot abide the game being won by a method that allows one side to be 72 for 2 after 9 overs (not knowing they are fighting D/L too!) , while another team wins scoring 81 for 5 after nearly 9 overs. I think Mr Duckworth and Mr Lewis need to revise their system for TWENTY20, if only to avoid sides like the West Indies actually believing they were worthy winners.
Shame their coach had the score worked out for him this time. Otherwise, we might still have had a chance.

GGG

State Captain
England *were* cheated out of the game by D/L. I don't give a toss what people say, England outplayed West Indies yet they've lost the match. It's not West Indies' fault obviously and they may well have played better if they were chasing it off 20 overs, but they weren't and you can only go on what happened - England played better, they deserved to win, they didn't because of D/L - nothing else.
Must of been watching a different game for me, England played and are ****, I can see how this team lost to holland.