• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne would consider Test return

Would you be supportive of Shane Warne returning to Test Cricket for Australia?

• Total voters

Debris

International 12th Man
If MacGill went down, we'd be screwed and I would have absolutley no issue with him coming back. We'd have very little realistic spin prospects and it's not like he'd be taking the spot of a gifted young spinner, because let's be honest, we don't really have one of those at the moment.
Surely we should at least see how Casson goes at test level before dismissing him. It just looks like we have no prospects because we have not given any young spinners a go.

Besides, we can't being back Warnie because that is exactly the sort of decision that England makes. And I would rather we lost than be England.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If MacGill went down, we'd be screwed and I would have absolutley no issue with him coming back. We'd have very little realistic spin prospects and it's not like he'd be taking the spot of a gifted young spinner, because let's be honest, we don't really have one of those at the moment.

I always thought this was a possibility and that he may have retired a bit too early. I think it really did take everyone by suprise when it happened as most thought he'd go on till 2009. 2006/07 was great revenge but it's not the same as doing it in their own backyard and I'm sure the hunger is still there.
You echo my thoughts. :)

pasag

RTDAS
Surely we should at least see how Casson goes at test level before dismissing him. It just looks like we have no prospects because we have not given any young spinners a go.

Besides, we can't being back Warnie because that is exactly the sort of decision that England makes. And I would rather we lost than be England.
There's plenty of time for Casson to prove himself before and after 2009 and he shouldn't be doing it in the Test arena either without significant FC evidence and especially not for something as important as the Ashes, he should be doing it on the domestic scene and it should be more than just a couple of matches. At this stage I'd rather have a fourth seamer in there, tbh. It's fairly clear that our young spinners are fairly crap.

And regarding going backwards, I don't know where to start there. It's kind of a cliche comment based on a sterotype and it's not really based on much logic. It's simple really, if he's the best spinner in Australia by a fair margin and he's avaliable, then there's no reason why you wouldn't pick him or why he shouldn't do it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At the end of the day, it's not about his legacy, how we remember him or anything at all like that. All that's important is will he do better than any other spinner in Australia in the 2009 Ashes should Stuart MacGill go down.
Disagree completely with that TBH, but you know that.

Think Bradman hit the nail closer to the head in 1948 when he said: "I think there comes a time in every man's life... irrespective of whether he may still be good enough to carry-on or not... that he should make way for a younger man. I feel that, in my own case... and I think I'm probably the best judge of the many little creaks and groans that go on in my joints throughout the day, especially when we're out in the field" etc.

I also don't see, as everyone knows, the "is he better than any other spinner?" thing. If, come 2009, there are 4 (or even 7 or 8) better seamers than Warne, MacGill, Casson or anyone else available, they should play.

Did Warne retire too early is a different question altogether. But as someone (forget who TBH and CBA checking) said - once you've had a fanfared farewell like that, to come back again seems a bit rich in any case.

pasag

RTDAS
Disagree completely with that TBH, but you know that.

Think Bradman hit the nail closer to the head in 1948 when he said: "I think there comes a time in every man's life... irrespective of whether he may still be good enough to carry-on or not... that he should make way for a younger man. I feel that, in my own case... and I think I'm probably the best judge of the many little creaks and groans that go on in my joints throughout the day, especially when we're out in the field" etc.

I also don't see, as everyone knows, the "is he better than any other spinner?" thing. If, come 2009, there are 4 (or even 7 or 8) better seamers than Warne, MacGill, Casson or anyone else available, they should play.

Did Warne retire too early is a different question altogether. But as someone (forget who TBH and CBA checking) said - once you've had a fanfared farewell like that, to come back again seems a bit rich in any case.
Meh, browser froze in the middle of the post, did a print screen and got most of it. First few lines were talking about how just because a player says farewell doesn't necessarily mean it should be the end. People make decisions they regret all the time and something as trivial as saying goodbye shouldn't stop them from doing something as great as helping the team get revenge for 05.

The rest of the post:

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I see what you mean about people making decisions they regret (not like Warne hasn't made many of those already - least, I hope he has regretted them) and trying to undo them. It'd just irritate me to see a farewell like that become merely a farewell-for-two-years. Not that it should for everyone.

