• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This will be all sorts of cringe, however the eventual mutiny/implosion should make it all worthwhile.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That said. Before the inevitable meltdown, whenever it occurs, I should think this will be a fairly successful appointment in the short-to-mid term. So that is something that will have to be stomached. At least whatever success they have will not come at the expense of Arsenal though, who are clearly not in contention for anything good in the immediate future.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thing is, all the Spurs fans I know detest Mourinho as much as we do. Very interested in seeing how this develops.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thing is, all the Spurs fans I know detest Mourinho as much as we do. Very interested in seeing how this develops.
He's at least well-suited to the job of squeezing one last campaign out of an ageing squad.

The arguments with Levy will be fierce though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I dunno, I feel Mourinho's at his best when he's in charge of a plucky underdog. Both of his Champions League wins have come at teams where you wouldn't expect, and Chelsea when he took over in 2004 were of a similar profile to Spurs now. In many respects it might be a really good fit for him, particularly as he's actually had a reasonable amount of time away from managing.

cpr

International Coach
He also spunked a serious amount of money up the wall at Chelsea (both times), Utd, Real and even Inter (£120m in 2 seasons, not including Etoo valuation in the Zlatan move). Unless Levy has had a stroke he's going to struggle to get what he wants to build a squad

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a bit harsh to include his first spell at Chelsea in that. The RoI on players like Drogba was fantastic.

Uppercut

It's a bit harsh to include his first spell at Chelsea in that. The RoI on players like Drogba was fantastic.
I assume cpr doesn't really mean "wasted" because his signings were always good-to-excellent before United. His big RM signings were Ozil, Di Maria and Modric ffs.

cpr

International Coach
I was more referring to the fact he had access to money and spent it very freely (sorry, brain has just shut down for the day). I don't think he's had to manage a budget since his Porto days. He'll need to learn IMO.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ozil wasn't even really a big money signing tbh. Not by RM standards at least.

Arsenal spent more on Arshavin than RM did on Ozil, around the same period of time. Mad really.

Last edited:

vcs

Arshavin looked like he was going to be awesome in his first few months, scoring four goals away against Liverpool and generally played well. Also, he looked like a superstar in Euro 2008, just the right age, etc. Was a very exciting signing at the time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Exceptionally talented player tbh. Just a pretty dubious professional in terms of keeping himself... not fat.

D/L

U19 Captain
Mourinho needs almost limitless supplies of money to achieve success. I can't see there being enough of that at Spurs.