• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey : The Fizz is gone?

howardj

International Coach
As I predicted a while ago, he's been figured out. He's now right in the midst of a Tubby Taylor-esque run of nicks to the cordon. .....
But Tubb always argued that he was nicking them was a sign he was in good form!

Anyway, with Huss, he was only ever a decent player for WA - he had quite a few barren seasons and suffered from the same affliction that's plaguing him now - namely, nicking everything that moves (aka nickermatosis).

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, there's only two differences between a play-and-miss and a nick. The first is that you were that much closer to middling the ball you nicked.

The second is that it ends your innings.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bradman never struck me as someone with a great sense of humour but I do recall seeing a clip of him being interviewed, must have been in the mid 80's I suppose, about the relatively poor Australian batting of the time - the interviewer asked him how'd he'd get on against the same bowling and his reply was he didn't think he'd do any better than the present side - "why ever not" asked the stunned interviewer - Bradman's reply, his face not twitching at all was "well I am nearly 80 you know" - I am sure others, and no doubt the Don himself, must have used the same line before but on that occasion his delivery was perfect and it was hilarious - In fact I'll wager it's on the net somewhere - LT can you help?

Burgey

Haha, there's only two differences between a play-and-miss and a nick. The first is that you were that much closer to middling the ball you nicked.

The second is that it ends your innings.
Unless you nick it to Smith or Gayle :ph34r:

I also read where Bradman said he saw a lot of batsmen who were better than him, but they just kept getting out!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bradman never struck me as someone with a great sense of humour but I do recall seeing a clip of him being interviewed, must have been in the mid 80's I suppose, about the relatively poor Australian batting of the time - the interviewer asked him how'd he'd get on against the same bowling and his reply was he didn't think he'd do any better than the present side - "why ever not" asked the stunned interviewer - Bradman's reply, his face not twitching at all was "well I am nearly 80 you know" - I am sure others, and no doubt the Don himself, must have used the same line before but on that occasion his delivery was perfect and it was hilarious - In fact I'll wager it's on the net somewhere - LT can you help?
The only place I've heard him mention that is on the audio tape The Don Declares released in the late 80's.

Top_Cat

Anyway, with Huss, he was only ever a decent player for WA - he had quite a few barren seasons and suffered from the same affliction that's plaguing him now - namely, nicking everything that moves (aka nickermatosis).
Yep, exactly. So many people never understood why he didn't get a game for Aus in the 90's. Had little to do with the batting line-up, he was just a nicker. It's why he averaged mid-30's for WA for years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bradman never struck me as someone with a great sense of humour but I do recall seeing a clip of him being interviewed, must have been in the mid 80's I suppose, about the relatively poor Australian batting of the time - the interviewer asked him how'd he'd get on against the same bowling and his reply was he didn't think he'd do any better than the present side - "why ever not" asked the stunned interviewer - Bradman's reply, his face not twitching at all was "well I am nearly 80 you know" - I am sure others, and no doubt the Don himself, must have used the same line before but on that occasion his delivery was perfect and it was hilarious
I've heard of at least 3 different occasions where he's reportedly used it, although it could merely be that each of them is neglicting to mention details which the following one then adds in.

Mister Wright

Since returning from India.

6 Matches, 11 innings, 1 not out, 194 runs @ 19.40 and a highest score of 70 with 1 50.

In those 6 matches 4 ducks and 7 scores of 8 or less.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Assuming his form doesn't pick up, you reckon they might move North up to 5, Clarke to 4 and slot Watson in at 6 (assuming he bowls and finds decent batting form in the early IPL)?

Distinct possibility IMO.

Mister Wright

Assuming his form doesn't pick up, you reckon they might move North up to 5, Clarke to 4 and slot Watson in at 6 (assuming he bowls and finds decent batting form in the early IPL)?

Distinct possibility IMO.
The only way I can see Hussey getting dropped would be if he continued with his poor form throughout the S.A. series and we lost it and we were say 0-2 down in the Ashes or something like that. Perhaps if we won the Ashes and his poor form continued his spot might be reviewed for the next home season.

Definitely will be a push for Watson (as there always is) if he can regain full fitness. Obviously North has to also consolidate his position. As far as the order goes, Watson is a viable option at 4, 5 or 6. Although I'm aware of the Australian hierarchy's reluctance to play Watson above 6.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The only way I can see Hussey getting dropped would be if he continued with his poor form throughout the S.A. series and we lost it and we were say 0-2 down in the Ashes or something like that. Perhaps if we won the Ashes and his poor form continued his spot might be reviewed for the next home season.

Definitely will be a push for Watson (as there always is) if he can regain full fitness. Obviously North has to also consolidate his position. As far as the order goes, Watson is a viable option at 4, 5 or 6. Although I'm aware of the Australian hierarchy's reluctance to play Watson above 6.
I meant to say "For the Ashes" in my post but just forgot I guess. I seriously think if he doesn't make a decent score in this series his spot will come under consideration, **** all runs @ **** all for the last year is pretty bad, no matter what has come before. It happened to Hayden after all.

Mister Wright

I meant to say "For the Ashes" in my post but just forgot I guess. I seriously think if he doesn't make a decent score in this series his spot will come under consideration, **** all runs @ **** all for the last year is pretty bad, no matter what has come before. It happened to Hayden after all.
Yeah Questions were asked of Hayden after about 5 or 6 tests of indifferent form, so if he was to continue his poor form through the S.A. series that would make 9 tests.

I thought you meant for the Ashes, but a lot of stars would have to align for your scenario to occur. Not beyond the realms of possibility by any means, but I think unlikely.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Don't neccesarily mean just Watson, Hopes could come into the equation (though I'm not sure the CA selectors think him good enough for the top 6 or 7) and even, God forbid, McDonald I guess. Perhaps even his brother.

Mister Wright

Please, not Dave Hussey! Anything would be better than that - even Hodge.

Hopes is a definite possibility if he continues his late season form. Also could considering shoving Johnson up to 7, and use maybe Haurtiz as a bowling allrounder. Plenty of things to consider.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Please, not Dave Hussey! Anything would be better than that - even Hodge.
I've not seen much of Australia since Dave Hussey has come into the limited overs set-up, but I'm surprised you don't think he looks a potential Test player. He has a pretty impressive career record. What are his weaknesses?

Mister Wright

I've not seen much of Australia since Dave Hussey has come into the limited overs set-up, but I'm surprised you don't think he looks a potential Test player. He has a pretty impressive career record. What are his weaknesses?
Just had to watch him during the one day series. Really struggled to pace his innings, and got bogged down far too often. Has Smitheh said plants his front foot a lot.