• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Woodster

International Captain
They could be weary of Gayle's action which would allow him to chance line, length and pace quite late on, one would imagine.
Yes true, and he does have the ability to change his delivery late on, and does so effectively. But in reality he is a good part-time spinner, and we should be looking to dominate him a little more than we are.

Woodster

International Captain
As regards KP, I'm inclined to suggest that's what you get with him. Don't believe he was trying to reach a century with a big six (although that would have been the case had he connected), it wasn't his sole aim. For the first time we he was getting on top of Benn, and sure he was ticking, but it is what makes him the player. Everyone I'm sure was cheering with his three previous shots, then calling him an idiot for going for it again. You cannot have it both ways and it's a very fine line.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was just in the pub talking to someone who (allegedly) played for Fidel Edwards+Devon Smith's club in Barbados. He reckons they have perfectly good talent but the selectors aren't doing the team any favours, citing Dave Mohammed, Calvin Williams and Dwayne Bravo's brother as players who are excellent but get nowhere near the team for some reason. Oh, and he thinks Dwayne Smith was a quality player horribly mishandled. Thoughts?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As regards KP, I'm inclined to suggest that's what you get with him. Don't believe he was trying to reach a century with a big six (although that would have been the case had he connected), it wasn't his sole aim. For the first time we he was getting on top of Benn, and sure he was ticking, but it is what makes him the player. Everyone I'm sure was cheering with his three previous shots, then calling him an idiot for going for it again. You cannot have it both ways and it's a very fine line.
As I said when he got out for 94 at Edgebaston- when he scores the majority of his runs off balls with nothing particularly bad about them, you can't complain when he gets out to a ball with nothing particularly good about it.

Beleg

International Regular
West Indies are missing a world class bowler. I shudder to think what the likes of Kumble, Mushtaq etc would have done on this pitch - nevermind warney and murali.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's so wrong to post this, I know, but when did England last have a No. 7 that's a better batsman than Matt Prior?

tooextracool

International Coach
AWTA. You know what you are going to get from him and thats why he averages 50 odd in test cricket. That he plays with a complete lack of intelligence is unquestionable, Why on earth anyone would want to go after Benn not one but 4 times on a pitch where the ball is turning 3 stumps wide on the first day, not to mention away from him is beyond me, but that is Pietersen and it is this inability to temper his aggression on occasion(resulting in brain-explosions) that separates him from the likes of Tendulkar, Ponting, Dravid, Kallis, Chanderpaul and the rest. Typically, slog sweeps are more effective when the ball is turning into you than when it is going away and thus the percentages were always going to be against him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
'Pon Mr Zed's entrance it seems the apposite juncture to mention how decent Prior's looking just now, if that isn't tempting the mockers gods too much.