• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne would consider Test return

Would you be supportive of Shane Warne returning to Test Cricket for Australia?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He should save this announcement for the Ashes series immediately following his 50th birthday, thereby increasing the angst of a new generation of English batsmen, rather than waste it on those whom he's already played against.

biased indian

International Coach
No problm..let him come back..dont have any problem with him being in the side as an indian fan..McGrath is a different case though :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
He should save this announcement for the Ashes series immediately following his 50th birthday, thereby increasing the angst of a new generation of English batsmen, rather than waste it on those whom he's already played against.
No problm..let him come back..dont have any problem with him being in the side as an indian fan..McGrath is a different case though :)
:laugh: :laugh:

Laurrz

International Debutant
its risky, i sorta hope he doesnt

if he has a bad series ..imagine all the flack.. and then he'd feel like ****

its a massive gamble.. so yea if we have NOTHING at all then yes its ok..

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, heard it all before after he retired from ODI's. He bowled beautifully in that Tsunami ODI, people asked whether he'd come back, he said "Maybe" and suddenly the headlines were "Warne considering a come-back!"
Was going to post this exact thing

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd want to see him back just so I could watch him bowl. Such a glorious sight.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
its risky, i sorta hope he doesnt

if he has a bad series ..imagine all the flack.. and then he'd feel like ****

its a massive gamble.. so yea if we have NOTHING at all then yes its ok..
But if he does succeed, he will be lauded to the high heavens. A comeback like that against the old rivals will be sweet.

I agree with Benaud, when picking his all-time X, that I expect Warne to take a load of wickets and to do it in his own style...but what makes him special are his comebacks. From injury, from form, psychological...when all the chips are down. The comebacks he has made that I'd say very few humans, not just cricketers, are able to perform.

So if he does come back and does well, then I think it'll be another "I can't believe Warne did that" moment and it will further his legacy.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Id have no issue.

I hate this cult of youth in International cricket. If he can still perform (thats the question) then he should be picked.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
If he comes back, i won't be supporting it purely because thats just a step backwards, its not something i would want to see in the Australian Cricket.

pasag

RTDAS
If MacGill went down, we'd be screwed and I would have absolutley no issue with him coming back. We'd have very little realistic spin prospects and it's not like he'd be taking the spot of a gifted young spinner, because let's be honest, we don't really have one of those at the moment.

I always thought this was a possibility and that he may have retired a bit too early. I think it really did take everyone by suprise when it happened as most thought he'd go on till 2009. 2006/07 was great revenge but it's not the same as doing it in their own backyard and I'm sure the hunger is still there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Id have no issue.

I hate this cult of youth in International cricket. If he can still perform (thats the question) then he should be picked.
It's not a question of youth though is it? It's a case of someone doing a u-turn after a fanfared retirement. If he can still perform, he shouldn't have retired in the first place, I don't think anyone is saying he is too old?

Also, if he plays next summer, he'll after play in 2010-11 as we are going to regain the Ashes and there is no way he'd finish his career with us holding them :ph34r:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It wont be the first time a player has come back. Its happened all over the world. If he comes back and performs well, we should celebrate it.

Who does not want to see great players play?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
These guys:

Yeah, in theory it's great to see a great making a comeback, but if he messes it up and plays awfully - it's not how I want to remember him, believe it or not, as parochial as I may be from time to time I want to remember Warne the great bowler, not someone who shouldn't have been out there but missed it too much.

it's all theory and hypothetical from me though, as I said in my initial post, I am not opposed to a comeback, it would be good to see the master at work again...in Australia's other series :)

pasag

RTDAS
At the end of the day, it's not about his legacy, how we remember him or anything at all like that. All that's important is will he do better than any other spinner in Australia in the 2009 Ashes should Stuart MacGill go down.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
At the end of the day, it's not about his legacy, how we remember him or anything at all like that. All that's important is will he do better than any other spinner in Australia in the 2009 Ashes should Stuart MacGill go down.
Well if he goes well his legacy would be intact, I know what you are saying.

Let me make myself a little clearer: I would only want Warne to make a comeback if he was still great. I know this is something you disagree with though (ie I think I've read you saying that you want players to play as long as possible as long as they are still test class, even if not as good as they were). My reasons aren't statistical, just that I wouldn't like to see his powers lessened.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well if he goes well his legacy would be intact, I know what you are saying.

Let me make myself a little clearer: I would only want Warne to make a comeback if he was still great. I know this is something you disagree with though (ie I think I've read you saying that you want players to play as long as possible as long as they are still test class, even if not as good as they were). My reasons aren't statistical, just that I wouldn't like to see his powers lessened.
I understand what you are saying. Its exactly my reason for being not so keen on it. I would love to see him bowl but I would not like him to be a shadow of himself.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I understand the arguments regarding legacy, and that he shouldn't be seen as a shadow of himself etc, and gosh I have a romantic side when it comes to sport too...

But at the end of the day (as Pasag said), if he's the best option and returns, then you pick him. He doesn't play for you, me or any other fan, he first and foremost plays for himself and his country/team.

I'm sure Gilly doesn't care that his batting average is 47/48 and not above 50. Would it be nice to have it above 50? Yeah. But I bet a million dollars he'd give up those 2-3 runs to be able to celebrate a 5-0 Ashes series victory and a series victory over India than retire early with his average above 50.

Same goes for Warne. The difference of course is that he made a big deal about his retirement and then came back, different to Viv or Gilly just playing as long as they wanted to and enjoyed the game. But as long as Warne doesn't become Rolling Stones/John Farnham-esque with his retiremenet/farewells, it shouldn't be an issue.