• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Hayden- I mean come on, seriously

C_C

International Captain
So unless a team has four all-time greats (which has happened, what once in 110 years of test cricket) at once, they're no good.
So when i say two Ws or Donald-Pollock or McGrath-Gillespie or Cuddy-Curtley, i am talking in doubles and talking about 4 great fast bowlers in one team eh ?

Look- i am not interested in rhetoric and obfuscation of the points i made directed back at me.

One newbie bowler with less than 20 tests under his belt does not equal to 'excellent' pace attacks like i listed. Neither does one decent fast bowler and one former-great twice as diminished as Pollock is today.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If you're going to start bringing actual information, rather than half-baked stats or crass generalisations, Mav, I'd suggest that you're in the wrong thread... :ph34r:
Yeah. Great post Mav. I'm limited to what I've seen so some things I can only generalise. I feel however, that I've broken down more generalisations than I've created. Mavs post was great and I really can't be bothered arguing with someone who cannot glimpse that their own view may be wrong or have some fallacies. But I am enjoying others on their take of why Hayden is a great batsman.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
To suggest that the Matt Hayden of 1994 or 1996 is the same player as the Hayden of 2001 onwards makes about as much sense as judging Steve Waugh based on his performances up until '93. He went away, he kept working at it, he developed a better understanding of his game, and he came back and found his feet. Other factors have played a part probably, but it is unfair to discount the fact that he has improved his game as he's gone on. That's what good sportspeople do - learn from their experience.
And that's a great point. Players DO get better. They learn more, get more experienced and score more runs. It doesn't just come down to pitch and bowling standard.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know who was saying about Ambrose and Tendulkar never playing each other, but here they are:

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1996-97/IND_IN_WI/IND_WI_T1_06-10MAR1997.html
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1996-97/IND_IN_WI/IND_WI_T2_14-18MAR1997.html
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1996-97/IND_IN_WI/IND_WI_T3_27-31MAR1997.html
http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1996-97/IND_IN_WI/IND_WI_T5_17-21APR1997.html

His scores in the four matches were: 7, 15*, 88, 92, 4, 83.

All four took place IN West Indies against both Walsh and Ambrose. That's an average of 57.
It was me, and you've got it completely wrong. We were talking about him playing pre-Ponting (as in, bowlers which Sachin faced before Ponting got a chance, or ever got a chance). That test match is in 97, I think that's more than a year since Ponting debuted.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gideon Haigh on Hayden:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ashes2005/story/0,,1555879,00.html

Interesting stuff. Admittedly written during Hayden's nadir of 2005, but Haigh does seem to agree with the consensus view that the big fella struggles against top-notch pace bowling.

The first ball Hayden received in Test cricket, from South Africa's Allan Donald, broke his knuckles. He was then humiliated by West Indies' Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh, though he managed to compile a maiden Test hundred at Adelaide in January 1997 without once finding the middle of the bat. After 13 Tests over nearly seven years, he averaged 24.

Queenslanders used to regard Hayden's omission from the Test side as a dark southern conspiracy. In fact, he simply wasn't good enough against top-class new-ball bowling, of which there was, in the mid-1990s, a bit around.

Hayden's rise coincided with the worldwide decline of quality pace bowling, worn out by the grind of the Test and one-day roundabout. In a few years, Hayden was transformed from fag to bully.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It was me, and you've got it completely wrong. We were talking about him playing pre-Ponting (as in, bowlers which Sachin faced before Ponting got a chance, or ever got a chance). That test match is in 97, I think that's more than a year since Ponting debuted.
Ah, fair enough. Did not realize that.

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
he also struggles when the ball is moving around early on, matthew hoggard for instance swinging it into Haydos has removed him on many occasions, or just simple field placing's ie short mid off in '05 ashes series!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, fair enough. Did not realize that.
That's ok.

In those tests Ambrose was 34 years old and Walsh was 35 years old - I say that in response to Ponting having faced good bowlers at their end.

Against India there, Ambrose averaged 30 at a strike rate of 92 and Walsh, even worse, averaged 62.5 at with a strike rate of 179. At their best, they certainly were not.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's ok.

In those tests Ambrose was 34 years old and Walsh was 35 years old - I say that in response to Ponting having faced good bowlers at their end.

Against India there, Ambrose averaged 30 at a strike rate of 92 and Walsh, even worse, averaged 62.5 at with a strike rate of 179. At their best, they certainly were not.
Walsh in his last five seasons averaged: 24.16, 19.97, 25.07, 12.82, 27.02.
Ambrose averaged 25.68, 14.81, 18.29, 22.87, 16.78, 18.64 in his last five seasons.

So based on that, how can you say they weren't at their best?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That's like taking Hayden's average over the past few years to try and say he wasn't crap in the Ashes 05, or a bit prior.

BTW, I can't say that. But for those quality bowlers to be averaging that high and strike rates that are that poor, especially Walsh, it's gotta be more than just getting hammered around. No?

And couldn't your same argument be used for Ponting, when he is said to have taken advantage of these great bowlers at their end.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BTW, I can't say that. But for those quality bowlers to be averaging that high and strike rates that are that poor, especially Walsh, it's gotta be more than just getting hammered around. No?
But they weren't that poor over the year. They were poor for the series, but why couldn't that be because of the batting?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
But they weren't that poor over the year. They were poor for the series, but why couldn't that be because of the batting?
It would be improbable, that's all. It's not like Tendulkar and Dravid were the only ones bowled to. If it were Tendulkar just outclassing them there were 9 other wickets to take. Walsh took like 4 wickets for the series, I think. That's a far cry from being outclassed. He was bowling quite poorly by those stats.

Actually, Dravid was the superior batsman in that series. He averaged 72 to Tendulkar's 57.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It would be improbable, that's all. It's not like Tendulkar and Dravid were the only ones bowled to.

Actually, Dravid was the superior batsmen in that series. He averaged 72 to Tendulkar's 57.
I bet if you remove those two, and maybe one other batsman, the average would be much closer to their career average. So why would that be improbable? They did well against them. Thats what good players do. I'm sure there were other instances where Ambrose and Walsh got on top of Tendy and Dravid, and I wouldn't say: "Well, Tendulkar just had a bad series, it wasn't Ambrose doing well with the ball."

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I bet if you remove those two, and maybe one other batsman, the average would be much closer to their career average. So why would that be improbable? They did well against them. Thats what good players do. I'm sure there were other instances where Ambrose and Walsh got on top of Tendy and Dravid, and I wouldn't say: "Well, Tendulkar just had a bad series, it wasn't Ambrose doing well with the ball."
Ambrose maybe. Walsh I doubt. Those figures are absolutely terrible. They're more than 3x worse than his career figures.

BTW, I'm not saying they didn't do well. In my mind, it doesn't matter who/when/where. When you bat well, you bat well. But names are names, and performances may not always follow those trademarks. To me there is a difference between a Ntini bowling very well and a Walsh bowling poorly. For some, the names are useful for bragging rights.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Again, looking at this, there were at least 4 batsmen in that series that had the best of the Windies bowling.