• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
They weren't the only one's who gave home-town decisons. If you read Sir Garry Sobers autobiography (I'm sure you have) you will remember the bit about on his first tour of Pakistan and how he kept getting wrong calls against him because they didn't want to get a ton. One player even bragged about it. Not to forget the 2001 Test at Kolkata, there were some dodgy calls against the Australian players.

I know you probably don't intend to, but that is how it comes across.
Actually, if you read my comments on 2001 Kolkata test, you will know that I have always acknowledged that the home umpires were more than generous in favor of the home team and If an aussie player had reacted against that I wouldn't have felt bad about it. But in the same series, during the first test, Slater's behavior was disgusting at best and kind of perfect example of the bad behavior I am talking about.

I have never claimed that Sub-continent umpires were unbiased, they were biased as well as incompetent and If some player acted out of frustration against that, I would never blame the player for the act.

What I cant stand is that Aussie players hurling abuses at other teams in the name of mental disintegration.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I guess it comes down to, we can't make the rest of the world like us, and the current players are going to keep on doing their job the best way they now how. If "the rest of the world" dislikes us, I for one honestly couldn't give two hoots. Its a bit of a case of "everyone hates us and we don't care". But then I barrack for Collingwood in the AFL so I'm used to copping abuse on behalf of my team.

Those who find it all a bit too much for their delicate little souls to bear should probably consider switching sports to ballroom dancing, or chess - although I hear Kasparov is a filthy sledger... 8-)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FWIW, i've never understood this attitude of Team X is so much better behaved than Team Y.

Every team indulges in sledging, gamesmanship....whatever you may call it. The Windies of the 80's did it, the Aussies do it now, teh Indians and Pakistanis do it etc.
I'm of the view that you've got to accept that....it's part and parcel of the game and if you dish it out, you've got to be prepared to accept it in return.

As long as it doesn't step out of the bounds of decency (and descends into racial, ***ual abuse etc - and I do think the umpires/referees have a role here), I have no problem.
Yes almost all the teams do it in some form or the other but Aussies are the best team in the world, that's why they get picked.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bermuda are apparently absolutely filthy in their sledging. Word is batsman just go off crying after they've been dismissed.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Actually, if you read my comments on 2001 Kolkata test, you will know that I have always acknowledged that the home umpires were more than generous in favor of the home team and If an aussie player had reacted against that I wouldn't have felt bad about it. But in the same series, during the first test, Slater's behavior was disgusting at best and kind of perfect example of the bad behavior I am talking about.

I have never claimed that Sub-continent umpires were unbiased, they were biased as well as incompetent and If some player acted out of frustration against that, I would never blame the player for the act.

What I cant stand is that Aussie players hurling abuses at other teams in the name of mental disintegration.
Using Slater's behaviour as an example of Australia's general conduct is probably a bit unfair. Slater was struggling with a chronic illness, was in a form slump that he couldn't work a way out of, and most significantly was right smack in the middle of the end of his marriage. He probably wasn't in a fit mental state to be representing the team, and this was recognised and acted upon soon afterwards...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
A lot of these ex-players have to say someting to stir the port - I mean they are getting paid for it invariably.

When statements like these come up, I make little of it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I think this is also a time thing, and in 30 years the Aussie team will be remembered much more fondly
I dont think they will be and I can say that because I have watched the WI and the Aussie both, I will never be able to respect and like a Ricky Ponting or a Steve Waugh as much as I do a Vivian Richards or Clive Lloyd. I will never be able to respect Mcgrath as much as a Holding/Marshall/Garner etc. Never, not in this life.

they did their fare share of chat, see McDermott comment, and Greenidge also asked Lawson out the back of the SCG
There is a different between chat and personl abuse/insults

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Using Slater's behaviour as an example of Australia's general conduct is probably a bit unfair. Slater was struggling with a chronic illness, was in a form slump that he couldn't work a way out of, and most significantly was right smack in the middle of the end of his marriage. He probably wasn't in a fit mental state to be representing the team, and this was recognised and acted upon soon afterwards...
Please dont give me that BS excuse that slater was suffering from blah and Mcgrath was under lot of mental stress...There are 10s of examples.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar's said this sort of thing a million times before, it's complete bull**** that the WIs of the 70s and 80s were more gentlemanly (as the New Zealand tour of 79\80's many incidents demonstrate) and as far as I'm concerned there's nothing new at all in his latest tirade.

Bit surprised at the revelations in that book of archie's, mind. Wouldn't have guessed that.
Top point that

shankar

International Debutant
Actually, if you read my comments on 2001 Kolkata test, you will know that I have always acknowledged that the home umpires were more than generous in favor of the home team and If an aussie player had reacted against that I wouldn't have felt bad about it.
Actually I'd say the umpire there, Bansal was incompetent rather than biased. One decision that people often forget about in that match is when after Bhajji's hat-trick, Steve Waugh got a massive edge off Venkatesh Prasad and was caught by the keeper. Bansal, unbelievably gave him not out and he went on to put up a huge partnership with Gillespie without which Aus's imposing first innings total wouldnt have happened.

R_D

International Debutant
Please dont give me that BS excuse that slater was suffering from blah and Mcgrath was under lot of mental stress...There are 10s of examples.
There's always perfectly valid excuse for the australian misbehaviour or performance in certain countries or certain attacks et al.

R_D

International Debutant
Top point that
Yeah forget about the fact what caused such over-raction.
I'm not 100% sure isn't that match where NZ umpire wouldn't give anyone unless it was bowled or was so balanty out that they had no choice but give the batsman out.
WHen one of WI bowler got NZ batsman bowled out, he asked umpire, is that out umpire ?... :laugh: :laugh:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I really couldn't care less what Gavaskar has to say about the Aussie team. Pretty much the same for all the people who like to slag off the current Aussie team. I remain convinced that 95% of it stems from frustration and jealousy. I don't accept that their behaviour is any worse than other teams, I just think it bothers people more when the Aussies do it because we always win.

I hope Sunny can come up on the stage when we win the Cup for the third time in a row, so he can have a nice close look at it before Damien Martyn (flown out especially) pushes him off the stage... :cool:
I guess it comes down to, we can't make the rest of the world like us, and the current players are going to keep on doing their job the best way they now how. If "the rest of the world" dislikes us, I for one honestly couldn't give two hoots. Its a bit of a case of "everyone hates us and we don't care". But then I barrack for Collingwood in the AFL so I'm used to copping abuse on behalf of my team.

Those who find it all a bit too much for their delicate little souls to bear should probably consider switching sports to ballroom dancing, or chess - although I hear Kasparov is a filthy sledger... 8-)
Pretty childish tbh. Also, saying it "95% of it stems from frustration and jealousy" is just avoiding the issue. Plus, it's a pretty dodgy accusation to make. People can (and do) have legitimate issues with the team behaviour...it's hardly just "frustration and jealousy".

Last edited:

Evermind

International Debutant
The 3 worst behaved teams in international cricket are:

1. South Africa

2. Pakistan

3. India - if for no other reason than Sreesanth is such a complete ****

The two series in South Africa this year between these 3 countries produced some of the worst behaviour seen in years.

As for Gavaskar's comments re the West Indies - crap

They were well known for racial slurs and Michael Holding has admitted as much
Did someone call this the worst post ever??!?!?!?

Seconded.

biased indian

International Coach
The Australian Team from 2000 onwards + Andrew Nel

will out weigh every other player who played put together ,in personal abuse thing

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Tbh, I could never see how this supposed "abuse" our team dishes out is going to do any harm for the game and so on. I understand everyone loves the term 'gentlemans game' but things have changed since English boffins had a laugh and a bat on a sunday afternoon. Its hardly any worse than most other high paying sports, so grow a backbone ffs.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't understand what you're saying is "BS" (love the irony of a thread complaining about Australians' lack of manner, yet who's doing all the swearing?). Are you saying that I'm wrong in suggesting those factors would have contributed to Slater acting in an out of character way?

There no doubt are other examples, but that was the one you chose to make your point. Don't get narky because you chose a poor example.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did someone call this the worst post ever??!?!?!?

Seconded.
So what r u disputing?

The South Africans sledge as much, if not more, than any other side and many of their series are characterized by ill-feelings between the teams. When playing Oz, it is also characterized by whinging and whining because SA happens to get flogged in virtually every series between the 2 countries.

Pakistan, collectively, have the worst disciplinary record in international cricket whilst their captain holds the individual "honours."

In response to someone's suggestion that Sreesanth is merely "in your face":

McGrath is in your face

Nel is OTT in your face

In SA, Sreesanth combined Nel's OTT with mocking of others when he had success, threatening behaviour when he was frustrated and time-wasting antics to rival an Argie soccer player. In short, he carried on like an absolute jackass.

As for Holding's claims, he explained it away by saying that Richards, etc took sledging as a personal insult to their manhood and returned fire via racial slurs.

And, BTW, the last team I've seen to be warned for excessive sledging was the West Indies at Adelaide in 2005/6

It's very easy to take a shot at Australia, as Gavaskar has done, because the country has had that reputation for over 30 years. However, at present, there are a no. of sides/individuals who are worse offenders.

FRAZ

International Captain
I think that there sure is a lot of difference b/w personal race-based insults (Example : Nel) and being aggressive in a "person to person" ,a healthy and a competitive way (Example: Shoaib Akhtar ) . Personally I will agree with Linda's statement (if she means being aggressive in Shoaib's way) that what harm is it doing to the cricket but people forget that the targeted and racial bias-ism and slurs were may be the basic issues raised by Sunil .....

Last edited: