• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So how good or otherwise are England at ODI cricket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We've now finished a winter's work which plenty of people can claim has held lots of positives. I remain fairly convinced that our ODI team is the worst of the 8 serious forces, as it has been fairly comfortably for the last 7 years. I cast my eye over the players I'd say would be "current":

James Anderson - never been much of a ODI bowler for mine, his figures have flattered him more than a few times, but even despite this his economy-rate against ODI-standard teams is at the culmination of this winter over 5-an-over, and the average over 30. I don't know how much longer we're going to be able to pretend.

Ian Bell - still completely remain to be convinced of his worth in the shorter game, though he's obviously better than many batsmen we've tried of late.

Ian Blackwell - bit of a stretch, given he last played in the winter of 2005\06, but with 29 ODIs against ODI-standard teams behind him and a reasonable economy-rate of 4.32-an-over (average 37.13) it remains a mystery that MSP was ever selected ahead of him, though Graeme Swann is clearly the superior bowler. I still don't think his chances of returning to the fray are completely gone, though I've never thought a hell of a lot of him either.

Ravinder Bopara - still all he's done in his career to date is play those two breathtakingly calm innings against Sri Lanka (in what was essentially his first ODI innings) and India at Old Trafford. Now, perhaps it'd be a bit harsh to judge him with any great conviction. These two innings aside, he's had 14 others against ODI-standard sides. In 8 of these I think you could accurately sum-up that he had roughly zero opportunity to make a significant impact - either the game was already effectively decided when he walked to the crease or he was coming in with a handful of overs left in the first-innings. Yet in the other 6 he's been roundly disappointing, not showing a trace of the required traits to play the role he's been given. So really, there's no point in him batting at seven, ever again. If he is to be recalled, it has to be in the top-order, and given that Bell, Pietersen and Collingwood appear ensconced there there doesn't appear any immediate prospect of that.

Stuart Broad - a fairly decent winter's work for the Leics\Notts seamer: though his economy-rate (5-an-over) remained poor, his average (22) was excellent. There's perhaps just 4 games out of 10 that you could actually say he bowled terribly well in, and undoubtedly he benefited from friendly surfaces. I remain to be convinced, but he's certainly done better this winter than he'd ever done before (after his first 16 games his record read 5.15-an-over at 36.68).

Paul Collingwood - averaged 29.50 this winter, fairly typically nondescript.

Alastair Cook - pretty much the same now as it was at the start of last summer: promise, but still much to be done if he's to become a ODI opener out of the top (and increasingly unopened type of) drawer. Had 19 innings since becoming a first-choice now, and has played several fine innings, but has also fallen cheaply too often, as well as too often wasting too many deliveries then getting out. I still want him at the top of the order, as I don't see anyone else doing a better job, but as I say - much to be done if he's to become an integral part of a powerful England ODI side.

Jamie Dalrymple - not sure we'll ever see him again, and was poorly used later on in his career, batting (not unlike Bopara) in a position he was completely dissuited to. But like Bopara, he doesn't really immediately strike as having many of the tools to succeed in ODIs. And also like Bopara, seems some people think more of his bowling than they should.

Andrew Flintoff - the only remaining current player to have played in the 1990s (and even then, he damn well should not have done), it appears more and more unlikely with every new setback that Flintoff will ever be a true force again. A shame, as he's a good head above all England's other ODI bowlers and, while never a batsman of any remarkable class, certainly good for runs far more often than most bowlers. Let's hope we see him again, and soon.

Edmund Joyce - now aged 29, his time needs to come soon or it may never do. Still think he's a better bet than some for a ODI middle-order berth, but I'd still have Afzaal ahead of him of those not currently in the side.

Sajid Mahmood - I sincerely hope we never see Mahmood in the ODI shirt again, as he's comfortably the worst bowler I've ever seen play 21 ODIs (which is what he has against ODI-standard teams). With an economy-rate of 6.28-an-over, an average of 42, and more significantly than ever, 14 performances of such utter woefulness they not merely beggar belief but also totally obscure the fact that he has actually bowled well on a couple of occasions (India in Jamshedpur, Pakistan at Edgbaston). And also decidely on the poor side of average on 4 other occasions.

Dimitri Mascarenhas - a poor tour of New Zealand, after a frustrating one of Sri Lanka, but he was far from the only bowler to cop punishment (6.64-an-over) on the misshapen grounds. Provided he starts next summer well domestically, I still very much want him to be in the first team picked for a ODI in it.

Philip Mustard - as I said in the tour thread: 10 ODI innings, 1 half-century on a ground where a decent chipmunk player could probably score more often than not, and an average of 16.66 in the other 9. I was wrong about him being the next Matthew Prior: he's actually even worse.

Monty Panesar - should never have played a ODI at the current time, and it showed as he conceded (against ODI-standard sides) 4.70-an-over, coupled with an average of 47.83. Classic case of the assumption being made that a good Test bowler is ODI ready despite considerable domestic evidence he's not. If MSP is to learn how to bowl in the one-day game, he needs to do it in domestic cricket. And now Swann has proved himself MSP's superior, hopefully he might do that. If he doesn't, though, the notion that he's a good Test bowler so has to be a good ODI one must be dumped. And we all know there's not much chance of that.

Kevin Pietersen - still obviously the best one-day batsman in the country, and by a long way too with Trescothick absent. But since the summer of 2007 his performances have not suggested this at all: in 20 innings he averages 31.05, with just 2 scores over 53. Needs to get back to his normal self, really. Thankfully he's one person we can have reasonable confidence does actually have it in him.

Liam Plunkett - after the start he had (after 16 games he had an economy-rate of 6.11-an-over, coupled with an average of 44.87) it would probably have been something close to inconceivable that he'd manage 19 wickets in 9 games at an average of 23.57 (despite the economy-rate remaining execrable at 5.68-an-over), which he has in his last 9 games against ODI-standard sides. Yet I think most people know this involved not-much in the way of good bowling and a lot of being in the right place at the right time. We might well see him again, and if he gets belted again without getting gifted any more wickets to dispel any myth that those figures in early 2007 might actually be a promising sign, that's probably good.

Matthew Prior - as we all know, picked as an aggressive opener, he hasn't been anything of the sort. 22.57 isn't even a remotely good enough average even if he was doing the aggressive job anyway. Hopefully we'll never see him again, even if it does mean we're subjected to Mustard for a bit longer in the meantime.

Owais Shah - credit where it's due, he's been better in his most recent phase than he'd ever been in his previous 3. However, after a good series against West Indies, he's averaged 28.50 in his next 14 innings from the India series onwards, and that would be 21.15 if Umpires could spot edges to wicketkeepers. Still think there's next to no chance he'll ever be a ODI-standard batsman.

Ryan Sidebottom - looking like developing into a decent ODI bowler, opening and in the middle. And occasionally even at the end. :blink:

Graeme Swann - excellent start (effectively) to his career in Sri Lanka, disappointing time in NZ but I'm actually not sorry at all that he missed the last 3 games. No spinner is ever going to get much from being slogged over stupidly short boundaries. Just a shame it happened at all in the first 2 games. Still fully expect him to start next summer well domestically and come straight back into the ODI side.

Chris Tremlett - 6 ODIs against ODI-standard teams, economy-rate 6.18-an-over, average 84.25. Let's hope we never see him in the shorter form of the game again, as it might damage his undoubted prospects in the longer one.

Luke Wright - still truly flabbergasted he's ever got anywhere near a ODI side. Looks positively oafish with bat in hand, and if someone suggests to me that he can bowl to any decent standard I might have to kill them.

Michael Yardy - until Wright I'd never have believed a worse supposed-all-round player could be selected. I was wrong there, but I wasn't wrong about how awful Yardy is. Still cannot fathom how, even with his being-in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time, he's probably going to finish with a career economy-rate of 3.21-an-over. But the fact that he's a batsman, and one who averages less than 20 at domestic level, tells its own story.

This doesn't really fill me with confidence. Anyone honestly feel differently?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I still think you're wrong about Wright. But time will tell :) One of us can bump this thread in 5 years time and can be smug about it! :laugh:

Cant really argue with the rest, although Broad and Cook are still very young so i think you are a bit harsh to criticise them so early in their careers.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Wright's job is to be "oafish" with the bat, to have a swing. You're critising him for performing his role in the side! And he's bowled 7 ODI overs, ffs!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wright's job is to be "oafish" with the bat, to have a swing. You're critising him for performing his role in the side! And he's bowled 7 ODI overs, ffs!
The issue IMO is whether you can afford to have a single spot reserved for a player with such a limited brief.

