• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Football World Cup 2019 thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
deserves its own thread, so the Aussies can post and it doesn't get torn between two seasons of the EPL thread.

I'm going to two games in Reims :cool:

andmark

International Captain
That penalty for Italy against Jamaica was a farce. The foul was borderline and then (possibly the first time I've ever seen this) the goalkeeper is given a yellow card for leaving her line during the (saved) penalty. The penalty is retaken and scored. I get that the rule about the keeper remaining on the line is the rule, but it's pretty much never enforced, so to give a yellow card is harsh.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
That penalty for Italy against Jamaica was a farce. The foul was borderline and then (possibly the first time I've ever seen this) the goalkeeper is given a yellow card for leaving her line during the (saved) penalty. The penalty is retaken and scored. I get that the rule about the keeper remaining on the line is the rule, but it's pretty much never enforced, so to give a yellow card is harsh.
new guidelines to referees, they're supposed to enforce it more heavily from this year (and with VAR it'll presumably be easier to control)

bit of a kick in the teeth to the women to have VAR here when literally no one have played with it before though

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have really enjoyed the few matches I have watched so far. Have had to watch alone though. The comments from the usual suspects in the pub etc have been too difficult to stomach

andmark

International Captain
Yeah same. The BBC having football coverage has been decent for those of us peasants/urban proletariat without Sky. It was nice to see the Dutch team playing a similar fluid possession-based style as the Dutch men play.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The standard is quite good as well imo. It's a touch slower and a little sloppy (for obvious reasons unrelated to ability) but that helps the product a lot, especially in the tournament setting. Adds a sense of excitement.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah same. The BBC having football coverage has been decent for those of us peasants/urban proletariat without Sky. It was nice to see the Dutch team playing a similar fluid possession-based style as the Dutch men play.
I thinking along similar lines watching Argentina last night; similar attitude to their male counterparts over the years.

Good game this afternoon. Miedema is quite something.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The sports bulletins on the radio in the morning just spend time banging on about VAR rather than the matches themselves. Annoying.

andmark

International Captain
The standard is quite good as well imo. It's a touch slower and a little sloppy (for obvious reasons unrelated to ability) but that helps the product a lot, especially in the tournament setting. Adds a sense of excitement.
I was wondering whether it makes sense tactically to play on the counterattack given that other than against a few select teams (obvious example is the USA) you can rely on the opponent making a sloppy error. That said, I'm not sure I've seen that idea work so far in the tournament. NZ for example played more defensively than a team managed by a Sam Allardyce and Mourinho hybrid but it didn't work out for them.

andmark

International Captain
Decent assist for the English (first I hope) goal. She was under physical pressure as well as having stumbled, yet managed to play an accurate through ball with the right power.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's not a farce, goalkeepers are supposed to stay on their line. They've been getting away with it for far too long.

andmark

International Captain
It's not a farce, goalkeepers are supposed to stay on their line. They've been getting away with it for far too long.
I agree that the rule is for the goalkeeper to stay on the line, although I was unaware of the new guidelines Magrat mentioned which led to that judgement. If not for the new guidelines, I'd still say the yellow card was harsh for a rule which is barely enforced. That said, in order for me to maintain this revised opinion, the rule will have to be enforced much more now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If what Alexander has done there is against the rules then they need looked at.

VAR isn't for for purpose as it's currently being applied.