• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen who deserved 50 test avg

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wasn't that long ago TBH, Rodders hasn't been around this place for a millions years.

But yeah, apart from bond21s, that thread went OK.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
So does denying errors to cover for your errors... but this is very tiresome so this'll be my last post on the matter. Hijacking threads = a theoretical, non-existant concept used exclusively by poor-quality posters to try to manufacture non-existant wrongs.
:laugh: It's almost as if Richard is developing a personality.

*Returns thread to intended topic*

Of those that were close to averaging 50 the most deserving cases would be Inzi, Neil Harvey, Boycott and in any Country but England, Doug Walters.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Glad to have been of service Fred...

Grace's towering over his contemporaries was more pronounced than Bradman's imho
Agreed Mr Z - I did post the stats once before but can't find them now - where's Richard when you need him!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Surprised Boycott hasn't been mentioned yet. He just went on for too long. If he'd called it a day at the end of the 1978 season, when he was all but 38 already, he'd have ended up with over 5000 runs at a tick over 51.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
inzi for sure
what cosrt him was that icc world xi vs aussies match a few years ago,

for pak he averges 50

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised Boycott hasn't been mentioned yet. He just went on for too long. If he'd called it a day at the end of the 1978 season, when he was all but 38 already, he'd have ended up with over 5000 runs at a tick over 51.
Yeah but it's Boycott so noone wanted to say anything.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think Inzimam is in this category, if he can't average 50 when he played a big chunk of games in Pakistan where the pitches are generally pretty dead then he doesn't deserve to average 50.
Fair point.

Maybe I am lost on the point of this thread but surely if one was good enough to average 50 they would have? :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
inzi for sure
what cosrt him was that icc world xi vs aussies match a few years ago,

for pak he averges 50
Nah, what cost him was him running out his partners, thereby bringing down their averages. True karma in his case. What goes around comes around :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not true at all. Boycott's average may have gone down a bit in his last 3 years but his playing on to face West Indies in 1980 and 1981 - and holding his own against them at the time their attack was the strongest it's ever been - was quite essential for him and massively enhanced his career, as it took away the case of those who tried to criticise him for refusing to face the music of seriously quick stuff in the mid-1970s.

Was checking Shiv's test stats and I was glad to see him nearing 50 test avg, he mighty deserves it especially with the way he has played in the last few years.

So what are the other players you feel should have averaged atleast?

For me Inzi is one for certain while there could also be a case for Azhar and Gower.
Those who deserve to get average above 50 have already got it. Those who did not get, even don't deserve that's why they did not get it.

I am not convinced with this thread.

bagapath

International Captain
neil harvey should have retired with a 50+ average, same with inzy and greenidge and boycott and bob simpson. and gilly, too.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Fair point.

Maybe I am lost on the point of this thread but surely if one was good enough to average 50 they would have? :ph34r:
Basically its like asking which good int batsmen underachieved during their careers, I know you can argue that guys like Viv and Lara also underachieved despite avg>50 but that was the rough idea for this thread.:)