• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Twenty20 Is Boring Society Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which skills are utilized in ODI that are not done so in Twenty20?
The ability to play according to the situation - given that the situation can change multiple times in a 50-over (and, better still, a 60-over) game. In a Twenty20, it can change about once - you're playing the big shots, you're in the game; you've lost too many wickets, you can't slog, you're out of it.

ODIs embrace all sorts of styles, paces, genres of batting (and bowling); Twenty20 doesn't.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you really do think that's "cool", I wonder why you bother to post, tbh.

First of all, Australians and New Zealanders are probably the largest group of members on CW, so it's hardly surprising if most of the "haters" - as you so poorly put it - are from that part of the world.

Secondly, I don't know where the hell you get off claiming that any of our opinions on Twenty20 are irrational. Most of us have given perfectly sound, extensively explained reasoning for our opinions, and your claims of irrationality most likely simply stem from the fact that we disagree with you. Coupled with your assertions that people who happen to agree with us are of below average intelligence and comparable to small children, I suggest it's you that is irrational.

Thirdly, our little society is a purely tongue-in-cheek thing - there is no conspiracy to agree with each other. It's you that is taking it too seriously. Get over it.

You missed the point that virtually every English member accepts or likes Twenty20, there seems a significant correlation between acceptance of Twenty20 and how early it was adopted domestically. I've yet to see any extensively explained reasoning for the vast number of CW members hating Twenty20 but liking OD stuff. I could understand people saying it's just not their thing or they don't like any limited over stuff, but people are trying to come up with all sorts of excuses why they can't stand Twenty20 but like ODIs.

Hope you haven't been too overwhelmed by the irony in your last comment...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I don't know what you were reading, then, frankly.

Maybe not many on here might've said such a thing, but there were many saying it and still more quietly implying it. And given that we immidiately lost in Pakistan and drew at home to Sri Lanka, both terrible results, there was precisely no case whatsoever for suggesting so.
Obviously there was no case, and no-one who I consider to know a thing about cricket suggested we were the best in the world - certainly no-one on here. However, to be fair, after the Ashes, given we'd won our last 7 series or something, we were definitely 2nd.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The ability to play according to the situation - given that the situation can change multiple times in a 50-over (and, better still, a 60-over) game.
Well, you're pretty much saying - 'the longer, the better'. In which case, watch tests. ODI's are not long enough to have a true exhibition of defensive batting or smart bowling (long spells , setting batsmen up, etc).

ODIs embrace all sorts of styles, paces, genres of batting (and bowling); Twenty20 doesn't.
No, it does not. You'll rarely see a great primarily defensive innings in ODI's and when you do, it will likely be criticized rather than appreciated. And even more rarely will you see fast bowling with six slips in an all out attack.

It is too long to be pure hitting all the way through, and too short for the real skills to shine through...

Look, I have no right to tell you what you should enjoy or not, and I personally only really enjoy Tests, but ODI as embracing 'all sorts of styles' kind of gets to me.

adharcric

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
I've yet to see any extensively explained reasoning for the vast number of CW members hating Twenty20 but liking OD stuff.
I suggest you start paying attention. I've seen at least 50 valid arguments in favor of the ODI > Twenty20 camp. The majority of them made sense.

Now, I haven't seen too many meaningful arguments from you. It's always about the haters being irrational or the haters not being English. That's not good enough.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Well, you're pretty much saying - 'the longer, the better'. In which case, watch tests. ODI's are not long enough to have a true exhibition of defensive batting or smart bowling (long spells , setting batsmen up, etc).
WTF? I hope that's not your argument. He's saying 'the longer, the better'. In which case, watch tests. Otherwise, you watch ODIs because they are the next best thing.
You don't go from best to worst if there's an option in the middle.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
WTF? I hope that's not your argument. He's saying 'the longer, the better'. In which case, watch tests. Otherwise, you watch ODIs because they are the next best thing.
You don't go from best to worst if there's an option in the middle.
He's just explained why in the 2nd part of that post :sleep:

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
No, it does not. You'll rarely see a great primarily defensive innings in ODI's and when you do, it will likely be criticized rather than appreciated. And even more rarely will you see fast bowling with six slips in an all out attack.
Obviously, it doesn't do that to the extent of test cricket. You still get to see both aggressive and defensive batting, just as in tests. The balance is merely shifted.
In that format, there is no balance.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
You missed the point that virtually every English member accepts or likes Twenty20, there seems a significant correlation between acceptance of Twenty20 and how early it was adopted domestically.
It could also be idiotic nationalist sentiment that argues, "we invented it therefore it must be brilliant". There's no correlation at all. Both NZ and Australia had a domestic Twenty20 setup before internationals came along. Besides, I for one was quite interested in the idea, until I actually saw a few games.

I've yet to see any extensively explained reasoning for the vast number of CW members hating Twenty20 but liking OD stuff. I could understand people saying it's just not their thing or they don't like any limited over stuff, but people are trying to come up with all sorts of excuses why they can't stand Twenty20 but like ODIs.
So basically if someone doesn't like Twenty20, their reasoning is just "excuses". Excuses for what? To prove a point to you? Logically, why would anyone go to such lengths to placate you? You haven't seen any reasoning because you refuse to accept that anyone who disagrees with you could possibly be reasonable.

Scaly piscine

I suggest you start paying attention. I've seen at least 50 valid arguments in favor of the ODI > Twenty20 camp. The majority of them made sense.

Now, I haven't seen too many meaningful arguments from you. It's always about the haters being irrational or the haters not being English. That's not good enough.
Not really relevant because this is about the I like ODIs but I can't stand Twenty20 camp. I don't need to have an argument, I'm not the one trying to justify a counter-intuitive opinion. It is up to people to explain why something that goes again all common sense is reasonable and not just down to pre-conceived ideas and bias, which as far as I can see hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You missed the point that virtually every English member accepts or likes Twenty20, there seems a significant correlation beween acceptance of Twenty20 and how early it was adopted domestically.
I belive that SA adopted it before England did, what's their view on it as a whole?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously there was no case, and no-one who I consider to know a thing about cricket suggested we were the best in the world - certainly no-one on here. However, to be fair, after the Ashes, given we'd won our last 7 series or something, we were definitely 2nd.
Which is more than we are now.

Dick Rockett

Plenty of things invented in England are hated here.

I can categorically say that that is not the reason why I at least accept Twenty20, if not like it.
I was being sarcastic to show that Scaly's theory is based on nothing more than him grabbing at straws. If I can make something up, so can he.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I've seen enough of it in 50-over games, and certainly plenty of it in 60-over stuff.
It'll be appreciated if it's come in the right context. A low-scoring game where a 60*-off-105-balls wins it by 2 wickets will have massive praise lathered on it and quite rightly.
Look, I have no right to tell you what you should enjoy or not, and I personally only really enjoy Tests, but ODI as embracing 'all sorts of styles' kind of gets to me.
I just don't see how anyone could think a good ODI doesn't embrace many different styles of batting. I'd say you just need to look at the number of different-style ODI batsmen (and bowlers) who've achieved definitively noteworthy success. Take, for example, Marcus Trescothick and Nick Knight - two totally different batsmen, but England's best 2 in the modern era. Or Graeme Hick and Neil Fairbrother - again, totally different batsmen, but hugely successful.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

That's moreorless why we call him Elitist Xenophobic Dimwit.

Dick Rockett

Not really relevant because this is about the I like ODIs but I can't stand Twenty20 camp. I don't need to have an argument, I'm not the one trying to justify a counter-intuitive opinion. It is up to people to explain why something that goes again all common sense is reasonable and not just down to pre-conceived ideas and bias, which as far as I can see hasn't happened yet.
I still don't see how you can claim you don't need an argument when you're claiming to know why exactly a multitude of different people who you don't know, feel the way they do. How on earth can you claim to know how I, for example, came to dislike Twenty20? Can you even tell me when I arrived at that realisation? You can't, because you don't know. You're simply insulting the intelligence of a lot of people who happen to share a viewpoint different to yours.

Scaly piscine

It could also be idiotic nationalist sentiment that argues, "we invented it therefore it must be brilliant". There's no correlation at all. Both NZ and Australia had a domestic Twenty20 setup before internationals came along. Besides, I for one was quite interested in the idea, until I actually saw a few games.
There's plenty of correlation if you read properly. England was the first to play Twenty20, it is widely accepted here, SA adopted it early it is widely accepted there. Australia have only just properly adopted it and well more of a mixed reception with your average longer term cricket fan. Not sure about NZ.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Obviously, it doesn't do that to the extent of test cricket. You still get to see both aggressive and defensive batting, just as in tests. The balance is merely shifted.
In that format, there is no balance.
No you don't. You see aggressive and less aggressive batting. And defensive and less defensive bowling. And the field placement is horrid. In Twenty20, you get to see aggressive batting at its best. In ODI's, you're stuck about 1/3 of the way between Twenty20 and Tests.

You lack the aggressive bowling from tests and the aggressive batting from Twenty20. You also lack the great defensive innings from Tests and the insanely fast paced day of cricket from Twenty20.

In the end, you're left with an aborted format with many vices and few virtues.