• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, no idea, it's wide open nowadays, for constancy I'll go for Kuchar, Watney And Dustin Johnson, but they've not really had the seasons I'd thought they would.

Garrido in the Iberdrola is my nap of the week though.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
donald is high on everyone's list it looks like...you don't like his chances? and what do you think about westwood and mcilroy missing the tournament?

grecian

donald is high on everyone's list it looks like...you don't like his chances? and what do you think about westwood and mcilroy missing the tournament?

Oh, I just don't get Donald, the man has the charisma of a chartered accountant. I try to avoid the fact he exists, which is very easy to do actually, as hardly anyone in this country knows him from adam.

Doesn't fit in with Lee or Rory's schedules, fair enough, I love watching this tournament, but it does blow itself up in it's own self-importance, it ain't a major, and now it's in May, it's isolated. Lee's taking his son to the Cup Final, so that's a decent way of spending his time.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, I just don't get Donald, the man has the charisma of a chartered accountant. I try to avoid the fact he exists, which is very easy to do actually, as hardly anyone in this country knows him from adam.
well the chartered accountant is at the top of the world now, getting harder to avoid the fact of his existence, wouldn't you say?:)

grecian

well the chartered accountant is at the top of the world now, getting harder to avoid the fact of his existence, wouldn't you say?:)
Yeah, but I still won't acknowledge him as such until he wins a major, nor the last number one for that matter.

He was quite interesting for him, in the last two days though, drove appallingly really, kept on recovering well.

Peter Alliss was as shocking as ever. RETIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well he at least has a world golf championship to his credit and a couple of big wins this season, westwood has been a perennial runner-up at big tournaments...but you are right, without a major, the title does seem hollow...

grecian

Amazing that everybody was disappointed with Mannasero's placing at the Italian Open, if anyone else had done it at his age, people would be in raptures. Yet I guess that's the pressure he's put himself under, for being so good.

Again another wide-open major coming up. Donald really could have the game for an USOpen. I think my normal bets of Watney, Kuchar and Kaymer, have a good chance here. Choi may also be in with a shout.

Interesting that Goosen played well in the St Jude Classic, loves the tournament, and could be worth an outside bet.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
this is not typical u.s open conditions so that has something to do with his high score and the much bigger number of under par scores in general but what is impressive is how much better he has been than his competitors and it's not as if the rest of the field is playing poorly...anyway in spite of westwood's brave talk, rory is going to win his 1st major tomorrow...and easily at that...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
and he finishes it off without any fuss...provided he remains injury-free and motivated, he can get to double-digit major titles...

Son Of Coco

Great effort by McIlroy, and to think he should've won The Masters too. Saw him play in Melbourne a few years back, always looks so casual on the course. Would've watched a lot more of him if I knew he was going to be this good.

grecian

no one discussing golf and the open championship is underway..?!
Well this isn't a big golf board really, sure it'll heat up when we get near the finish. Practically everyone I backed having a 'mare, apart from Schwarzel & Kaymer.

They clearly breed 'em tough on the hard streets of Welwyn Garden City, and Lucas Glover's beard is immense. That's my summation of the first round.