• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Imran Khan vs Botham Debate Thread

Who was better?

• Imran Khan

Votes: 40 75.5%
  • Ian Botham

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Engle

State Vice-Captain
In the 8 Tests they played against each other, all of which were in England :

Imran 403 runs @ 50.37 and 42 wkts @ 20.11
Botham 395 runs @ 30.38 and 25 wtks @ 36.44

Imran scored a century and got a 10-fer (2 50's and 4 5-fers)
Not so Botham ( 3 50's and 1 5-fer)

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Imran Khan was 1.5 times the allrounder Ian Botham Botham was :) & trust me I'm a huge Botham fan(and rate him is the 2nd best allrounder ever).
No he wasn't. Can you suggest some of the series where Imran excelled as allrounder and compare it to Botham's.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well,all these people criticizing Imran Khan know that he was the superior allrounder but they are not accepting it openly because Imran Khan was a ********* .
Nobody is criticizing Imran, we are just stating that we believe he was not better than Botham as an allrounder.

Also please try to argue properly and without accusing people of anything. If I believed that Imran was a better allrounder, I would have said so regardless of who he was, where he was from and what he was.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
No he wasn't. Can you suggest some of the series where Imran excelled as allrounder and compare it to Botham's.
Huh ? I just did that. In the 8 matches(82, 87) they played together (on Bothams territory), Imran excelled as all-rounder over Botham.

8 matches is a sufficient sampling IMO for an All-rounder as it gives them 2 cracks at proving themselves with either bat or ball.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Top 3 reasons why Imran is greater than Botham as an All-rounder

1. Imran performed better against the toughest top-notch opposition, the marauding WIndies. And he was right at home against star-studded players of the WSC

2. Imran had a tougher hill to climb to prove himself.
Flat wkts of Pak.
Injury.
Sparse amount of Tests (IK 20 yrs 88 Tests, ITB 15 yrs 102 Tests).
Lack of support systems, politicking

3. Stepped in when needed most.
When Pak were loaded with batsmen (Majid, Sadiq, Mushtaq, Zaheer, Asif Iqbal),but lacked decent pacers, he successfully assumed that burden.
When Pak needed a captain, he successfully assumed that as well.
When Pak had the pacers (Wasim, Waqar), but needed batting support, he did that too.

In other words, he never failed them when they kept calling.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

1. Imran performed better against the toughest top-notch opposition, the marauding WIndies. And he was right at home against star-studded players of the WSC

Flat wkts of Pak.
Injury.

When Pak were loaded with batsmen (Majid, Sadiq, Mushtaq, Zaheer, Asif Iqbal),but lacked decent pacers, he successfully assumed that burden.
When Pak had the pacers (Wasim, Waqar), but needed batting support, he did that too.

Why should one consider the support system when we discuss his skills as a cricketer and on that logic Kapil should be the greatest allrounder to have ever walked on the earth. Flat wickets of Pakistan shouldn't be a question here because Imran grew as a bowler on those pitches and was much more accustomed to bowling on them than other bowlers from world.

Also you make it sound as If Imran chose to not bowl when Pak had Wasim/Waqar when the facts are that in last 4 years of his career he wasn't half the bowler he used to be. It is much harder to perform as a batsmanand bowler at same point in your career than being a bowler in one half and a batsman in the later half of his career. 88 tests in 20 years also worked out to Imran's advantage because he didn't burn out as opposed to Botham.

Lastly a team needs all its batsmen to perform, May be Pakistan were loaded with batsmen in late 70s and early 80s but that doesn't mean Pakistan didn't lose tests then and Imran certainly could have contributed more with bat. Also in the WSC Imran didn't excel as an allrounder but only as a bowler.

