• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****OFFICIAL**** Imran Khan vs Botham Debate Thread

Who was better?

• Imran Khan

Votes: 40 75.5%
  • Ian Botham

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're not asserting, surely, that the stats don't make The Don and W.G. the greatest-ever?
No,I believe stats do make them greatest ever batsmen.All I meant is that I hate this hypocrisy when people rank certain players(who are their favourite ) very highly because of their stats but when it comes to other players,same people come up with arguments like "stats don't really matter".

Last edited:
Yes, Imran was a teenager when he first made his debut, but he also was an ordinary cricketer, between 1971 and 78. He certainly was not a teen in 1978-79. In 1978-79 Botham who was 4 years younger to Imran was smoking the hell out of cricketers all over the world.
Even that doesn't add anything to Botham's favour as Imran was ordinaary in early years of his career but then just got better & better but Botham was also very ordinary for more number of years at the end of his career .

:laugh: :laugh: Botham, IMO, was the first international cricketer who became a victim of too much cricket.
Yes,6.8 tests per year is too much of a burden for someone who didn't even play much ODI cricket.8-) 8-)

So Shahid Mehboob's career was over because he played on those flat pitches and not because he was a very ordinary cricketer, What Nonsense ? Wickets were always flat in Pakistan during the 80s and Imran used very successful there on early tours
.But if he had ever got a chance to play on a bowling friendly wicket,who knows he might've done better.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
YET another reason why Imran is better than Botham - because more people say so.

Kidding.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
.But if he had ever got a chance to play on a bowling friendly wicket,who knows he might've done better.
No he would not have. He was a very ordinary cricketer and very lucky to play for Pakistan especially in the era of Wasim/Waqar/Imran.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes,6.8 tests per year is too much of a burden for someone who didn't even play much ODI cricket.8-) 8-)
In his first 10 years Botham played about 91 tests, which makes 9 tests in a year both as a bowler and as a batsman, Add to it the games he played for Somerset and the ODIs, I would say no player has played so much cricket in 10 years. Someone like Tendulkar who has supposedly played more cricket than anyone else in last 20 yeas played only 71 tests in hist 1st 10 years and that is only as a batsman. Agreed SRT played a lot more ODIs but he hardly played any domestic cricket and hardly had to share the major bowling role.

Aww, This is the worst argument you have put up here. There is another thread about Dennis Lillee and you should see what people think about Lillee and what you think about him. Are they all idiots ? Then there is a thread on Sobers and we all know your view on his all rounder skills as opposed to forum members. So please next time dont make those arguments because you dont have a feet to stand on that basis.
My friend whatever I say about Lillee,Sobers or any other players is based on their stats in a particular discipline.And whatever I've said about "Imran vs Botham" is also based on stats mostly.Imran was statistically a much better allrounder than Botham.And everything else I say like "Sobers was not a better allrounder than Imran & Miller etc" & "Lillee was not a better bowler tham Imran,Marshall,Hadlee,Wasim,McGrath,Ambrose etc" is also based on stats.And I've admitted before that carefully analyzed stats are not ideal but best possible way of judging players.

In his first 10 years Botham played about 91 tests, which makes 9 tests in a year both as a bowler and as a batsman, Add to it the games he played for Somerset and the ODIs, I would say no player has played so much cricket in 10 years. Someone like Tendulkar who has supposedly played more cricket than anyone else in last 20 yeas played only 71 tests in hist 1st 10 years and that is only as a batsman. Agreed SRT played a lot more ODIs but he hardly played any domestic cricket and hardly had to share the major bowling role.
Imran not only played tests & ODIs but also regularly played county cricket for 14 years,Australian state cricket for 6 years & very little domestic cricket in Pakistan too.So,I don't think Imran played any less cricket than Botham in all those years.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Imran > Botham

If we're delibrately going to ignore the latter part of Botham's career, we might as well do the same for Waqar and hail him as the greatest fast bowler ever.

neville cardus

International Debutant
No,I believe stats do make the greatest ever batsmen.All I meant is that I hate this hypocrisy when people rank certain players(who are their favourite ) very highly because of their but when it comes to other players,same people come up with arguments like "stats don't really matter".
'Tis a bugbear of mine, too, Bhupinder.

neville cardus

International Debutant
So in which season WG averaged 60+ and everyone else averaged in 20s/30s ?
You are merely making clear your supreme dearth of cricketing knowledge. Anyone who knows anything about the history of the game could tell you, off hand, that, in 1871, W.G. scored in excess of 2,700 runs at an average of nearly eighty. Of those who trailed in his glorious wake, Richard Daft, with an average well below forty, comes closest. Not even Bradman outdid his peers to that extent.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
You are merely making clear your supreme dearth of cricketing knowledge. Anyone who knows anything about the history of the game could tell you, off hand, that, in 1871, W.G. scored in excess of 2,700 runs at an average of nearly eighty. Of those who trailed in his glorious wake, Richard Daft, with an average well below forty, comes closest. Not even Bradman outdid his peers to that extent.
The Don certainly had a few series or seasons where he approached that level of dominance over his peers. You're right though - Grace's performances on pitches that would today be written off as cow paddocks utterly unfit for any level of serious cricket were nothing short of phenomenal.

And by all accounts, Richard Daft was quite some batsman in his time.

Thats enough for Sanz to know how much cricketing knowledge he possess about one of the greatest cricketers of alltime.