Im sure he has a set role, but that role could possibly be splt between players aready selected and try to get closer to an International quality bat in his place.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
England are crap, and they have been since the 92 World Cup.

Ofcourse, Test matches, well, thats another story :(

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel that you are underrating a few. Stuart Broad is a very good prospect and extracts enough bounce to trouble most batsmen. It would seem that he rarely goes for big runs when the others bowl well, he seems to be a victim of getting slogged after some poor opening bowling from Jimmy.

In his six innings, Dimi has played the role of the lower order hitter very well. His strike rate of 132.29 shows this. You seem to brush past his batting but his batting in the lower order could be vital for England in the death and to chase totals.

You seem to be baffled by Ryan Sidebottom too rather than impressed with the progress he has made and his adaptability. Everyone said that he'd be useless outside England, but little did the critics know that he has some 140kph pace (when the occasion calls) with only a slightly varied load up and no concievable loss in accuracy. He is an extremely talented bowler and England's best ODI bowler in my opinion. I just wish he'd stop doing that strange grimace at the batsman, meant to intimidate, which just shows off his yellow teeth.

Don't be too quick to write off Tremlett, I think it would be harsh to do so based pretty much on getting taken apart by Ganguly and Tendulkar, both of whom are arguably in the bracket of greatest ODI openers. Same about Sajid Mahmood, currently, he is still raw, but as Sidebottom has shown, County Cricket is a great place to perfect the action and make it repeatable (Saj's biggest problem). He has pace and that is the greatest gift of all. There are few bowlers of his pace who have not at least had one good run in international cricket.

However, I agree with your scepticism about the batsmen. England neither have batsmen who can score heavily (ie. average 40), nor people who can score over 10 runs quickly.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I feel that you are underrating a few. Stuart Broad is a very good prospect and extracts enough bounce to trouble most batsmen. It would seem that he rarely goes for big runs when the others bowl well, he seems to be a victim of getting slogged after some poor opening bowling from Jimmy.

In his six innings, Dimi has played the role of the lower order hitter very well. His strike rate of 132.29 shows this. You seem to brush past his batting but his batting in the lower order could be vital for England in the death and to chase totals.

You seem to be baffled by Ryan Sidebottom too rather than impressed with the progress he has made and his adaptability. Everyone said that he'd be useless outside England, but little did the critics know that he has some 140kph pace (when the occasion calls) with only a slightly varied load up and no concievable loss in accuracy. He is an extremely talented bowler and England's best ODI bowler in my opinion. I just wish he'd stop doing that strange grimace at the batsman, meant to intimidate, which just shows off his yellow teeth.

Don't be too quick to write off Tremlett, I think it would be harsh to do so based pretty much on getting taken apart by Ganguly and Tendulkar, both of whom are arguably in the bracket of greatest ODI openers. Same about Sajid Mahmood, currently, he is still raw, but as Sidebottom has shown, County Cricket is a great place to perfect the action and make it repeatable (Saj's biggest problem). He has pace and that is the greatest gift of all. There are few bowlers of his pace who have not at least had one good run in international cricket.

However, I agree with your scepticism about the batsmen. England neither have batsmen who can score heavily (ie. average 40), nor people who can score over 10 runs quickly.
AWTA, AWTA, AWTA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, often enough in his career so far he's opened the bowling alongside Anderson. And he's had his good spells and his bad ones, regardless of where he's bowled or how Anderson's bowled. Broad is indeed an excellent prospect, but I've always felt people have overplayed what he's done so far because of that, and I think they continue to do so.
Mascarenhas will always be a bowler far more than a batsman. It annoys me greatly when people focus on the secondary strength of an all-round cricketer. I saw it for years and years with Mark Ealham, he suffered badly by it in fact. Mascarenhas and Ealham are both very fine OD bowlers, and while both are indeed useful lower-order strikers it is their bowling which makes them notable to me. So it is always that which I will comment on to the overwhelming degree.
I'm certainly not baffled by Sidebottom's improvements, though I confess I'm just a little surprised he's done as well in ODIs as he has, because I wasn't quite expecting that.

Either way, it certainly doesn't stop me crediting him as England's best OD bowler in the current absence of Flintoff, not at all. Long may his good bowling continue.
Don't be too quick to write off Tremlett, I think it would be harsh to do so based pretty much on getting taken apart by Ganguly and Tendulkar, both of whom are arguably in the bracket of greatest ODI openers.
It's not just that though. Tremlett has now had three forays into ODI cricket and has looked the same in all. In 2005, in 2006\07 and in 2007. Sure, the batsmen have been good, but that's what you expect. If you can't bowl to these batsmen, you're not going to make the grade.

Tremlett has never overtly impressed me at the domestic level either. In the First-Class game I've not seen much of him and he undoubtedly bowled very well in the Tests he played last summer. In the one-day domestic and international games, however, it's been roundly uninspiring stuff, and he's been around a fair while now, so while I never write a player off completely, as I said - I'm not confident at all that Tremlett will amount to anything in the ODI game.
Same about Sajid Mahmood, currently, he is still raw, but as Sidebottom has shown, County Cricket is a great place to perfect the action and make it repeatable (Saj's biggest problem). He has pace and that is the greatest gift of all. There are few bowlers of his pace who have not at least had one good run in international cricket.
We don't really know that, though, do we? Only a very small number of bowlers ever have their speeds timed. There could easily be bowlers languishing in club Second XI stuff who bowl reasonably similar speeds, who just don't possess the skill to move up. There are those who'd claim - myself amongst them - that perhaps Saj himself shouldn't really have got all that far above that level.

Also, please, please don't compare Sidebottom to Mahmood! :blink: Sidebottom wasn't international-class in his first foray, but he was never even close to being as bad as Mahmood is and always has been.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Decent side, which will have their good days and bad days but unlike what some of the Sky boys were saying I can’t see this current crop of players transforming into anything special in the future. The problems areas which need addressing for me are…

1. Finding an adequate spinner, who can play in any conditions.
2. Defining Ian Bell’s role at three, which is either to bat throughout the innings (similarly to Jacques Kallis) or go out and 'attack' in the PowerPlays.
3. Having someone in the middle overs who looks like taking a wicket, we currently have one unthreatening medium pacer too many.​

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LOL on your call on Wright.
I still think you're wrong about Wright. But time will tell :) One of us can bump this thread in 5 years time and can be smug about it! :laugh:
The issue IMO is whether you can afford to have a single spot reserved for a player with such a limited brief.

Im sure he has a set role, but that role could possibly be splt between players aready selected and try to get closer to an International quality bat in his place.
This is precisely the issue (as Kev highlights). I'm well aware Wright's set role is such a thing - it's just not something I see him, or anyone else, having much success with. Wright simply lacks class to my eyes. It's exactly the same with Mustard. I might be wrong, but as our friend Neil Pickup is so fond of saying "it ain't often". Usually you can tell which players lack class and simply play an uber-aggressive game, as it is all that is available to them to make the most of the limited talent they have. I'm fairly confident I can tell such in these two's case (and Mr Pickup's comments tend to suggest he feels the same way). Ian Bell isn't a particularly outstanding ODI player, but he has the class that these two lack. Heck, Vikram Solanki has it, and he certainly wasn't a remotely outstanding ODI player.

As regards Wright's bowling - Jamee, you are aware that ODIs are not the only level of the OD game? Of course you are. Wright is an awful bowler, there's ample evidence of that. I could tell you that if his ODI over tally read 0.
SpaceMonkey said:
Cant really argue with the rest, although Broad and Cook are still very young so i think you are a bit harsh to criticise them so early in their careers.
Why? As I've been at pains to point-out, I certainly don't feel either are unlikely to amount to anything. But currently, both very much have their limitations. In Cook's case, most people seem aware of this. In Broad's, much less so. People seem to think Broad can walk on water, when currently he is still very much a bowler with his flaws.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England are crap, and they have been since the 92 World Cup.
That's not strictly true, though. They have been since the winter of 2000\01, I'd go that far. But between 1991\92 and 2000, while we didn't win much of any note (there were only a couple of major tournaments, really), we certainly weren't as bad as we have been more recently.

