• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

stumpski

International Captain
I obviously didn't phrase that very well - I meant other books by Foot, not other Hammond biographies.

I doubt if the other writers would have dealt with his flaws as Foot did so effectively, they would have been hagiographies by comparison.

archie mac

International Coach
I obviously didn't phrase that very well - I meant other books by Foot, not other Hammond biographies.

I doubt if the other writers would have dealt with his flaws as Foot did so effectively, they would have been hagiographies by comparison.
I think he has one called the Holy Trinity which has three bios one on Parker, Parkin and the other was a Somerset Amateur (can't think of his name:@, something Macbrant?), which was the best of the three, although they are all good:)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Foot is very good with flawed characters - he also wrote a splendid biography of Harold Gimblett and a couple of collections of biographical essays, "Fragments of Idolatory" and "Beyond Bat and Ball"

stumpski

International Captain
I think he has one called the Holy Trinity which has three bios one on Parker, Parkin and the other was a Somerset Amateur (can't think of his name:@, something Macbrant?), which was the best of the three, although they are all good:)

There was a Somerset player called McBryan who played in one Test in which he didn't bat or bowl - unlikely subject for a book you'd have to say.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a great essay by someone whose name escapes me about a player whose name escapes me who played one First Class match, didn't bat or bowl (and may have fielded for one ball) which is a really good piece of writing about the magic of First Class cricket.

Someone will help me out with the names and details, I'm sure.

fredfertang

Fred Hyland - his one first class appearance for Hampshire in 1924 lasted two overs - I know a man who has already written a book about Clem Hill who is writing a book about him

stumpski

International Captain
It might be the same one - I remember reading an essay in which the writer discovers that one of his teachers took part in a first-class match (for one of the Universities, presumably) that was abandoned after a very short time. In one of my cricket compendiums I'm sure.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Fred Hyland - his one first class appearance for Hampshire in 1924 lasted two overs - I know a man who has already written a book about Clem Hill who is writing a book about him
Ah well, on second thoughts the magic of FC cricket isn't quite the same if the team you're turning out for is Pants

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It might be the same one - I remember reading an essay in which the writer discovers that one of his teachers took part in a first-class match (for one of the Universities, presumably) that was abandoned after a very short time. In one of my cricket compendiums I'm sure.
Yes that's the one. It's in a compendium by CMJ which a friend's wife bought me as a penance for accidentally locking me in a corridor outside her flat one day.

fredfertang

Yes that's the one. It's in a compendium by CMJ which a friend's wife bought me as a penance for accidentally locking me in a corridor outside her flat one day.
Do you really believe that Mr Z?

Sounds premeditated to me

................... anyway why were you there?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
AA Thomson had a wonderfully evocative way with words and wrote many fine books about the game but he wasn't one for stripping his subjects down to the bare bones and trying to work out exactly what made them tick - Rae on the other hand did, as best a writer can with no living contemporaries to talk to, dissect the myths so I'd recommend that - it's not rare and I am sure ABE will throw up several copies
Is abebooks.com an American site? If so I can buy loads of books as my brother is studying in the US at the moment.

archie mac

International Coach
Is abebooks.com an American site? If so I can buy loads of books as my brother is studying in the US at the moment.
Not sure where the site is, but they have book dealers from all over the world, just depends on where the book is you want:)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have bought the following books, mostly after discussion with archie. :)

Andrews, Bill. The Hand that Bowled Bradman. Memories of a professional cricketer.

Cardus, Neville. Days in the Sun. A cricketer's journal. London,1924

Cashman, Richard. The "Demon" Spofforth. Kensington, (New South Wales), 1990

Fingleton, J.H. Batting From Memory. An autobiography.

Foot, David. Wally Hammond. The Reasons Why. A biography.

Hughes, Simon. A Lot of Hard Yakka.

Piesse, Ken. The Taylor Years. Australian Cricket 1994-99

Thomson, A.A. Cricketers of My Times

Low, Robert. W.G. A Life of W.G.Grace. 1st 1997

Simon Rae - WG

In Quest of the Ashes - Jardine

Wisden Almanack

Cricinfo Guide to Int cricket 2009 (I always find this book useful while watching games)

Cricket's strangest Matches

Hansie Cronje - Authorised Biography

Fast Men - Frith

Rain Men

Grovel

Have read 40 pages of Bodyline Autopsy. It is a good read so far though it started concentrating too much on the facts nearer to page 40.

stumpski

International Captain
Great stuff, you've got plenty to be going on with there. Certainly there won't be anything you don't know about WG.

Not all of those titles are reviewed here; I imagine Archie will be hoping you'll supply us with one or two in due course. :thumbsup: