• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

FRAZ

International Captain
So what r u disputing?

Pakistan, collectively, have the worst disciplinary record in international cricket whilst their captain holds the individual "honours."

For example "the putting the game into dis-repute issue" or raising a bat at a spectator who sweared a racial swear ? Right ?
For me retaliation is quite necessary in the above cases . Pakistani captain should have faced the umpire right in the ground rather than being extra polite . And the fan should have been dealt with properly by not just raising the bat at .Many teams have denied playing just because of political issues .So atleast Pakistani team continued playing and did not run like a fashionable mouse towards the air-port . So Pakistani team has always continued playing the game rather than running away with a superiority bug in the mud head ...

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
social said:
In response to someone's suggestion that Sreesanth is merely "in your face":

McGrath is in your face

Nel is OTT in your face

In SA, Sreesanth combined Nel's OTT with mocking of others when he had success, threatening behaviour when he was frustrated and time-wasting antics to rival an Argie soccer player. In short, he carried on like an absolute jackass.
Sreesanth apologized to every batsman he sledged. I also find it interesting (****ed up) how one Indian's behavior represents every Indian's behavior and yet Aussies are angels despite having several examples of idiots on the field. I really don't mind competitive players who take it a little too far on the field (ie Sreesanth, Nel, several Aussies, etc) but don't make such ludicrous statements.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sreesanth apologized to every batsman he sledged. I also find it interesting (****ed up) how one Indian's behavior represents every Indian's behavior and yet Aussies are angels despite having several examples of idiots on the field. I really don't mind competitive players who take it a little too far on the field (ie Sreesanth, Nel, several Aussies, etc) but don't make such ludicrous statements.
The fact is that a team's behaviour is only as good as the worst behaviour of the individual team members.

For example, Gavaskar would contend that Australia's behaviour is appalling despite the fact that any no. of players have never taken a step out of line, e.g. Michael Hussey

Sreesanth's behaviour reflected poorly on himself and those around him and in spite the fact that no-one could ever say that guys like Tendulkar, Dravid, Kumble etc arent thorough genltemen on the field

As for his apologies, dont make me laugh

pasag

RTDAS
I didn't think there was anything wrong with Sreesanth's behaviour personally. Thought it was gun, tbh.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't agree with any suggestion that the current Australian team is worse or less gentlemanly than the West Indies team of the 70s and 80s.

Colin Croft deliberately barged into an umpire during his run-up in that NZ tour, and no Australian player has done anything anywhere near that level.

Craig

World Traveller
I dont think they will be and I can say that because I have watched the WI and the Aussie both, I will never be able to respect and like a Ricky Ponting or a Steve Waugh as much as I do a Vivian Richards or Clive Lloyd. I will never be able to respect Mcgrath as much as a Holding/Marshall/Garner etc. Never, not in this life.

There is a different between chat and personl abuse/insults
So what do you define insults/abuse?

Unless they are saying something hurtful or sensitive (say a family member had just died or were terribly sick), somthing racist, or anything over the line, then it isn't and I doubt they would swoop that low. I don't suppose you wouldn't hold Darren Lehmann that high as well then?

Otherwise, if saying something sarcastic, like 'great shot' after a play-and-miss or 'your own form today' whilst he is stuggling for a run, then that is sledging and that happens in all forms of the game, and I would find it hard believe nothing got said when you these angels like Viv Richards were out there.

Oh yeah, FYI Malcolm Marshall said to David Boon on his Test debut that if he didn't do the right thing, he would be forced to come around the wicket and kill him.

So there you go.

archie mac

International Coach
I dont think they will be and I can say that because I have watched the WI and the Aussie both, I will never be able to respect and like a Ricky Ponting or a Steve Waugh as much as I do a Vivian Richards or Clive Lloyd. I will never be able to respect Mcgrath as much as a Holding/Marshall/Garner etc. Never, not in this life.
No I don't think you will, but gererally I feel they will be fondly remembered:)

There is a different between chat and personl abuse/insults
Well what they call McDermott sounds personal to me:-O

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What I meant was that - I didn't make up that 'Accusation'. this 'Accusation' has been there in the tour archives. And one doesn't much proof when that umpring is deliberately biased. There was a reason why Neutral umpires are being appointed, that is proof enough that umpires were heavily biased in favor of home teams.
No, independent Umpires (Umpires, by definition, are neutral) were introduced to stop these - mostly utterly ludicrous - accusations of bias. There can never, ever be any certainty that the Umpiring is biased. Sure, it probably was in New Zealand that series (and, who knows, many others maybe) just as it was in Pakistan in 1987\88 and so many other times, but that it was biased is not fact.
Doesn't matter.
Yes, it does. This whole think is about taking things beyond the barrier of decency. West Indies on those 2 occasions did such a thing.
Physical disintegration is part of the game..else they would be playing with rubber balls and bowling under-arm.
And so is mental, otherwise they'd be playing with robots...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you think some of the biased umpiring that was shown in ENg might have somthing to do with WI's behaviour and also i wouldn't say Eng was the firnedliest of places for black folks back than.
Eng generally was a pretty racist society.
That's complete crap and there's never even been any mention of poor decisions against West Indies in that 1976 series.

Why d'you think Greig's comments (which weren't even racist, just inflammatory) were so condemned the way they were?

To suggest touring teams as suffered regular racism as recently as 1976 is utterly ludicrous.

Swervy

International Captain
i am surprised no-one has mentioned the incident where Viv Richards made the appeal of all appeals (ie he would let it go) and basically intimidated the umpire into giving the decision he wanted.

The assertion that WI played the game how it was meant to be played whereas the Australians dont just ludicrous. WI did plenty of things that brought the game into disrepute

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
i am surprised no-one has mentioned the incident where Viv Richards made the appeal of all appeals (ie he would let it go) and basically intimidated the umpire into giving the decision he wanted.
Vs Robert Bailey at Kensington Oval, 1990.

IVAR is seriously overrated as a gentleman.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pretty childish tbh. Also, saying it "95% of it stems from frustration and jealousy" is just avoiding the issue. Plus, it's a pretty dodgy accusation to make. People can (and do) have legitimate issues with the team behaviour...it's hardly just "frustration and jealousy".
That's your opinion - you're certainly entitled to it - as am I.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Though pithyness aside, I thought my response mirrored the level of Gavaskar and of a lot of the criticism that gets thrown the way of the Australian team. To reiterate, I'm not saying that several of the Australian team haven't acted like gooses at different points - a couple of guys have even been repeat offenders. But I find the generalising about the team, and the exaggeration of the differences between what Australia do and what other teams do, and the holier-than-thou attitudes of lots of fans from other countries to be a deeply disappointing, but apparently unchangeable state of affairs. In that circumstance, what can you say but "good luck to you with your opinion, but I don't care what you think".

Swervy

International Captain
Vs Robert Bailey at Kensington Oval, 1990.

IVAR is seriously overrated as a gentleman.
yeah...he did what he thought was needed to win games. I dont have a problem with it, as long as the likes of Gavaskar recognise that fair enough...but he doesnt and I have a problem with a guy like him who complains about Aussie conduct when he overlooks the things the West Indians did do, and also the stuff that he did.(for example the taking his batting partner off the field incident, no matter how bad a ump desicion it was, at worst it was a missed inside edge, its cricket it happens, what he did was about a low as you can get really)

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No I don't think you will, but gererally I feel they will be fondly remembered:)
Nope, Only Aussie player from current generation that can get close is is Shane Warne.

Well what they call McDermott sounds personal to me:-O
I must have missed that..did it happen in the 70s-80s ? Mcdermott was no saint either when it came to sledging.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand what you're saying is "BS" (love the irony of a thread complaining about Australians' lack of manner, yet who's doing all the swearing?). Are you saying that I'm wrong in suggesting those factors would have contributed to Slater acting in an out of character way?

There no doubt are other examples, but that was the one you chose to make your point. Don't get narky because you chose a poor example.
I chose that example because someone talked about home umpring in 2001 series and that sledging happened in 2001 series as well. And I dont care what Slats/Mcgrath were going through..It's just an excuse...nothing more nothing less.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No, independent Umpires (Umpires, by definition, are neutral) were introduced to stop these - mostly utterly ludicrous - accusations of bias. There can never, ever be any certainty that the Umpiring is biased. Sure, it probably was in New Zealand that series (and, who knows, many others maybe) just as it was in Pakistan in 1987\88 and so many other times, but that it was biased is not fact.

Yes, it does. This whole think is about taking things beyond the barrier of decency. West Indies on those 2 occasions did such a thing.

And so is mental, otherwise they'd be playing with robots...
Good Job of contradicting yourself.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So what do you define insults/abuse?

Unless they are saying something hurtful or sensitive (say a family member had just died or were terribly sick), somthing racist, or anything over the line, then it isn't and I doubt they would swoop that low. I don't suppose you wouldn't hold Darren Lehmann that high as well then?

Otherwise, if saying something sarcastic, like 'great shot' after a play-and-miss or 'your own form today' whilst he is stuggling for a run, then that is sledging and that happens in all forms of the game, and I would find it hard believe nothing got said when you these angels like Viv Richards were out there.
When was the last time any WI cricketer from the 70s-80, called names, abused oppenent player's mothers , wives etc etc...?

Oh yeah, FYI Malcolm Marshall said to David Boon on his Test debut that if he didn't do the right thing, he would be forced to come around the wicket and kill him.

So there you go.
And how is that personal abuse/insult ? He was clearly talking about his bowling.