Last edited:
Why should one consider the support system when we discuss his skills as a cricketer and on that logic Kapil should be the greatest allrounder to have ever walked on the earth. Flat wickets of Pakistan shouldn't be a question here because Imran grew as a bowler on those pitches and was much more accustomed to bowling on them than other bowlers from world.
Its true in the case of Wasim,Waqar,Shoaib,Asif,Fazal etc but not in this case as Imran Khan hardly played any domestic cricket in Pakistan.Imran Khan's ability to consistenty succeed on flat Pakistani wickets was a god gifted thing.
Also you make it sound as If Imran chose to not bowl when Pak had Wasim/Waqar when the facts are that in last 4 years of his career he wasn't half the bowler he used to be. It is much harder to perform as a batsmanand bowler at same point in your career than being a bowler in one half and a batsman in the later half of his career. 88 tests in 20 years also worked out to Imran's advantage because he didn't burn out as opposed to Botham.
Yes Imran Khan was averaging 26 in last 4 or 5 years but u must consider he was still way better than Ian Botham.Imran retired at the age of 40 whereas Botham retired at 36.If u expect genuine fast bowlers of over 35 to perform like what they used to do in 20s/esrly 30s,then what can one say?.............redefine bias please!
Name some genuine fast bowlers who were as good in late thirties as they were at the peak of their career.From what I've seen even the best medium pacers retire at 35 or 36.In the last 5 years,Imran was still a good bowler & was averaging 26 as a bowler & above 60 as a batsman & thats an excellent record for someone who was basically playing as a batsman &/or captain.

I find it a complete joke comparing someone who averaged 33 with the bat & 28 with the ball to someone averaging 37 as a batsman & 22 as a bowler.

Lastly a team needs all its batsmen to perform, May be Pakistan were loaded with batsmen in late 70s and early 80s but that doesn't mean Pakistan didn't lose tests then and Imran certainly could have contributed more with bat. Also in the WSC Imran didn't excel as an allrounder but only as a bowler.
From what I know of both,Imran was 31,26,58,117*3,42,,23,41,0,54,83,46,12,131 type of batsman where as Botham was 23,3,5,21,7,0,12,143,58,102,56,61,11,7, type of batsman.At anyday of the week,I'll pick Imran:)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Its true in the case of Wasim,Waqar,Shoaib,Asif,Fazal etc but not in this case as Imran Khan hardly played any domestic cricket in Pakistan.Imran Khan's ability to consistenty succeed on flat Pakistani wickets was a god gifted thing.
If it were a god gift, Imran wouldn't have sat out of the national team for 5-6 years. Imran was an average bowler at the time of his debut, even in 1976 he was a decent bowler and not a great one, as he became regular he learnt to ball on those pitches he started to shine on those pitches and some of his best performances came in the subcontinent. Not to forget that Imran also played lot of cricket in England too where he had the opportunity to hone his skills too.

Yes Imran Khan was averaging 26 in last 4 or 5 years but u must consider he was still way better than Ian Botham.Imran retired at the age of 40 whereas Botham retired at 36.If u expect genuine fast bowlers of over 35 to perform like what they used to do in 20s/esrly 30s,then what can one say?.............redefine bias please!
If there is a biased individual on this forum, it is you who shows his blatant bias in pretty much every post he makes.

Imran Played 88 tests in 20 years, Botham played 88 tests in 10 years. Botham bowled more overs in 10 years than Imran did in 20 years and add to that his massive batting responsibility for his team. So between 1977 and 1986, Botham played in 88 tests took 366 wickets(with a strike rate very close to Imran's career strike rate and more 5ers than Imran) , scored 4800 runs with 14 100s and 21 50s. He clearly was over-used by his country and hence burnt out. People say that Botham's decline was fast, Actually it wasn't, he played a lot more cricket than normally players do in 10 years.

Name some genuine fast bowlers who were as good in late thirties as they were at the peak of their career.From what I've seen even the best medium pacers retire at 35 or 36.In the last 5 years,Imran was still a good bowler & was averaging 26 as a bowler & above 60 as a batsman & thats an excellent record for someone who was basically playing as a batsman &/or captain.
Courtney Walsh, Ambrose, Mcgrath to name a few. Imran was a poor bowler in 1986-87 itself when I watched him in India. And I watched him again in 1989-90 series against India, needless to say he was pedestrian.

