• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Hayden- I mean come on, seriously

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In fact, myself and a few others have been calling on him to retire or be dropped unless he does well in England. No one on the board is claiming he has been anything but pretty bad for the last two years, and pretty inconsistent for the last 3 or four years.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What the hell? Who exactly said he was batting well for the last four years?
Hmm.

1 - X says Ponting is batting well.

2 - Y replies and says that he isn't considered close to Tendulkar because of the 'era' thing.

3 - X then asks why Tendulkar isn't taking advantage of the 'era' and it's conditions - obviously implying form.

4 - Y mentions 'mileage', as if that's all there is to it.

5 - X mentions Lara.

6 - Y keeps talking about 'mileage'.

It may have not been said, but there seems to be a lot of excuses for Tendulkar doing poorly. Actually, it's one excuse, the same one over and over again.

In fact, myself and a few others have been calling on him to retire or be dropped unless he does well in England. No one on the board is claiming he has been anything but pretty bad for the last two years, and pretty inconsistent for the last 3 or four years.
Thank Christ. I was beginning to feel I was one of the few members who actually thought about it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm.

1 - X says Ponting is batting well.

2 - Y replies and says that he isn't considered close to Tendulkar because of the 'era' thing.

3 - X then asks why Tendulkar isn't taking advantage of the 'era' and it's conditions - obviously implying form.

4 - Y mentions 'mileage', as if that's all there is to it.

5 - X mentions Lara.

6 - Y keeps talking about 'mileage'.

It may have not been said, but there seems to be a lot of excuses for Tendulkar doing poorly. Actually, it's one excuse, the same one over and over again.

Thank Christ. I was beginning to feel I was one of the few members who actually thought about it.
But regardless of why someone is doing bad, it still has no effect on the bottom line: scoring runs. Miles or not, he obviously still has to score runs to be in the team. We may disagree on why he is out of form or is no longer good, but I don't think anyone disagrees on the fact that:
  • He is not playing well
  • He needs to play better to stay in the team

I don't see the two issues being related.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But regardless of why someone is doing bad, it still has no effect on the bottom line: scoring runs. Miles or not, he obviously still has to score runs to be in the team. We may disagree on why he is out of form or is no longer good, but I don't think anyone disagrees on the fact that:
  • He is not playing well
  • He needs to play better to stay in the team

I don't see the two issues being related.
I think the only reason they are related in this debate is that people take scoring runs in this era as a given. Tendulkar, being the classy batsman he is, is a prime example to refute such a generalisation. Yet, when people use this example, the opposing side quickly talk of mileage. The original point was that if Ponting's 'greatness' can be demeaned because of the current conditions, then Tendulkar's poor form currently exacerbates it because of the same conditions.

To be frank, I don't really hold either conclusion with too much weight. But if one can be said, so can the other.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Lara started 1 year after Sachin and has 4 tests less overall.
Debut dates tell you only so much. But don't let that retardedness stand in your way.
Lara debuted, played one test and didnt play another for nearly two years.
He became a regular in both forms of cricket 4-5 years AFTER tendulkar

The mileage is more than similar.
Err no. Tendulkar has over 100+ ODIs than Lara and more tests than Lara too.

To argue that someone, even debuting at age 16, burns out at age 28 is the most ridiculous argument you can bring to insult any sportsmen
No, the argument makes perfect sense and i'd ask you to talk this over with a doctor if you know any to drill some sense into your head.
Almost every doctor will tell you - putting up/coping with the physical and mental strain of international/top level sport as a teenager is extremely draining and taxing- leading to early burnouts.

The age of 28 is the peak of almost all sportsmen in their physical and mental capacity.
Yes. And almost all sportsmen start doing international duty regularly around the age of 21-22. Not 16.

It seems no one wants to accept that Sachin is not batting well.
Ofcourse he isn't batting well !
But its due to injuries and mileage on his body.
Its just that simple!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Debut dates tell you only so much. But don't let that retardedness stand in your way.
Lara debuted, played one test and didnt play another for nearly two years.
He became a regular in both forms of cricket 4-5 years AFTER tendulkar
No, he didn't become a regular only 4-5 years after. That would be like him starting when Ponting debuted. When Lara actually played about 31 tests (only 7 less than Sachin) before Ponting arrived. Let us say he became a regular 2 years after Sachin. It still doesn't matter, they played pretty much the same amount of tests overall.

Err no. Tendulkar has over 100+ ODIs than Lara and more tests than Lara too.
Yes, but it doesn't really effect a 28 year old, let alone a 25 year old.

No, the argument makes perfect sense and i'd ask you to talk this over with a doctor if you know any to drill some sense into your head.
Almost every doctor will tell you - putting up/coping with the physical and mental strain of international/top level sport as a teenager is extremely draining and taxing- leading to early burnouts.
No, it makes 0 sense. I already gave you an example of someone who debuted at age 16 who was still in his prime at age 30 (2 years after Sachin started dipping). Which was Pele, and that's football, which is far more taxing on the body than Cricket. We're also talking about a career in which Pele played 1000+ matches.

Yes. And almost all sportsmen start doing international duty regularly around the age of 21-22. Not 16.
Er, no they don't. A lot of footballers actually debut at 18, if not younger in few cases, and none of them are done by age 28. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find sportsmen who have run out of steam at age 28. It's simply not the case, that's the age of your peak.

Ofcourse he isn't batting well !
But its due to injuries and mileage on his body.
Its just that simple!
Yeh, mileage plays a part. But he is playing crappy - imagine if the bowling and pitch conditions didn't help him out. Whew, would have been even worse eh?

C_C

International Captain
No, he didn't become a regular only 4-5 years after. That would be like him starting when Ponting debuted.
Math skills getting a bit wonky ? Tendulkar debuted in 1989. Ponting in 1996.
4-5 years after Tendulkar doesnt make it 1996.

Let us say he became a regular 2 years after Sachin.
Let us not. Because it is falsehood. He debuted two years after Tendulkar. Didnt become a regular a couple of years after THAT.

No, it makes 0 sense.
How predictable. You know more than Gretsky about how to judge a sportsman, you obviously know more than doctors on such issues.

Which was Pele, and that's football, which is far more taxing on the body than Cricket.
You = total ****** if you think running around a field for 90 minutes is more taxing mentally and physically than playing cricket for the whole freaking day.
Not to mention, back in Pele's days, matches at international or club level were far less than the amount of cricket played by Tendulkar. Oh and Pele's prime came between the age of 21 and 26.

A lot of footballers actually debut at 18, if not younger in few cases, and none of them are done by age 28.
You obviously know squat about soccer if you think a lot of footballers make their international debut at 18.
And yes, when they do (like Pele, Ronaldo, etc), they are mostly 'done' their peak by the time they are 24-25.

It still doesn't matter, they played pretty much the same amount of tests overall.
Yeah, 100+ more ODIs matter diddly squat to you obviously. 8-)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lara started 1 year after Sachin and has 4 tests less overall. The mileage is more than similar. What is not similar is that 28+ Sachin has been pretty crappy, yet Lara has steadied and remained a class batsmen.
But Lara started at a much more mature physical stage, and hasn't the expections of a billion people on him.

C_C

International Captain
Lara became a regular in both forms of the game in 1993.
Tendulkar right after his debut (ie, 1989).

If my math skills arn't as wonky as Kazo's , then thats four years.

So not only does Lara become a regular 4 years after Tendulkar, he is also 4 years older.
Effectively meaning a lot less mileage on his body.

Besides, if you wanna compare Pele to someone, compare him to Bradman. Not Tendulkar- that is diego/johann cruyff league.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Math skills getting a bit wonky ? Tendulkar debuted in 1989. Ponting in 1996.
4-5 years after Tendulkar doesnt make it 1996.
I don't know if you're just not that bright or you're purposely misleading people.

Tendulkar debuted at the end of 89, Ponting at the end of 95.

Let us not. Because it is falsehood. He debuted two years after Tendulkar. Didnt become a regular a couple of years after THAT.
Again, you're either running out of IQ or you're purposely misleading.

Tendulkar debuted at the end of 89, Lara at the end of 90. That's 1 year.

How predictable. You know more than Gretsky about how to judge a sportsman, you obviously know more than doctors on such issues.
What does Gretsky say about it? So far, what he's said has actually gone against the very points you've been arguing. But you're that bright you keep sourcing someone like that.

Sportsmen are inadequate mentally at an early age, but not physically. Conversely, at an older age, sportsmen are mentally fit, yet, usually unable.

You = total ****** if you think running around a field for 90 minutes is more taxing mentally and physically than playing cricket for the whole freaking day.
Not to mention, back in Pele's days, matches at international or club level were far less than the amount of cricket played. Oh and Pele's prime came between the age of 21 and 26.
You = a total ****** because you keep spouting non-sense as fact. It is physically more taxing playing a game of constant running. You don't see Boons, Hughes, or Ranatunga's in football. Especially in Pele's time where there were no yellow/red cards - or used hardly ever - you usually dealt with injury more often. Which is actually the reason why he couldnt continue at the 62 world cup.

And Pele's prime was from 16- at least 30. Actually, in 66 Brazil lost the WC and he was 26. They won it again when he was 30 in 70 and Pele was their best player. So, stop talking rubbish - like the time you were trying to say players are more courteous in football matches than in Cricket. Your knowledge - or lack of it - is transparent here.

You obviously know squat about soccer if you think a lot of footballers make their international debut at 18.
And yes, when they do (like Pele, Ronaldo, etc), they are mostly 'done' their peak by the time they are 24-25.
Ok, let me make a list:

Ronaldo, C.Ronaldo, Rooney, Pele, Maradona, Kewell, Gerrard, Giggs, Ronaldinho, ....almost every great footballer around? (that's just at the top of my head).

You are stupid mate. Ronaldo has been scoring 20 goals a season and he's 31. Zidane was top of his game at 30, was still handy at 34 (last year). Mattheus, Garrincha. There are so many it's absolutely damaging to anyone to go against this. Footballers are at their prime at age 28, they don't start dipping till about 32. Even at 30 most are still class. Why do you talk about things you have absolutely no clue about?

Yeah, 100+ more ODIs matter diddly squat to you obviously. 8-)
No, they mean something, but to say at age 28 that he's done? That's beyond stupid. He's been crap, you have to hack it and let it go.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But Lara started at a much more mature physical stage, and hasn't the expections of a billion people on him.
Yes, and Lara has no pressure on him at all. 8-)

I accept your first part, now you have to accept that Lara is also doing very well despite being 4 years Sachin's senior. If a 21 year old Lara is physically more mature than Tendulkar at age 16, then a Tendulkar at age 28 should be in better shape than a Lara at 32 - let alone now, where Lara is 37-38.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Lara became a regular in both forms of the game in 1993.
Tendulkar right after his debut (ie, 1989).

If my math skills arn't as wonky as Kazo's , then thats four years.

So not only does Lara become a regular 4 years after Tendulkar, he is also 4 years older.
Effectively meaning a lot less mileage on his body.
No, you're math skills are a disgrace to your profession.

Besides, if you wanna compare Pele to someone, compare him to Bradman. Not Tendulkar- that is diego/johann cruyff league.
Yeah, if we're talking about greatness, sure. If we're talking about debuting early, then it's more than apt.

C_C

International Captain
Tendulkar debuted at the end of 89, Ponting at the end of 95.
And that makes it SIX years if you can count. So 4 years after Tendulkar != the same time as Ponting debuted. Need an abacus or a calculator to check that out ??

Tendulkar debuted at the end of 89, Lara at the end of 90. That's 1 year.
Lara didnt become a regular in Tests till 1993. That is four years from 1989.

So far, what he's said has actually gone against the very points you've been arguing.
Err...no. Gretsky says exactly the same thing i said - how good you are is judged based on how well you do against the best of the best, not simply by bashing substandard opposition.

Sportsmen are inadequate mentally at an early age, but not physically.
False. a sixteen year old is inadequate physically compared to a 21 year old and that is a basic fact of life.

It is physically more taxing playing a game of constant running.
Except it is not constant running. Nobody ever runs continously for 90 minutes on a soccer pitch- try half that number. A cricket fielder runs on average far more than a footy player given that he is on the field for 5-6 HOURS and not 90 minutes.

And Pele's prime was from 16- at least 30.
Pele HIMSELF said his best football came before the age of 27. You obviously know more about Pele's prime than Pele himself i guess.

Ronaldo, C.Ronaldo, Rooney, Pele, Maradona, Kewell, Gerrard, Giggs, Ronaldinho, ....almost every great footballer around?
And of all those who have hit 30 ( Ronaldinho hasn't), they were clearly jaded compared to their past standards. And lets not bring up no-namers like Kewell or Gerrard, who arnt even regular for almost two decades.

Ronaldo has been scoring 20 goals a season and he's 31.
And he is still far past his PEAK, when he was scoring nearly 40 goals in less than 40 games.

That's beyond stupid.
So doctors who say it is perfectly expected of Tendulkar to be burnt out by 28 are wrong.
Like i said, you know more than Gretsky about how to judge greatness, more than Pele about when Pele's peak was and obviously, more than doctors about the effects of exposing a still developing kid to the rigours of international sport while being the mainstay of the team.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
No, you're math skills are a disgrace to your profession.
I am willing to match my math skills with your's any day of the week even when half-sober. So bring it, chump!

C_C

International Captain
I accept your first part, now you have to accept that Lara is also doing very well despite being 4 years Sachin's senior. If a 21 year old Lara is physically more mature than Tendulkar at age 16, then a Tendulkar at age 28 should be in better shape than a Lara at 32 - let alone now, where Lara is 37-38.
when it comes to you, stupidity seems to have no bounds.

Tendulkar started playing when he was 16. Lara not till he was 24 as a regular.
when you start playing as a 16 year old, its FAR more demanding on your body because your body is NOT READY yet.
Not only has Lara played less than Tendulkar ( over 100 less ODIs and 5-6 less tests), he wasn't exposed to the harshness of international cricket (and the training that goes along with it) till he was fully developed AND THEN SOME. Plus Lara spends 90% of his time in the field sitting at slips. Not chasing leather at mid on or mid off like Tendulkar. Not to mention, Tendulkar has bowled nearly 2000 overs in cricket- which is nearly 2000 more than Lara. Hence your stupid idea that Tendulkar at 28 should be in better shape than Lara at 32 crashes before take-off. Such simpleton thinking i guess suits you.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And that makes it SIX years if you can count. So 4 years after Tendulkar != the same time as Ponting debuted. Need an abacus or a calculator to check that out ??
You said that Lara debuted later than he did and mentioned he wasn't a regular till after 3-4 years. That's hitting on Ponting range mate.

In some years Tendulkar played only 2-3 test matches. How in the bloody hell are you going to say that was taxing.

Lara didnt become a regular in Tests till 1993. That is four years from 1989.
The end of 89. And Lara was playing one day internationals before and tests before 93 - in 92.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1991-92/WI_IN_PAK/WI_PAK_ODI1_20NOV1991.html

Clearly a regular in 92.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1991-92/WI_IN_AUS/WI_AUS-XI_20-23DEC1991.html
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1992-93/WI_IN_AUS/WI_IN_AUS_1992-93_TEST_AVS.html

However you try to spin it, it's minimal.

Err...no. Gretsky says exactly the same thing i said - how good you are is judged based on how well you do against the best of the best, not simply by bashing substandard opposition.
Yeah, Tendulkar has actually done as little or as much of that as Lara. And again, as this thread pertains to Hayden, he's already smashed the #1 ODI side for the fastest WC hundred.

False. a sixteen year old is inadequate physically compared to a 21 year old and that is a basic fact of life.
Actually, not false. You cut the posts to tidbits you can reply to and ignore the post as whole because you can't refute it. At maximum Sachin was pressured for 2 years. He wasn't 16 for 5 years then suddenly turned 21. It still doesn't add up to his form from 28+. You can cry as loud as you like.

Except it is not constant running. Nobody ever runs continously for 90 minutes on a soccer pitch- try half that number.
You obviously have not played football, and definitely not any level higher than playing in the park with your cousins.

Some premiership players have been measured to run between 10-15 kms on average a game. That's more than taxing. Especially as there is constant physical contact.

Pele HIMSELF said his best football came before the age of 27. You obviously know more about Pele's prime than Pele himself i guess.
Uh, you are exactly proving my point...:laugh: I said he was good between 16 - 30. He said he peaked 27, which is pretty much what I've been saying.

Maths you're not good at, not even reading now? I'd love to see that piece where Pele says that btw. I'm a fan and I usually follow stuff like that.

And of all those who have hit 30 ( Ronaldinho hasn't), they were clearly jaded compared to their past standards. And lets not bring up no-namers like Kewell or Gerrard, who arnt even regular for almost two decades.
Kewell and Gerrard are no namers? They got awards for the very thing we're discussing here (peaking early). Try the Premier league's young player of the year award :).

Henry is about 30 years old, you think he has dipped in form? You know squat about football.

And he is still far past his PEAK, when he was scoring nearly 40 goals in less than 40 games.
You just proved you no jack-all about football. Ronaldo scored only once 40 goals in a season. And guess what, no one has EVER done that in the primera division regardless of age. It's like averaging 150 runs for a year. But scoring 20 goals a season is like averaging 75 runs a year. So he is far from dipping or out of form :).

So doctors who say it is perfectly expected of Tendulkar to be burnt out by 28 are wrong.
Like i said, you know more than Gretsky about how to judge greatness, more than Pele about when Pele's peak was and obviously, more than doctors about the effects of exposing a still developing kid to the rigours of international sport while being the mainstay of the team.
Fact is, you don't know much, you keep rambling on, you keep making non-sense posts. Made up facts, shotty generalisations and you keep quoting Gretsky as if he is an authority or he backs up what you're saying (in which he actually doesn't).

I'd love to know all these sportsmen that burned out like Tendulkar, you say it as if it's a common thing.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I am willing to match my math skills with your's any day of the week even when half-sober. So bring it, chump!
Nah, it's cool. I think you were just lying to yourself. Remember, 1 year, not 2.