• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought they made the right decision. He was affecting De Gea’s view. I’ve always felt like the benefit of the doubt should go to the keeper in those situations.

We were lucky even before that. Everton were the better team.

Uppercut

The **** is going on in the Bundesliga? Why are rude banners about club owners where the players have decided to draw the line?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
VAR strikes again!
Quite correctly in this instance. How is a player sat on his arse directly in front of the keeper not offside?

If you have to move your legs to avoid being hit by the ball, then you're interesting with play.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Quite correctly in this instance. How is a player sat on his arse directly in front of the keeper not offside?

If you have to move your legs to avoid being hit by the ball, then you're interesting with play.
I know it's correct in accordance with the rules, but for me when the ball hits Maguire it changes direction and IMHO that should be a new phase of play. Which would of course make his whereabouts irrelevant.

However, technically VAR got it right. Whether the game really benefits from this sort of thing is another question.

That being said, my only experience with VAR as a fan was away to Watford and it came up trumps for us so can't knock it really. :ph34r:

Uppercut

I know it's correct in accordance with the rules, but for me when the ball hits Maguire it changes direction and IMHO that should be a new phase of play. Which would of course make his whereabouts irrelevant.

However, technically VAR got it right. Whether the game really benefits from this sort of thing is another question.

That being said, my only experience with VAR as a fan was away to Watford and it came up trumps for us so can't knock it really. :ph34r:
Strongly disagree with this. I don't think it would improve the game if a slight deflection allowed players to score from positions that were miles offside. But mostly I just react strongly against it because a lot of amateur league teams wrongly think this how the rule stands now and give refs a lot of unwarranted abuse when it comes up.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

This is one of those times where VAR has worked exactly as it should have though. It's corrected a clear error.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strongly disagree with this. I don't think it would improve the game if a slight deflection allowed players to score from positions that were miles offside. But mostly I just react strongly against it because a lot of amateur league teams wrongly think this how the rule stands now and give refs a lot of unwarranted abuse when it comes up.
Sure but for me the whole direction changes when it hits Maguire. It's hardly a slight deflection. But that's just my opinion and it would open up lots of grey I am sure.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is one of those times where VAR has worked exactly as it should have though. It's corrected a clear error.
Sure, but my view is more on whether we need VAR - or whether it improves the sport.

Goal line technology was sufficient IMO (and outside of play-offs us bottom dwellers don't even have that)

cpr

International Coach
Sure but for me the whole direction changes when it hits Maguire. It's hardly a slight deflection. But that's just my opinion and it would open up lots of grey I am sure.
But he's offside when the ball is played by his teammate, and doesn't return to a legitimate position at any point before or after the ball hits Maguire.
What you're suggesting alluded to the offside rule not applying if you make sure to **** your passes off a defender towards a goalhanging striker. (probably part of the 'lots of grey' bit I didn't see until after I posted this but meh)