I find it a complete joke comparing someone who averaged 33 with the bat & 28 with the ball to someone averaging 37 as a batsman & 22 as a bowler.
If Statsguru is your only basis to make any kind of aargument as it is fairly obvious then I dont blame you, because Statsguru doesn't tell anything more than that.

From what I know of both,Imran was 31,26,58,117*3,42,,23,41,0,54,83,46,12,131 type of batsman where as Botham was 23,3,5,21,7,0,12,143,58,102,56,61,11,7, type of batsman.At anyday of the week,I'll pick Imran:)
Then I must say you dont know well enough and it is apparent in your posts.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Next 2 reasons why Imran was superior to Botham ( making it Top 5)

4. In the matches they played together, he outperformed ITB as mentioned prev.

5. He instilled a positive winning effect on his teammates by sheer dint of perserverance and determination (rather than God-given talent)

neville cardus

International Debutant

Flat wkts of Pak.
Injury.

Pah! That's nothing! Beefy might've played stoned once or twice (although, that said, I once put together one of my most destructive-ever innings, a ten-ball 26, in a real Gibbs-in-the-Caribbean disposition, so it's possible that the effects aren't actually all that injurious.)

If it were a god gift, Imran wouldn't have sat out of the national team for 5-6 years. Imran was an average bowler at the time of his debut, even in 1976 he was a decent bowler and not a great one, as he became regular he learnt to ball on those pitches he started to shine on those pitches and some of his best performances came in the subcontinent. Not to forget that Imran also played lot of cricket in England too where he had the opportunity to hone his skills too
Imran played only 4 tests in first 5 years(1971-1975) of international & was just a teenager when he made his debut.And improving skills in bowling friendly conditions of England helps you to take wickets on dead wickets of Pakistan?8-) If that was the case then people like Azhar Mahmood,Yasir Arafat & some others would've been world beating bowlers.

Imran Played 88 tests in 20 years, Botham played 88 tests in 10 years. Botham bowled more overs in 10 years than Imran did in 20 years and add to that his massive batting responsibility for his team. So between 1977 and 1986, Botham played in 88 tests took 366 wickets(with a strike rate very close to Imran's career strike rate and more 5ers than Imran) , scored 4800 runs with 14 100s and 21 50s. He clearly was over-used by his country and hence burnt out. People say that Botham's decline was fast, Actually it wasn't, he played a lot more cricket than normally players do in 10 years.
Its not Imran's fault that England played a lot more test cricket than Pakistan in those years.Also,playing less games makes it much more difficult for genuine fast bowlers as they need time to get into rhythm as compared to medium pacers/spinners.

Courtney Walsh, Ambrose, Mcgrath to name a few. Imran was a poor bowler in 1986-87 itself when I watched him in India. And I watched him again in 1989-90 series against India, needless to say he was pedestrian.
Imran was 38 years old then & the pitches in the series were such that Waqar Younis said "I was very lucky to have been dropped in one of the tests to be replaced by Shahid Mehboob otherwise my international career woul've been over",as it happened to Mehboob.I remember the wickets were so flat that there was no third innings played in one or 2 maches.Walsh,Ambrose & McGrath akk retired at 37 whereas Imran played till he was 40.

If Statsguru is your only basis to make any kind of aargument as it is fairly obvious then I dont blame you, because Statsguru doesn't tell anything more than that.
Then what tells you more.What makes you rank Bradman & W.G.Grace as the greatest batsmen of alltime?I agree that stats are not ideal but when analyzed properly they are the best possible way of judging a player.

Then I must say you dont know well enough and it is apparent in your posts.
Yes,you are the greatest source of cricket knowledge in the world & all others are not even as good to tie your shoe laces.