However, one thing I don't see is the "revenge for '05" thing. Australia have already had that - in the ultimate way. You could never wish for a better piece of revenge than a whitewash in the immediate next series. If you still want more revenge after that, you're going to be wanting it for the rest of your life.

And as regards the talent-coming-through - well, I'd argue that there is no particular shortage of that TBH either. In Johnson there is the obvious case; there is Tait to come back, even if he doesn't ever amount to much as I wonder whether he will; there is Siddle and Cameron; and there are others, as there always are.

Warne cannot go on forever, even if he delays departure time and again, and someday Australia are going to have to contemplate the truth that they are going to have to start playing without a spinner (or picking a nothing one like Tom Hogan or Greg Matthews or any other Benaud-to-Warne name you care to look at). I don't think 2006/07 was a particularly bad time to depart, at all.

pasag

RTDAS
2005 hurt them (and us) a lot, I don't think the real revenge will be complete till the Ashes are won in England. It's one thing to beat them in your own backyard, but whitewash aside, it's not half as good as beating them in their backyard. Once 2009 comes around, this will be a big theme you can bet on that.

You're right Warne can't go on forever, but right now we don't have to think about forever, we can do that after the Ashes. All that's important now is winning in England and if Warne can help achieve that then he should be there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you (and the team too as far as you can discern) will accept defeat to South Africa if you win over here next summer? :blink:

I'd have thought each series was as important as the next.

Also, interesting that you think revenge would not be complete without victory over here again. Can't say that's a thought that's even occurred to me. Would've thought winning them back at home in front of mostly Australian crowds would've been the ultimate, TBH.

pasag

RTDAS
So you (and the team too as far as you can discern) will accept defeat to South Africa if you win over here next summer? :blink:

I'd have thought each series was as important as the next.

Also, interesting that you think revenge would not be complete without victory over here again. Can't say that's a thought that's even occurred to me. Would've thought winning them back at home in front of mostly Australian crowds would've been the ultimate, TBH.
Not sure what you mean by the bolded. And yeah we lost them in England, so whilst regaining them in Australia is great, it's not complete till we win it in England. I'm pretty sure this is something that's been mentioned in relation to the thoughts of a few of the ageing Australian players and their retirement dates.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure what you mean by the bolded.
Should've broken the quote down I guess, was referring to the part where you said
All that's important now is winning in England
You seemed to be suggesting that it didn't really matter what happened before or after that.

I'd be amazed if Australia weren't more concerned with not being beaten home (especially) and away by South Africa than winning here.

pasag

RTDAS
Should've broken the quote down I guess, was referring to the part where you said...You seemed to be suggesting that it didn't really matter what happened before or after that.
We're talking about a situation where MacGill breaks down right before the 2009 Ashes though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right, thought that was a general remark not specific to the Warne case.

Even so, if MacGill bowls a heap of crap in West Indies and at home to New Zealand (something I find more than conceivable), and Warne happens to declare his availability mid-summer, he'd not be likely to be picked ahead of MacGill? And you'd not want MacGill to be dropped?

pasag

RTDAS
Right, thought that was a general remark not specific to the Warne case.

Even so, if MacGill bowls a heap of crap in West Indies and at home to New Zealand (something I find more than conceivable), and Warne happens to declare his availability mid-summer, he'd not be likely to be picked ahead of MacGill? And you'd not want MacGill to be dropped?
Again, Warne's made it pretty clear that he's talking about a situation where MacGill is injured. However entertaining your scenario, I doubt he'd announce it before the SA series, but if he did it depends where we are at after the SA series. If our replacement spinner does the job well then there'd be no point (which is the original argument, if there are little other options), if they're dire as well and we're back at square one then for sure I'd welcome him with open arms.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't want it already went out on a hight in 05 plus i take with great pride that i saw him take his 600th test wicket live, plusi am already preparing to see Australia bring a 4-prong attack here next.

But then again i reckon Warne is still on top of his game, very tempting option MacGill better step his game up.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He should save this announcement for the Ashes series immediately following his 50th birthday, thereby increasing the angst of a new generation of English batsmen, rather than waste it on those whom he's already played against.
:laugh:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it would be a great thing for the profile of the game if Warne was to return for this one-off series. I know i'd be excited and am suprised how many of you are against it