• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
White ahead of Hogg? I don't think that would be the case if they were in direct competition.
Well it would be the case if they wanted a batting allrounder to bat number 7, but it wouldn't be the case if they wanted an actual spinner. It's really like saying Ponting v McGrath...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I liked Triple J's commentary:

Michael Vaughan - 'Winston Churchill'
James Anderson - 'Watergate'
there was also a 'John Cleese' and a 'Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe'

in summary 'the reverse sweep got them back in the game'
Haha yeah I was listening to it, was great.

Good game though, at least for the first innings. Cam White's a freaking gun, and I was quite impressed with Hilfenhaus and the amount of movement he was getting. And a big lol at England's reverse sweeps. Would be interested to see just how many they tried to play.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
You have got to be joking there...
Hogg is a better bowler but not by as much as people might think. White has looked rather impressive the last 3 times i've seen him bowl. Hogg's main competition isnt White though its Hilfenhaus/Johnson etc. As White will most likely play at 7 and Hogg/ whoever else at 8. Symonds, Clarke and White are more than enough spin options in my opinion anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hogg is a better bowler but not by as much as people might think. White has looked rather impressive the last 3 times i've seen him bowl. Hogg's main competition isnt White though its Hilfenhaus/Johnson etc. As White will most likely play at 7 and Hogg/ whoever else at 8. Symonds, Clarke and White are more than enough spin options in my opinion anyway.
White's bowling is ordinary IMO. He can bowl decently at times but lets be real here - so can Clarke and Symonds. He is a good one day batsman and I support his selection based on that, but as a bowler he has absolutely nothing on Hogg.

Johnners

You seem to be like most others, in that you're seriously underrating Brad Hogg. He's easily in the top 3 spinners on the ODI circuit, and it's detrimental to his ability as a spinner in suggesting that Symonds, Clarke & White, all of whom aren't speciliasts, collectively bring to the same to the bowling crease as he does.

The fact that his strike-rate of 36 is comparable to that of Murali says a lot about what he brings to the Australia ODI Line-up.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, how is White even in the same league as Hogg with the ball? That's like comparing Symonds to Lee as seam bowlers.

White's got a bit of potential and has bowled a couple of good spells recently, but Hogg is a proven class act as an ODI bowler. He has 110 wickets @ 27 and an economy rate of 4.5. He's comfortably in the top 5 or so ODI spinners in world cricket. Probably only behind Murali and Harbhajan, and on the same level as Vettori. If White ever has a record like that in ODI cricket it won't be until he's improved a long way from where he is at now. His List-A average is also 7 runs above Hogg's, and his economy rate in List-A games is 0.7 higher.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
Haha, how is White even in the same league as Hogg with the ball? That's like comparing Symonds to Lee as seam bowlers.
Was about to say the exact same thing.

Tonights game wasn't too exciting, the Aussies showed them how to do it but the English just didnt have the fire power. I like that Nixon bloke as their keeper, full of energy and isn't too shabby with the bat (but should give away the reverse sweep)

Maybe be their for the first ODI at the G.

-TT

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Cameron "The Bear" White > England.

Loved some of Bumble's commentary during this game. When he saw how fat Peter Parker, the umpire, was, he went "Who's this guy here?!" and then he and Athers proceeded to trade gags about Parker's weight all game. Then when White hit his first six, Bumble goes "Oh, looks like somebody rattled the Bear's cage!". :laugh:

Funniest moment of today's game came from my housemate, though - on seeing Shane Harwood coming on to bowl:

"Who's he? "Stickers"? He looks like an outback rapist." :laugh:

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Funniest moment of today's game came from my housemate, though - on seeing Shane Harwood coming on to bowl:

"Who's he? "Stickers"? He looks like an outback rapist." :laugh:
Harwood looks like a slightly taller, slimmer version of Mick Lewis to me :-O

Hilfenhaus + Cooley = English Ashes Nightmare 2009.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Haha, the glitter was the last straw for mine.
My wife, who was its fair to say bemused by the stupidity of the 20/20 format throughout the evening (and she's probably the supposed target audience) completely dissolved into hysterics when the glitter went off and obscured the Aussies for a good ten seconds... Loved Cam White's acceptance speech... "I'll be brief..." :laugh:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Harwood's fielding would count against him.
Well he ran Pietersen out with a direct hit from the boundary, so I don't think he had a totally disasterous day in the field. And he was far from the only guy to drop a sitter tonight. My guess is that blaring rock music and a contest that died an hour earlier equals.. shock horror, lapses in concentration!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Harwood looks like a slightly taller, slimmer version of Mick Lewis to me :-O

Hilfenhaus + Cooley = English Ashes Nightmare 2009.
I'll give you taller...

Whole match was (ironically given his lukewarm response to the fromat) very much like Ricky Ponting: short & desperately ugly.

Mister Wright

What the hell is up with these ugly ass Twenty20 uniforms?
Wait until the real ones come out on Friday morning. They are the worst design I've ever seen and that includes the Coca Cola sponsored uniforms of the mid nineties.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
What about England bringing Gough back for experience. He would be a whole lot better than Anderson or Mahmood and he can bowl at the death something which the England bowlers have never been told how to do this. Broad should also defiently be in there for his height and accuracy. I know people might moan that Gough has lost a bit of pace and nip from a few years ago but he can get his yorkers and slower balls in a key component in the one-day game plus he has experience.
My England XI for CBS
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Nixon
Dalrymple
Gough
Broad
Panesar