75% people who've voted for Imran(are they all idiots?) & points made by several others ,in addition to Imran Khan's much better stats are enough to prove that Imran was a much better allrounder than Botham(twice as good as Botham I would say).And Imran is so much ahead of Botham that I find these "Imran vs Botham" threads a joke.You might compare Imran to Miller(even though believe Imran was better than him) but Botham's battles with Kapil Dev & Chris Cairns would look more sensible.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
75% people who've voted for Imran(are they all idiots?) & points made by several others ,in addition to Imran Khan's much better stats are enough to prove that Imran was a much better allrounder than Botham(twice as good as Botham I would say).And Imran is so much ahead of Botham that I find these "Imran vs Botham" threads a joke.You might compare Imran to Miller(even though believe Imran was better than him) but Botham's battles with Kapil Dev & Chris Cairns would look more sensible.
Aww, This is the worst argument you have put up here. There is another thread about Dennis Lillee and you should see what people think about Lillee and what you think about him. Are they all idiots ? Then there is a thread on Sobers and we all know your view on his all rounder skills as opposed to forum members. So please next time dont make those arguments because you dont have a feet to stand on that basis/

This thread is not a joke, it is a very valid thread and a valid discussion. Those who have picked Imran above Botham have their reason at the same time time those who have picked Botham have their reason too and quite a valid one.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Imran played only 4 tests in first 5 years(1971-1975) of international & was just a teenager when he made his debut.And improving skills in bowling friendly conditions of England helps you to take wickets on dead wickets of Pakistan?8-) If that was the case then people like Azhar Mahmood,Yasir Arafat & some others would've been world beating bowlers.
Yes, Imran was a teenager when he first made his debut, but he also was an ordinary cricketer, between 1971 and 78. He certainly was not a teen in 1978-79. In 1978-79 Botham who was 4 years younger to Imran was smoking the hell out of cricketers all over the world.

It is a fact that Once Imran became a regular in Pakistan team in 75-76 he got to bowl a lot more on Pakistani pitches and he learnt to bowl on them like most subcontinent bowlers. Imran's county stint also helped him become a better bowler. That Azhar Mahmood etc's county stint didn't help them is irrelevant to this discussion.

Its not Imran's fault that England played a lot more test cricket than Pakistan in those years.Also,playing less games makes it much more difficult for genuine fast bowlers as they need time to get into rhythm as compared to medium pacers/spinners.
:laugh: :laugh: Botham, IMO, was the first international cricketer who became a victim of too much cricket.

Imran was 38 years old then & the pitches in the series were such that Waqar Younis said "I was very lucky to have been dropped in one of the tests to be replaced by Shahid Mehboob otherwise my international career woul've been over",as it happened to Mehboob.I remember the wickets were so flat that there was no third innings played in one or 2 maches.Walsh,Ambrose & McGrath akk retired at 37 whereas Imran played till he was 40.
So Shahid Mehboob's career was over because he played on those flat pitches and not because he was a very ordinary cricketer, What Nonsense ? Wickets were always flat in Pakistan during the 80s and Imran used very successful there on early tours.

Then what tells you more.What makes you rank Bradman & W.G.Grace as the greatest batsmen of alltime?I agree that stats are not ideal but when analyzed properly they are the best possible way of judging a player.
So Stats tell you that WG Grace was the greatest batsman of all time ? 8-) 8-)

neville cardus

International Debutant
You're not asserting, surely, that the stats don't make The Don and W.G. the greatest-ever?

JBH001

International Regular
Stop it, Neville! You know thats me!

Not the Champion, or that whippesnapper, the Don.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Stop it, Neville! You know thats me!

Not the Champion, or that whippesnapper, the Don.
Bless you, Jack. You know full well that I was referring only to what the statistics, those utterly redundant and contrived mechanisms for retrospective judgement, try to inform me. Statistics mean about as little to yours truly as they once did to George Gunn; indeed, they are as female fans to Will Young, fidelity to whores and democracy to any world leader of the present epoch. They mean nowt, Jack, nowt whatsoever.

In my eyes, you will remain forever the greatest thing ever to have laid hands on willow and willow on leather. In all your imitable genius did you transmute the chic art of batsmanship from the imprecise practice that it once was into the exact (yet no less artful) science that we know today; you came to be (at least for this mere mortal) the quintessential incarnate of that science. I shall never begrudge you your rightful place beneath the cricketing crown, nor your seat upon the corresponding throne. 'Tis not without reason that you were known as The Master.

Last edited: