• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Kolpak players hurting English cricket?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ormond's Surrey form has gotten steadily worse since he joined the county and I can't conceive he'll be offered a new deal whenever it is this current one runs-out.

Hopefully for Surrey's sake the answer is the end of this season. And ditto Schofield.
Any side who hires Chris Schofield deserves relegation

brockley

International Captain
According to cricinfo and the online telegraph kolpaks will be phased out after 2009.
The ecb will incease payments to clubs who play under 25 players in 2010.
Its expected their will be a prolifieration of EU players on european passports to cover the shortfall or loss of over 60 kolpak players in 2010.
The online telegraph used the example of aussie spinner jason kregja who has a polish passport as an example of players targetted to replace kolpaks in the future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even though EU-passport players have been a problem for some time, there's no way they can reach the scale of the ridiculous Kolpak situation we've seen between 2005 and 2008.

I wonder why the ECB can get rid of them, seemingly regardless of contracts already signed, by 2010 but not by 2009? :huh: Would seem to be little good reason to give it 1 extra year. This also means a good few players are far less likely to go back to South Africa, which seems a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping we'd see a mad rush back, it'd be quite a sight to see.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Even though EU-passport players have been a problem for some time, there's no way they can reach the scale of the ridiculous Kolpak situation we've seen between 2005 and 2008.

I wonder why the ECB can get rid of them, seemingly regardless of contracts already signed, by 2010 but not by 2009? :huh: Would seem to be little good reason to give it 1 extra year. This also means a good few players are far less likely to go back to South Africa, which seems a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping we'd see a mad rush back, it'd be quite a sight to see.
Wouldn't happen to be honest

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not?

The choice would be go back to SA franchise or pack professional cricket in completely. I can't imagine many electing for the latter. Unless they're of Hylton Ackerman-style age and would be retiring soon anyway.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Why not?

The choice would be go back to SA franchise or pack professional cricket in completely. I can't imagine many electing for the latter. Unless they're of Hylton Ackerman-style age and would be retiring soon anyway.
I'd think a lot of them would chose to pursue other careers.. SA franchise cricket doesn't have the lure to be honest.. Hope I'm very much wrong..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Why not?

Im with Langers (saying Rich would be much use in this case :) )

A lot of guys would stop and look for a career outside cricket. Franchise cricket only offers longterm stability for few and the SA mentality is to drop cricket and pursue a 'real' job.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

A lot of guys would stop and look for a career outside cricket. Franchise cricket only offers longterm stability for few and the SA mentality is to drop cricket and pursue a 'real' job.
Lot of guys are on twelve month contract nowadays i.e. the ones who half decent and have a relatively comfortable life. Still get quite a few cricketers though who combine both a professional career with cricket. I know the Dolphins have a quite a few cricketers who even work during the cricketing season to make a few extra Rand and have been known to skip away fixtures to fulfill work commitments.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

I would guess it being something to do with specific legislation being signed off or something :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd think a lot of them would chose to pursue other careers.. SA franchise cricket doesn't have the lure to be honest.. Hope I'm very much wrong..

Lot of guys are on twelve month contract nowadays i.e. the ones who half decent and have a relatively comfortable life. Still get quite a few cricketers though who combine both a professional career with cricket. I know the Dolphins have a quite a few cricketers who even work during the cricketing season to make a few extra Rand and have been known to skip away fixtures to fulfill work commitments.
I see. Well there are already a fair few who've had long-term provincial\franchise careers amongst those playing as overseas-players or Kolpaks. What d'you reckon would be the case for these? Excluded are those who could be classed as current internationals. I guess there's 4 categories:
Getting on but with a successful career in SA behind them and potentially still with something to offer:
Charl Langeveldt, Rory Kleinveldt, Imran Tahir, Martin van Jaarsveld, Boeta Dippenaar, Hylton Ackerman, Claude Henderson, Garnett Kruger, Johann Louw, Zander de Bruyn, Charl Willoughby, Alfonso Thomas.
Getting on with a successful career in SA behind them but ICL contracted:
Dale Benkenstein, Mornantau Hayward, Justin Kemp, Andrew Hall, Lance Klusener, Nico Boje, Johannes van der Wath.
Young or not old and with some franchise success:
Dominic Telo, Ryan McLaren, Francois du Plessis, Dillon du Preez, Jacques Rudolph.
Never good enough for franchise cricket:
Greg Smith, Garry Park, Grant Hodnett, Jacques du Toit, Riki Wessels.

There's also Deon Kruis, who I'm pretty sure is about to hang-up his boots.

Obviously those in the second group, playing in the ICL, don't need to do anything other than play ICL as that's enough of an earner, though each of them would improve the quality of the SA system if they weren't banned (as IIRR they are). Surely the third group would go back and try their luck? The first and the fourth are those who I'd guess have most questions to ask themselves.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I see. Well there are already a fair few who've had long-term provincial\franchise careers amongst those playing as overseas-players or Kolpaks. What d'you reckon would be the case for these? Excluded are those who could be classed as current internationals. I guess there's 4 categories:
Getting on but with a successful career in SA behind them and potentially still with something to offer:
Charl Langeveldt, Rory Kleinveldt, Imran Tahir, Martin van Jaarsveld, Boeta Dippenaar, Hylton Ackerman, Claude Henderson, Garnett Kruger, Johann Louw, Zander de Bruyn, Charl Willoughby, Alfonso Thomas.
Getting on with a successful career in SA behind them but ICL contracted:
Dale Benkenstein, Mornantau Hayward, Justin Kemp, Andrew Hall, Lance Klusener, Nico Boje, Johannes van der Wath.
Young or not old and with some franchise success:
Dominic Telo, Ryan McLaren, Francois du Plessis, Dillon du Preez, Jacques Rudolph.
Never good enough for franchise cricket:
Greg Smith, Garry Park, Grant Hodnett, Jacques du Toit, Riki Wessels.

There's also Deon Kruis, who I'm pretty sure is about to hang-up his boots.

Obviously those in the second group, playing in the ICL, don't need to do anything other than play ICL as that's enough of an earner, though each of them would improve the quality of the SA system if they weren't banned (as IIRR they are). Surely the third group would go back and try their luck? The first and the fourth are those who I'd guess have most questions to ask themselves.

Baring in mind what has just happened with our government, we don't have an acting President and half of the cabinet have just resigned.. I'm going back in three weeks and even I'm having second thoughts.. As romantic as it would be to have all these guys return to SA, don't forget the "Africa" part of the name..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Baring in mind what has just happened with our government, we don't have an acting President and half of the cabinet have just resigned.. I'm going back in three weeks and even I'm having second thoughts.. As romantic as it would be to have all these guys return to SA, don't forget the "Africa" part of the name..
Most of the guys mentioned still play in South Africa… HD Ackerman signed a two year with the Dolphins, Martin van Jaarsveld still represents the Titans and will be a key player in the 20/20 Champions League, Boeta Dippenaar will captain the Eagles, Claude Henderson has signed a contract with the Cape Cobras, Zander de Bruyn despite signing a two year deal with Somerset still has another two years left with the Warriors and so on. I’m not sure why the removal of a lame duck President will make cricketers stay in the UK, where funny enough it’s Prime Minister and his minister's will be collecting their P45’s within the next year or so.

brockley

International Captain
I gather a lot of those kolpaks would be very open to a ICL payday.The reason kolpaks came over in the first place was money,any decent kolpak would end up going to ICL i suppose.
Wonder what will happen to ryan mclaren as he is trying to get citizenship,the ECB will have to give him special dispensation,as he has only had 12 months in england.
Imran tahir will play for south africa.
You will notice a big difference between 2009 and 2010,the depth of english cricket will go down in 2010 with the loss of all kolpaks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I gather a lot of those kolpaks would be very open to a ICL payday.The reason kolpaks came over in the first place was money,any decent kolpak would end up going to ICL i suppose.
Wonder what will happen to ryan mclaren as he is trying to get citizenship,the ECB will have to give him special dispensation,as he has only had 12 months in england.
Imran tahir will play for south africa.
You will notice a big difference between 2009 and 2010,the depth of english cricket will go down in 2010 with the loss of all kolpaks.
Yep, and hopefully expenditure will drop a long way with it.

As for McLaren, TBH I hope he goes back to SA and plays for them. It just wouldn't feel right to me for him to play for England.

Langeveldt

Soutie
As for McLaren, TBH I hope he goes back to SA and plays for them. It just wouldn't feel right to me for him to play for England.
He'll play for England in the next few years without doubt, as will Craig Kieswetter IMO.. Does it feel right for you to have Pietersen as captain?