• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Australia host the 2018 football World Cup?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have to say that promo video to launch the bid is nice and slick. Comes up super. And of course the bid will only be all the stronger when we romp it in next year....

Matt79

Global Moderator
I dunno if this sounds un-Australian or not, but I kind of don't want the Cup here.

The FIFA World Cup is an event that I always associate it as being Overseas and I'm happy for it to remain that way.
Agreed. Will **** up the real footy season.

Anyway, we don't even have the clout to get the sodding CRICKET WC, how do we expect to get the soccer one?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The government has never agreed to put in tens of millions of dollars into a cricket world cup bid, I dont think its a case of not being given in hosting rights for the cricket WC i think its just something that hasn't happened since 92 because we haven't been that interested.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ind33d

In other news, you should all sign up here, especially the English folk! :p

EDIT: Just noticed a mistake, says we are the first team to qualify, which is incorrect. Emailed them, looking forward to a response.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Timezones will be a massive issue for an Aussie WC bid.
Not insurmountable though. No worse than Japan/Korea, any WC in asia would have a similar problem.

Oh and what's the deal with your avatar. That's not his legs flying off is it? :sick:

Matt79

Global Moderator
What other countries have expressed an interest? My understanding is that the theory that we have a shot is based partially on FIFA plans to ensure that each 'region' gets a WC on a regular basis. I know very little about soccer, but we're now in Asia as I understand it. Doesn't that mean that even if Asia is due to have a WC in either '18 or '22, that we'll be competing against countries like China, India and even Japan again? For all the arguments about why Australia might be a good venue, I can't see us ever being a more attractive proposition financially or in marketing terms than China.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Japan are going for it, that much I know.

70,000 at the MCG tonight couldn't have hurt Australia's chances.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Any speculation on whether China is likely to go for it? Would have thought they'd be keen.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Supposedly the rotational policy for the World Cup is no longer in force. It's likely that one of the tournaments will go to Europe and one elsewhere (given that 10 & 14 are both outside Europe). Depends how FIFA see it really, but USA & Mexico would be in the mix with Australia for the non european cup and it would be foolish to underestimate the influence of Jack Warner, especially if a few backhanders are in the offing

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Any speculation on whether China is likely to go for it? Would have thought they'd be keen.
China are too late. Registrations closed in February.

I'd imagine 2018 is a cert for Europe - it's been 12 years, which I think is the most between any cups in Europe. Fairly sure that's why the rotation policy was abolished, because 20 years outside the finest purpose-built stadiums in the world would be stupid.

That leaves 2022 for somewhere else - I don't think they'll go to Africa again, climate considerations means North Africa is out of the question and the football infrastructure south of the Sahel lacks somewhat. South America is out because Brazil just had it. That leaves Mexico, US and Asia. In Asia the candidates are Japan and Korea - who both just had it - Qatar - with average temperatures above 40 in summer - and Australia. Australia seems the best candidate from a football perspective out of that lot.

Now, Jack Warner - the CONCACAF godfather - is a pretty shrewd chap, so wouldn't put it past him to get the cup back to North America in a horse trade with Europe and Africa, but I'm unsure how much he wants to work for Mexico and the US had it last.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Now, Jack Warner - the CONCACAF godfather - is a pretty shrewd chap, so wouldn't put it past him to get the cup back to North America in a horse trade with Europe and Africa, but I'm unsure how much he wants to work for Mexico and the US had it last.
Not sure shrewd is the word I'd use to describe Warner, but then there are plenty like him, if not so bad, within FIFA

Apparently Mexico is his choice, because his mate Canado is big in tv down there and itll be easier to carry out his usual ticketing scams there than it would be in the USA