• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL match discussion thread

sideshowtim

Banned
Oh well he can buy plenty of tissues with 1.4 million. he shouldn't be rejected he should like the rest of the team questioning Laxman's captaincy.
Yeah, well without Symonds in their team it probably wouldn't have even got the position where Deccan were in with a chance of winning the game. Laxman's terrible captaincy is mostly to blame, although it must be said that Symo REALLY needs to work on his bowling. It's got to the point where he is just a very good batsman and fielder in One Day cricket, his bowling is almost worth nothing now.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, well without Symonds in their team it probably wouldn't have even got the position where Deccan were in with a chance of winning the game. Laxman's terrible captaincy is mostly to blame, although it must be said that Symo REALLY needs to work on his bowling. It's got to the point where he is just a very good batsman and fielder in One Day cricket, his bowling is almost worth nothing now.
My feeling is that all things considered, Styris in for Symonds (when he goes to WI) will be a pretty good swap.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Symonds has such an incredibly amazing T20 batting record, that he'd be better off to never bowl.

sideshowtim

Banned
:laugh:

I'm sorry, but you can't heap the blame on Laxman. You can't blame those sorts of bowling figures on anybody but the bowler.
Symonds had been bowling terribly all throughout the tournament....Why on Earth would you throw him on to bowl the death over when he had been so very, very easily hittable all tournament? The blame is about 90% VVS, 10% Symonds IMO.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Symonds had been bowling terribly all throughout the tournament....Why on Earth would you throw him on to bowl the death over when he had been so very, very easily hittable all tournament? The blame is about 90% VVS, 10% Symonds IMO.
If he had been bowling terribly, then why didn't he: a) Do something about it? or, b) Tell VVS and say that he didn't want to bowl.

Either way, it doesn't surprise me that you are saying Symonds (an Australian) has done very little wrong in the issue.

sideshowtim

Banned
If he had been bowling terribly, then why didn't he: a) Do something about it? or, b) Tell VVS and say that he didn't want to bowl.

Either way, it doesn't surprise me that you are saying Symonds (an Australian) has done very little wrong in the issue.
a) What's he meant to do, become a better bowler in the space of a few overs?
b) Doesn't matter what the player says, what the captain says goes, as you would know if you had ever played or watched cricket. You always follow the captain's orders.

Symonds has certainly done wrong in that he has bowled terribly and has done so for the whole tournament, Laxman is mostly at fault for failing to realise this and bowling him in the most important over of the game. I can see what he was trying to do, be a creative, innovative captain, but he fell horribly short of the mark.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Because Symonds is known as an all-rounder and he had no main bowlers left so decided to use his next most experienced and best bowler available. If he hadn't used Symonds, and they lost, people would be saying he's an idiot for not bowling him.

Can't win really.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It is not as if Laxman is an inexperienced captain though, he has captained Hyderabad, South Zone and India A - he made a calculated risk and unfortunately, it did not pay off.

sideshowtim

Banned
Because Symonds is known as an all-rounder and he had no main bowlers left so decided to use his next most experienced and best bowler available. If he hadn't used Symonds, and they lost, people would be saying he's an idiot for not bowling him.

Can't win really.
Exactly, he is a very poor captain and manager of the bowlers. It's also his fault for putting them in a situation where a dire 5th option bowler had to bowl the last one.

funnygirl

State Regular
Haha, sorry, no.
Ofcourse yes ,Giving the ;last important over to a proven failure is captains fault .I would put 70% blame on Laxman and i have no doubt that DC will be much better if he got replaced by some other .I am not a supporter of any particular team .But to tell the truth .Laxman was/is /will be a poor captain in IPL .

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Did Puma decided they didn't want to sponsor Watto any more now he snapped their bat? He was playing without any stickers on his bat today.

sideshowtim

Banned
Is Ponting a dire captain because of Lewis?
Ponting is a great captain, but he isn't perfect, and bowling Lewis' full 10 was a mistake against SA. However keeping him on at the death against NZ wasn't a bad idea as Lewis had a rep as a very good death bowler and his death bowling actually saved a game for us in the CH series, so Ponting was justified there. I can't remember the last time Symonds' death bowling was seen as effective, ever.

ret

International Debutant
Hoping for Bangalore, Delhi and Jaipur for semi spot. Class bowling and class batting.
ah-ha, nice to see you accepting that Taylor, Kohli, Misbah, Boucher, Sehwag, Gambhir, Tiwary are class batsmen :D

i support all teams from the North-Western region .... would love to have all four coming in to the semis but Kolkatta Knigh Riders are playing well and some for its overseas players will play most of the tourney, so i hope that it's a musical chair b/w these 5

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
ah-ha, nice to see you accepting that Taylor, Kohli, Misbah, Boucher, Sehwag, Gambhir, Tiwary are class batsmen :D

i support all teams from the North-Western region .... would love to have all four coming in to the semis but Kolkatta Knigh Riders are playing well and some for its overseas players will play most of the tourney, so i hope that it's a musical chair b/w these 5
Didn't say all three teams have class batting. They have some combination of class bowling or batting.