• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2007-08

Tom Halsey

International Coach
United under Ferguson have been reported for "tapping players up", what, conservatively a dozen times? Gotta love the utterly hypocritical outrage tho.
While I accept the hypocrisy, he's quite right, Real Madrid are complete ****s, and have been for a long, long time.

Incidentally, the Dirties losing was a good result for the good of football, very refreshing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anyone giving a rat's about us versus the Seppos tonight? I struggle to care about friendlies at the best of times, but when they're before a tournament that we aren't in it's really difficult.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
probably be a reasonable game (as far as friendlies go anyway), england to win 2-0 i'd have thought, i'll watch at least half of it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Oh my, worst side Capello has put out to date. Defoe starting, Gerrard on the left? geez weird experiment. Not a player on the pitch with much pace or skill other than Rooney. Poor stuff from Capello in this game to date.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Oh my, worst side Capello has put out to date. Defoe starting, Gerrard on the left? geez weird experiment. Not a player on the pitch with much pace or skill other than Rooney. Poor stuff from Capello in this game to date.
8-) Funny how Gerrard has been played on the left both by Sven and Mcdoughnut previously.

Fail to see how this is ahem "poor stuff".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah. Not internatioanl quality & didn't help his case for further first team or even squad chances in the future. Ashton would have been a better choice to start.
Don't think playing Ashton (or Crouch) as a leading striker is a good plan tbh, see him as more of a backup for Rooney, though they are very different players I think a target man should play alongside a more conventional striker rather than as a leading striker.

BTW if Liverpool get Barry, which they probably will, they will do a lot better next season. Him and Gerrard seem to work very well together.

Decent second-half tonight, albeit against poor opposition. Interesting to see all the United players mobbing Terry after this goal.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think playing Ashton (or Crouch) as a leading striker is a good plan tbh, see him as more of a backup for Rooney, though they are very different players I think a target man should play alongside a more conventional striker rather than as a leading striker.
In a full strenght ENG line-up a target men in Crouch, Ashton or Heskey wouldn't start but if you are going to use one in the current side given that neither Crouch/Ashton/Heskey are real goal-scorers they would have to be used the way Heskey was used in the later part of our EURO qualifiers where they use their height (Crouch) or strenght (Heskey/Ashton) to unsettle defenders thus given Rooney or Owen space to run free.

On Defoe seem enough of him on the international stage to know he isn't good enough, yea he has pace but thats it. Wouldn't have much confidence in him againts a major opposition in coming WC qualifiers or come 2010. But i would in any of the target men if they are used in the fashion i just mentioned.

BTW if Liverpool get Barry, which they probably will, they will do a lot better next season. Him and Gerrard seem to work very well together.
Definately, but that would mean dropping Alonso which would be kind of harsh on the spaniard, then again Liverpool could do with some more English players in that squad.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What a stunning riposte, he could not have failed to be convinced by this argument.

FWIW I agree with GIMH and sledger, Defoe starting a decent decision IMO.
Ha , i love how you always run to his defense though. I'm watching you two..

Anyway regardless of the fact that Stevie G played well from the left tonight that doesn't mean he should play from the postion often & to suggest its wasn't a poor idea because the previous two national coaches who have been at the helm of an awful last few years of English football did it is utter nonsense.

Next you will be telling me taking Theo Walcott to the WC, Scholes playing out of position in Euro 04 & trying 3-5-2 in Croatia etc were all brilliant ideas.

FWIW I agree with GIMH and sledger, Defoe starting a decent decision IMO.
Make a long story short if all players are fit an available would you want to see Defoe in the national side if England qualify for WC 2010?

Last edited: