• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Football World Cup 2019 thread

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Cameroon refusing to play because they don't understand the offside rule. Interesting.

cpr

International Coach
Reckon they got absolutely shafted for their goal though, all it proved to me was that she was level.

andmark

International Captain
About the only football match where it'd be interesting to post about in the Political Correctness thread.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hoping to catch one game this tournament that isn't dominated by some kind of head-melting VAR controversy.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If players are going to behave like that when the decisions are so obviously correct there's not much hope. The VAR errors in that game were the non retrospective viewing of the elbow, plus England not getting a penalty and the lack of a red card for the last minute foul. I would hope the last two were the referee believing with the game won and lost she might as well let it go.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It was pretty pathetic stuff from Cameroon.

As LT says one hopes the ref was turning a politic blind eye late on because, in isolation, there were a couple of howlers.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If the early elbow had ended up as a red would Cameroon have behaved better?
Not sure how that would have affected the dissent and refusal to restart after the VAR decisions. Maybe the last minute stamp on Houghton, but the game was over by then anyway.

I was wondering what the referee was supposed to do when they refused to restart after our 2nd goal. Yellow cards to all of the outfield players? Or maybe just to the captain.

What's been lost in all the brouhaha about the Cameroon's behaviour is how poor we were for long parts of the game; just as we were against Japan actually. Greenwood, Bright and Duggan particularly culpable, but the central midfield was pretty ordinary too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It might have stopped the spitting and violence a bit?

FIFA have now said the referee’s performance was good and she got the VAR calls right. However they’ve also said they could take retrospective punishment against all 3 potential red cards...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It might have stopped the spitting and violence a bit?

FIFA have now said the referee’s performance was good and she got the VAR calls right. However they’ve also said they could take retrospective punishment against all 3 potential red cards...

Maybe. And lets hope something does happen about what should have been red card incidents.

andmark

International Captain
FFS, the BBC's online video coverage is so far behind that England just scored their third, and I knew they were going to score because the text already said "0-3". If the video is to be behind, the text may as well be also.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Much better performance last night. Helped by Stokes replacing Greenwood. And massively helped by Houghton being fit; she really is terrific. Needs to be mind you, with Bright still accident prone along side her.

andmark

International Captain
Much better performance last night. Helped by Stokes replacing Greenwood. And massively helped by Houghton being fit; she really is terrific. Needs to be mind you, with Bright still accident prone along side her.
Yeah, I was very impressed. England had a well organised pressing structure, including encouraging Norway to pass into pressing traps. And yeah, as you say, Steph Houghton has had a very good tournament from what I've seen. Seems to be a very good player.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha he is, but yet I have warmed to him quite a lot over the last year or so. He is much better in his capacity as a coach than he ever was as a pundit.
By all accounts he's doing quite a good job, but every time he opens his mouth I cringe.