• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Evermind

International Debutant
MotM will be either Pathan if India win, or whoever goes on to score big for Aus if they win.

I'd say it could go either way here, just about 50-50 odds. I'm still tipping Australia to win this - if Hussey and Ponting dig in, the game's theirs to lose.

Australia really missed having Hayden dictate terms at the top. Neither of these openers are - yet - in the same league as Langer and Hayden. I guess that'll come with experience. Australia have also missed having a genuine all-rounder in their team, as Pathan has made invaluable contributions with both bat and ball.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
MotM will be either Pathan if India win, or whoever goes on to score big for Aus if they win.

I'd say it could go either way here, just about 50-50 odds. I'm still tipping Australia to win this - if Hussey and Ponting dig in, the game's theirs to lose.

Australia really missed having Hayden dictate terms at the top. Neither of these openers are - yet - in the same league as Langer and Hayden. I guess that'll come with experience. Australia have also missed having a genuine all-rounder in their team, as Pathan has made invaluable contributions with both bat and ball.
Andrew Symonds? 66 and a few wickets, and still to bat in the second innings?
If he contributes in the second innings, actually think he's looking good for MotM here as well - if Australia win.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Some may ask why he was playing at it at all.
Agreed - it was a good ball, but one that Jaques should never have been anywhere near. On length alone he could have comfortably left it on this pitch. Added to that the huge flash and miss he had at a near wide a few balls before and you have to ask, as I did, where his head was.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It showed a mass amount of inexperience, really. That's all it comes down to. He is a fine batsman, but in situations like these you need your experienced guys out there. Makes us realise how valuable Hayden really is.
But the guy has played how many FC innings? We pat ourselves on the back that our system produces ready made test cricketers who have 100 games of FC under their belt - so I think its fair to hold them to a high standard in terms of their mindset, even if they've only played 8 tests. I don't hate Jaques, I wanted him in ahead of Rogers and have been pleased to see him do well, but I thought he was poor this evening given the situation of the match.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But the guy has played how many FC innings? We pat ourselves on the back that our system produces ready made test cricketers who have 100 games of FC under their belt - so I think its fair to hold them to a high standard in terms of their mindset, even if they've only played 8 tests. I don't hate Jaques, I wanted him in ahead of Rogers and have been pleased to see him do well, but I thought he was poor this evening given the situation of the match.
Yeah, couldn't understand some of the shots he played today. Looks like the pressure of the situation got to him a bit.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A lot of credit goes to India for competing, and competing so well, after Sydney. Jono was saying how losing a match like Sydney can have a deflating effect on teams - effect which is near impossible to come back from. Plus, it is Perth with bounce and India aren't traditionally known to play on more bouncier wickets (this is a good batting wicket mind, just not one India have been traditionally good at playing on). I have said a fair few times that any one who thinks India are bad tourists are living in the 90s and back and the performance here reiterates that India are no longer bad tourists again.

On another note, love the spirit in which the test match has been played. This is one of my favourite test matches. The two teams have not given any quarter, nor asked for any back. Yet, the teams have played with respect and smiles. Moment of the game for me was when the Gilchrist hand shake with Kumble after Kumble got 600. The Pathan-Lee banter was great to watch, as were players saying the ball had bumped, players walking and the smiles.

From a cricketing point of view, the way Pathan has bowled has been very special.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
A lot of credit goes to India for competing, and competing so well, after Sydney. Jono was saying how losing a match like Sydney can have a deflating effect on teams - effect which is near impossible to come back from. Plus, it is Perth with bounce and India aren't traditionally known to play on more bouncier wickets (this is a good batting wicket mind, just not one India have been traditionally good at playing on). I have said a fair few times that any one who thinks India are bad tourists are living in the 90s and back and the performance here reiterates that India are no longer bad tourists again.

On another note, love the spirit in which the test match has been played. This is one of my favourite test matches. The two teams have not given any quarter, nor asked for any back. Yet, the teams have played with respect and smiles. Moment of the game for me was when the Gilchrist hand shake with Kumble after Kumble got 600. The Pathan-Lee banter was great to watch, as were players saying the ball had bumped, players walking and the smiles.

From a cricketing point of view, the way Pathan has bowled has been very special.
Pretty much agree with everything in this post :)

Tony

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Agree except they could have been better tourists if they prepared for the first test as well as this one

Tony

It took a thrashing in Melbourne and some poor umpiring decisions in Sydney to fire them up. They should have been better prepared for the Melbourne test which administrators have to take some responsibility for with programming but it is normal these days. They showed they can play well in Perth so they should have done better in Melbourne where they were expected to have a better chance. Overlooked a bit after the Sydney furore.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ponting has no faith in the guy, and never has. He needs a captain who can say to him "Here's the new ball, I don't care how many wides you bowl, just take me some wickets." but Ponting is too defensive a captain.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It took a thrashing in Melbourne and some poor umpiring decisions in Sydney to fire them up. They should have been better prepared for the Melbourne test which administrators have to take some responsibility for with programming but it is normal these days. They showed they can play well in Perth so they should have done better in Melbourne where they were expected to have a better chance. Overlooked a bit after the Sydney furore.
Agree but the rained out practice match did not help and then the stupid umpiring in sydney by bucknor the great and benson cost the series.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ponting has no faith in the guy, and never has. He needs a captain who can say to him "Here's the new ball, I don't care how many wides you bowl, just take me some wickets." but Ponting is too defensive a captain.
But I was saying earlier, I don't get that, because Ponting used him very well in the WC.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tait is bowling like lee bowled when we came to aus in 03/04 last time though lee took some wickets atleast.

Tony

Ponting sowed the seed in the first innings by bowling Tait as a genuine second change instead of following Lee with the breeze. After that when they got to building a lead in the second dig he didnt want to take the chance after all the wides and no balls last night. I dont know why they pciked him if they were going to use him like they did in the first dig.