• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Twenty20 Is Boring Society Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Some interesting views about Twenty20 Cricket here, i was having a chat to a guy work about Twenty20 Cricket. He was telling me how the same views people have in this thread have about Twenty20 Cricket, were the ones that many had about OD cricket when it first started. Its reckon that T20 just needs something like WSC to take off.

Anyway good luck without your society, i might just start my own ODI is Boring Society.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The way I see it, world cricket doesn't need another major tournament. It's already hectic enough as it is. And if it comes to choosing between Twenty20 and ODI cricket, it's really no contest in my mind. Twenty20 cricket lacks the substance of ODI cricket. There's a lot more room for average players to succeed in Twenty20 cricket than in ODI cricket. It's much the same as the divide between Tests and ODIs.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The way I see it, world cricket doesn't need another major tournament. It's already hectic enough as it is. And if it comes to choosing between Twenty20 and ODI cricket, it's really no contest in my mind. Twenty20 cricket lacks the substance of ODI cricket. There's a lot more room for average players to succeed in Twenty20 cricket than in ODI cricket. It's much the same as the divide between Tests and ODIs.
I think there is room for Twenty20 Cricket, but it would just mean the death of 7 match ODI series, which is the most boring aspect of cricket. Or even these long boring ODI series between three sides that are played over 12 matches and then 3 ODI finals in Australia. Short sharp ODI series is all that required with a bit Twenty20 on the side, there is room if they cut down those long ODI series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think there is room for Twenty20 Cricket, but it would just mean the death of 7 match ODI series, which is the most boring aspect of cricket. Or even these long boring ODI series between three sides that are played over 12 matches and then 3 ODI finals in Australia. Short sharp ODI series is all that required with a bit Twenty20 on the side, there is room if they cut down those long ODI series.
The fear is though, they'll cut down test series instead.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Or even these long boring ODI series between three sides that are played over 12 matches and then 3 ODI finals in Australia.
It's pretty obvious that the main reason for the format of the ODI series in Australia is to parade the pride of Australia to every corner of the country. There was an article on CricInfo recently that summed it up well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The fear is though, they'll cut down test series instead.
Yes true, but you shouldn't hate Twenty20 Cricket cus of the fear that it cut down the number of Test. If that was the case you should hate ODI cricket as well, due to the fact it has already cut down the number of Test matches. Do u think we would have these stupid 2 test match series, if its wasn't beacause there are so many Tri-series and 7 Match series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes true, but you shouldn't hate Twenty20 Cricket cus of the fear that it cut down the number of Test. If that was the case you should hate ODI cricket as well, due to the fact it has already cut down the number of Test matches. Do u think we would have these stupid 2 test match series, if its wasn't beacause there are so many Tri-series and 7 Match series.
I don't mind one day cricket though - it's good for a change of scenery and although I still hold tests in much higher regard, it requires a different set of skills which I can appreciate and it allows for the World Cup.

Twenty20 doesn't really offer much internationally when one day cricket already exists IMO.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Twenty20 doesn't really offer much internationally when one day cricket already exists IMO.
Fair enough but for me it starting to become the other way around. Its seems ODI cricket is becoming the middle child, it doesn't have the skill level of Test Cricket, but it doesn't have the entertainment value of Twenty20. But i guess most people who posted in this thread will disagree as they think Twenty20 cricket is boring.

For what it matter i rather 5 Test match series all year long, with the odd 3 match ODI series and one off Twenty20, with ODIs WC and T20 WCs every two years.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Or even these long boring ODI series between three sides that are played over 12 matches and then 3 ODI finals in Australia.
It's pretty obvious that the main reason for the format of the ODI series in Australia is to parade the pride of Australia to every corner of the country.
The Australian tri-series was one of the most highly regarded one-day sideshows out there, until every country started having them as a meaningless cash cow. Winning the "World Series Cup" used to mean something. Don't blame the Aussies, it was a great idea for the first 10 years or so.

Dick Rockett

You're absolutely right - I think you'll find that most true cricket fans would love the number of coloured clothing games to be cut in favour of more tests. However, we think that if there is to be a diversion from tests, it should be ODIs.
Its seems ODI cricket is becoming the middle child, it doesn't have the skill level of Test Cricket, but it doesn't have the entertainment value of Twenty20.
I completely disagree. Twenty20 isn't entertaining, it's repetition, like the home run derbys and slam dunk comps in the USA.

ODIs allow for the subtlety of tests as well as big hitting. There's really no need for Twenty20 other than to make money from fly-by-night "fans" who have no interest in the sport let alone a passion for it. The ICC is courting the wrong people, IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I was actually quite pleased this society is called "20/20 is boring" rather than some other slight on it, because that's really the main problem with it IMO. It's boring, and I couldn't be arsed sitting through a whole game of it. I've even turned off internationals involving Australia before because I wasn't enjoying watching it, which has never happened with any form of cricket. Beyond the complaints about the contest between bat and ball and the length of the game and everything else, the eventual symptom of these things is that it's a boring format.

The slam dunk competition as opposed to a game of basketball is probably a fair comparison.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I was actually quite pleased this society is called "20/20 is boring" rather than some other slight on it, because that's really the main problem with it IMO. It's boring, and I couldn't be arsed sitting through a whole game of it. I've even turned off internationals involving Australia before because I wasn't enjoying watching it, which has never happened with any form of cricket. Beyond the complaints about the contest between bat and ball and the length of the game and everything else, the eventual symptom of these things is that it's a boring format.

The slam dunk competition as opposed to a game of basketball is probably a fair comparison.

As has already been said lots of the Twenty20 haters on CW have already brainwashed themselves and other irrational Twenty20 haters into disliking it no matter what. If you want a comparison it's like the child who takes one look at some new food and decides it's going to taste horrible and sure enough when they taste it they don't like it.

The complaints about contest between bat and ball don't stand up at all, bowling plays a far bigger role in the game than it does in most ODIs. Half a game filled with players on the boundary and batsmen milking 4-5 singles an over - that's boring. High-scoring drawn Tests with little chance of bowlers getting batsmen out - that's boring. Twenty20 being a boring format is a ridiculous argument. There are many viable arguments against Twenty20, most of which also apply to ODIs, but it being a boring format isn't one of them.

Dick Rockett

As has already been said lots of the Twenty20 haters on CW have already brainwashed themselves and other irrational Twenty20 haters into disliking it no matter what. If you want a comparison it's like the child who takes one look at some new food and decides it's going to taste horrible and sure enough when they taste it they don't like it.
Hands down, that has to be the most patronising thing you've ever written.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hands down, that has to be the most patronising thing you've ever written.
Cool, do I have the entire top 10 CW most patronising posts yet?

Look at most of the 'haters' - a huge proportion are from Australia or NZ, it's the new culture from there for the long-term cricket fans to hate Twenty20. It's almost a religion where you reinforce each others irrational opinions by agreeing with each other and then preach about it wherever possible. Hardly any English members here hate Twenty20, they've been able to judge the game without any predisposition because it was new at the time - so there were no other opinions formed about it to bias a judgement.