• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Fiery

Banned
Dad and I were following Campbell for a while, he looked solid enough, hopefully doesn't fall away as he can sometimes do. Wasn't sure who the other Kiwi was though.
Yeah he looked in good touch so hope he can keep it up too

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
one thing looks increasingly certain...although he isn't totally out of it yet, tiger doesn't look like he will be taking home his third straight open...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't put it past him
he is an exceptional frontrunner but he hasn't been too good at playing catch-up in the past...has to play an exceptional weekend and also hope that the players in front of him wilt a little...as i said, not entirely beyond tiger, but looking increasingly improbable...

Fiery

Banned
he is an exceptional frontrunner but he hasn't been too good at playing catch-up in the past...has to play an exceptional weekend and also hope that the players in front of him wilt a little...as i said, not entirely beyond tiger, but looking increasingly improbable...
true

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
looking like sergio's tournament to lose from here on....steve stricker and chris dimarco having excellent 3rd days...woods out of it...

Fiery

Banned
looking like sergio's tournament to lose from here on....steve stricker and chris dimarco having excellent 3rd days...woods out of it...
Yeah Tiger no chance now. My money is on Stricker who shot a 64! He has the momentum. He's 3 behind Garcia but think he can get up and it would be good to see a 40 year old win it imo, especially after reading this written a couple of years ago

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Tiger no chance now. My money is on Stricker who shot a 64! He has the momentum. He's 3 behind Garcia but think he can get up and it would be good to see a 40 year old win it imo, especially after reading this written a couple of years ago
stricker had a huge round today but garcia has been the steadier of the two and is by far the better player...so unless he self-destructs, i can see him shake off the tag of "the current best player never to win a major" tomorrow....

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Best major of the year so far by a long way.
Also pleased to see 2 irish lads well up the leaderboard and the leading amauter is also irish.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really a fan of golf but this looks like a grandstand finish coming up after Harrington went into the water twice on the 18th.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Not really a fan of golf but this looks like a grandstand finish coming up after Harrington went into the water twice on the 18th.
garcia bogeyed the 18th to tie harrington so it is into a playoff, harrington leading by 2 right now...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sergio chokes at the finish line yet again and paddy harrington takes home the open...

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Wooo great to see an irish(or even europe) winner of the open.
Was my favourite major of the year also,the course was fair and it made for some good golf.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hail Tiger Woods - what a player he is.

13 majors and counting. A phenomenal effort in an era with so wide a field of quality players.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He has won 13 times in 44 majors as a professional (Nicklaus won 11 in his first 44). That's a phenomenal winning rate considering how many players you have to play against. A sport like Tennis, you play what, 8 people one at a time, to win a championship?

Amazing, considering the quality of players is also higher. Niklaus was also 35 when he won his 13th, and Woods is 31. Just a matter of time IMO. I think he ends up with 22.

The most astonishing thing is, he now has more majors than the next five active players combined or something ridiculous like that.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Hail Tiger Woods - what a player he is.

13 majors and counting. A phenomenal effort in an era with so wide a field of quality players.
yes! tremendous effort in both the world golf championship the week before and in the pga championship! did you hear woody austin whine in his press conference that he doesn't get as much cheers as woods? an even more stupid statement, he said he outplayed woods in the 2nd round(woods scored a phenomenal 7 under 63 while austin scored an even par 70) but woods just scored better!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
anyone following the fedex cup playoffs on the pga tour? today was an electrifying day at the tpc boston for the deutsche bank championship with phil and tiger facing off and phil for once coming out on top...:)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
anyone following the fedex cup playoffs on the pga tour? today was an electrifying day at the tpc boston for the deutsche bank championship with phil and tiger facing off and phil for once coming out on top...:)
Yeah, i'm watching it. put money on Villegas. Next year, will be his year, mark my words.

The play-offs should of been brilliant, but when the top two decide to not take part in one of them, it takes a bit of gloss off it. Woods is a lock now, may have been interesting if phil had played all of them..

To think winning ten million dollars isn't that important to them:wacko: