• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket League and Indian premier league

chris.hinton

International Captain
Can anyone tell me what is the best one and who has the better players. Can anyone just give me some info on both.

Indian premier league looks better but some players are not involved in the first year

And how does this effect the twenty20 champions league

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Basically, IPL is the approved version with all the major international starts available and ready to play in it.. It is the one which will affect the Champions Trophy Twenty20 league.

ICL is being treated as a rebel league and is mainly just a collection of a lot of retired, semi retired, or not able to make the national side, international cricketers and the similar kind of domestic cricketers who know there isn't much of a chance to make it for their national sides. People signing up with the ICL are being banned from all national domestic competitions apart from becoming ineligible for selection for their national sides.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
People signing up with the ICL are being banned from all national domestic competitions apart from becoming ineligible for selection for their national sides.
The English guys, Solanki, Read etc will be playing County Cricket this season, will they not?

I dont think they are banned from domestic comps.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I hope that Solanki is not banned from playing for Worcester

I read about the PCb stance nd i do think that it is unfair

sideshowtim

Banned
The English guys, Solanki, Read etc will be playing County Cricket this season, will they not?

Depends on the ruling of each board I suppose. I know CA has banned any player joining the ICL from playing domestic cricket in Australia.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
England are allowing English players to still play in the county comp, but no overseas players that played in ICL, unless they are allowed to by their home board. Biggest joke ever, double standards to the max IMO.

West Indies allow their players to play in the domestic comp as well. Ireland are pushing for their players to play internationally. Basically it is just depends on the country and their own stance.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
For some time, it seems, the Lankan board chief actually supported the ICL, possibly because he was miffed that IPL was mre a consortium of India, Australia, SA and NZ and no others.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
For some time, it seems, the Lankan board chief actually supported the ICL, possibly because he was miffed that IPL was mre a consortium of India, Australia, SA and NZ and no others.
Gunawardene has been banned from domestic and international cricket in Sri Lanka for signing with the ICL. So I doubt they support the ICL.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I don't think they are coming back to the ICL either... Maybe that's why.. Not sure.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ok with most of the names for the IPL at least provisionally announced I thought Id rank them in my own personal order of prefference.

Interested to see what others think.
So in order of best to worst.

1. Chandigarh Lions - You cant go wrong with lions. Just means business
2. Rajasthan Royals - Fits well and sounds good
3. Kolkata Tigers - In the same vein as Lions. Gives it a sence of controlled agression
4. Lahore Badshahs - Dont know what it means but sounds ok and it reads as 'Bad Asses' in my mind :)
5. Ahmedabad Rockets - Sounds ok and has positive connotations and visions of things being launch into the sky as the ball is in T20
6. Chennai Superstars- A little generic but you have to like the bravado
7. Delhi Giants- Again quite generic but a decent name that have a good pedigree across sports around the World
8. Chennai Super Kings- Apart from being a cig brand, it sound like a Japanese 'Engrish' phrase that doesnt really fit together well.
9. Delhi Daredevils- I dont like it but I could see how others would. Just doesnt do anything for me.
10. Mumbai Indians- Not a bad name if they were playing Internationally but the other teams will be based in India also and the Mumbai team will have foreign players. I dont get it.
11. Hyderabad Heroes - Sound like a cheap make of imported toys
12. Mumbai Champs - See Hyderabad Heroes
13. Bangalore Royal Challengers - Sounds ok but seems to lack ambition
14. Kolkata Knight Riders - A name based on an 80s TV show :wacko: and the name conjures nothing to do with cricket.

Ungraded
IPL Hyderabad
IPL Mohali

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Badshah = King. And as for the Knight Riders - it might not conjure 80s TV show to us, but to the target audience - I doubt they ever heard of it. I think the worst name is probably Mumbai Indians, and Chennai Super Kings, personally.

Last edited:

Janus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
4. Lahore Badshahs - Dont know what it means but sounds ok and it reads as 'Bad Asses' in my mind :)
I wasn't all that interesting in this years ICL until I saw that team and the name. Sounds ferocious and if you look at the list of players I'd have to say they look the strongest.

As far as the names in general go, some of them are absolutely terrible. Mumbai Champs, Chennai Superstars, Chennai Super Kings being the worst of the lot. Having said that I'm a bit of a Dhoni Fan so I'll be Backing the Super Kings no matter how bad the name is and how bad they make the kit.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
ICL is being treated as a rebel league and is mainly just a collection of a lot of retired, semi retired, or not able to make the national side, international cricketers and the similar kind of domestic cricketers who know there isn't much of a chance to make it for their national sides.
Withall due respect HB, aren't Mcgrath, Warne, Fleming etc already retired and that the captains of Kolkata, Mumbai, Delhi, Jaipur and Hyderabad teams aren't considered good enough to make it to their country's Twenty20 teams.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Goughy said:
Ok with most of the names for the IPL at least provisionally announced I thought Id rank them in my own personal order of prefference.

Interested to see what others think.
In no particular order-
  1. Rajasthan Royals- Good name. Conforms well to their history.
  2. Delhi Daredevils- Just right for them. Let's just hope they play just as bravely.
  3. Deccan Chargers- Masterstroke.
  4. Lahore Badshahs- Good one.
  5. Delhi Jets- We don't know where they pulled that from, but it's neat.
  6. Delhi Giants- Less boisterous, but more generic.
  7. Chennai Superstars- Obviously inspired by the superstar status of film stars in Chennai. Look at their promo video.
  8. Mumbai Champs- It's a pity there are no genuine champs, and only also-rans from nearby rivals in this team, which is hardly a champion team.
  9. Hyderabad Heroes- Not bad. Just that.
  10. Kolkata Tigers- They've claimed that reference to the Bengal Tiger before their more official counterparts. Good move.
  11. Chandigarh Lions- They STOLE that name from the Mumbai Ranji logo. Good move, but can be annoying.
  12. Chennai Superkings- Rip-off. Their claim about going back to Tamil history doesn't deny this.
  13. Kings XI Punjab- Not bad at all, but Kings are taken.
  14. Ahmedabad Rockets- Rip-off.
  15. Kolkata Knightriders- Trying really hard to find a name.
  16. Mumbai Indians- This attempt at 'being different from a football or basketball or hockey team' is terrible. It can possibly affect the team's brand value negatively, and how!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Withall due respect HB, aren't Mcgrath, Warne, Fleming etc already retired and that the captains of Kolkata, Mumbai, Delhi, Jaipur and Hyderabad teams aren't considered good enough to make it to their country's Twenty20 teams.
yeah, but look at how many retired and semi retired guys are playing in the ICL, compared to the IPL.

It is quite obvious that because of the BCCI and the other boards stringent (even if it is ridiculous) bans, most of the guys signing up for ICL are either already retired or almost nearing retirement, aren't they?

It is a pity because I do think the ICL is good, in fact it is really good and I have to hand it to the Essel guys, they have definitely pulled out all the stops to make it a success... But still going against the BCCI means they can only do so much.. :(