And what's worse is that, especially as the last England ODI that was shown live on free-to-air TV was in 1999, virtually no-one seems to care greatly any more. Crapness breeds indifference, indifference breeds still worse crapness. There's no doubt which chicken or egg came first, but there's also no doubt that it's a cycle that shows no immediate sign of ending.

Bad selections haven't helped matters of course, but if there's a broad base of good players you can get away more readily with bad selections. The smaller the base of quality players, the better selection needs to be, and there are few if any national selectors who've been up to the task. Plenty of CW posters could do better.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
And what's worse is that, especially as the last England ODI that was shown live on free-to-air TV was in 1999, virtually no-one seems to care greatly any more. Crapness breeds indifference, indifference breeds still worse crapness. There's no doubt which chicken or egg came first, but there's also no doubt that it's a cycle that shows no immediate sign of ending.
TBF in the late 80s & early 90s (which I am, sadly, old enough to recall) when we had arguably the best ODI team in the world, the public generally still viewed one-dayers as a warm-up act for the main event.

Anyway, to answer the question in the thread's title: otherwise, obv.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Of the players listed only Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Andrew Flintoff, Monty Panesar, Kevin Pietersen, and possibly Ryan Sidebottom are International Class cricketers. Bell, Panesar and Cook aren't going to be regular ODI match winners and Flintoff is never fit. The likes of Mascarenhas and Mustard will do something spectacular every now and then and stay in the squad because of it. They're not developing anything for the future as there's so little to work with.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF in the late 80s & early 90s (which I am, sadly, old enough to recall) when we had arguably the best ODI team in the world, the public generally still viewed one-dayers as a warm-up act for the main event.
Oh, sure, but at least they were viewed as such on terrestrial TV rather than just in the papers or on CricInfo.

And of course, viewing ODIs as < Tests is, well, quite right as far as any true conniossuer of the game is concerned. But to view them as not worth bothering about is plain crazy.
Anyway, to answer the question in the thread's title: otherwise, obv.
Was kinda hoping for a bit more in-depth analysis TBH. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The likes of Mascarenhas and Mustard will do something spectacular every now and then and stay in the squad because of it. They're not developing anything for the future as there's so little to work with.
Mustard, yes; Mascarenhas, though, could quite possibly be a very good bowler to bowl in the middle overs of a ODI, given normal-sized boundaries and anything other than exceptionally flat pitch.

I honestly believe that in said circumstances he'll give you 10 overs for less than 40, sometmes quite a bit less, more often than not. And smash the odd quick 20 or 30 at the end of an innings as a bonus.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
My thoughts are that Dimi needs to come in higher than he does, something like say maybe:

1. Mustard+ - I think he's the best option ATM
  2. Cook
  3. Bell - Proved he can do the job against India
  4. Pietersen - gun
  5. Collingwood (6) - Captain, Finisher, Bowler
  6. Shah - Bats well with Collingwood, can hit
  7. Mascarenhas (5) - Can HIT!, Good medium pacer as well
  8. Swann (4) - Useful lower order, decent spinner
  9. Broad (3) - Very good young seamer
  10. Sidebottom (1) - Our bowling ace
  11. Anderson (2) - Did well in SL, slipped up in NZ, but is the best option. Saves runs in the field

I think that Colly's a perfectly fine fifth bowler, and we might be able to drop Anderson/Swann for another batsman, as long as we're able to shuffle the batting order to get Mascarenhas in during the last 10/5 overs. Colly's role in my side would be to do the overs of whomever is having a bad day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's certainly not the worst side, including vitally five frontline bowlers (plus Collingwood) which is always something I look for. Trouble is, Mascarenhas is simply no way a ODI-class #7. I will never believe that.

But how on Earth did Anderson do well in Sri Lanka? Got pasted in the First and Fifth games, and did moderately in the Second and Third on two of the most seam-friendly surfaces you'll ever see. All right, he had a couple of catches dropped, but even so - he was woeful, Fourth ODI aside.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The thing that worries me about Dimi at 7 is what happens on a tricky pitch, if he comes in and we need 40 off the last 10 overs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, exactly that sort of thing. Swann would be little better, either.

That's where Flintoff (or someone suchlike) is such a huge plus.