• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Australia host the 2018 football World Cup?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pretty sure that Mayor Arnie wants the World Cup in 2018 or 2022 to be staged predominantly in California.

pasag

RTDAS
Japan are going for it, that much I know.

70,000 at the MCG tonight couldn't have hurt Australia's chances.
In the freezing cold as well.

I'm a bit torn about the bid. On the one hand the hype will drive me insane (was unbearable in 06) and it could negatively effect AFL in the long term as well (plus the sport's a bit crap just quietly), but I'd be quite proud, patriotically, if we did win.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon it would be a positive for the NRL, at least in the long term. Sure season 2018 or 2022 would be disrupted, but you'd think they'd be building/upgrading rectangular field stadiums all over the country. Couldn't harm the case for expansion to places like Perth and Adelaide, while places like Canberra Stadium could get a sizeable upgrade.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah good point Ausage re: expansion, but I highly doubt Canberra Raiders would be able to sell out a bigger stadium then what they already have except for possibly a final I guess.

What month would be the best month for Australia to host the World Cup?

October would be great for Aussie, but not so good for the European Leagues..

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah good point Ausage re: expansion, but I highly doubt Canberra Raiders would be able to sell out a bigger stadium then what they already have except for possibly a final I guess.

What month would be the best month for Australia to host the World Cup?

October would be great for Aussie, but not so good for the European Leagues..
The World Cup would be held when it always is July. NRL and AFL have already said they would give sole use of the stadiums to FIFA for the competition.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ah okay. Wasn't aware that it had to be in June/July, even though looking back it always appeared to be.

pasag

RTDAS
The World Cup would be held when it always is July. NRL and AFL have already said they would give sole use of the stadiums to FIFA for the competition.
Yeah I wonder why the AFL did that. They obviously see soccer as a threat (and so they should) and a world cup would propel the A-League right up there with the big boys. Only conclusion I could come to is the negative PR they'd get around the country if it was seen as them that stood in the way of the bid.

ripper868

International Coach
^ greater good etc, there is no denying soccer is the biggest sport in Australia at the junior level, dare say 90% of kids play it before playing one of the Rugby's or afl at about age 10-12. I'd love the WC to come, even if it meant cancellation of Rugby for a month or whatever, would be a massive party. No poms though, they'll just throw chairs and **** once they lose.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AFL/NRL probs wont be complaining about the upgraded facilities they will no doubt be able to take advantage of either should the bid be successful. Can't imagine the facilities would be upgraded so readily for them otherwise.

Simon

I also believe there is a financial windfall for sport in general to be hosting it. Not sure of the AFL's money situation but theres no way the Australian Rugby League could turn down large sums of money that is on offer.

As far as I see AFL would only likely be losing Telstra Dome, MCG, potentially Subiaco (depending on what happens with Perths facilities). So it doesnt seem like a huge deal to them.
League would be likely to lose ANZ Stadium, SFS, Suncorp, Canberra Stadium, Newcastle perhaps, maybe Townsville. Most of the teams that play in these places have suitable alternatives mainly due to lower crowd figures.
The 15k that go and watch Bulldogs vs Panthers at ANZ can easily watch the same game at the Sportsground, Parramatta, SCG. But how does a potentially 50-60k AFL crowd get moved in Melbourne?

pasag

RTDAS
^ greater good etc, there is no denying soccer is the biggest sport in Australia at the junior level, dare say 90% of kids play it before playing one of the Rugby's or afl at about age 10-12. I'd love the WC to come, even if it meant cancellation of Rugby for a month or whatever, would be a massive party. No poms though, they'll just throw chairs and **** once they lose.
There's no way the AFL gives a stuff about the greater good, They're a ruthless organisation who only have rapid expansion and Australian dominance on their minds. But yeah, soccer is massivley popular for kids and having a world cup here would take it to the next level as a spectator sport for 40/50 years to come. It would completley change the entire sporting makeup of the country, IMHO over the long term. The AFL would know this but they'll also know that there's no point in fighting a bid as it'd only be counter-productive.

pasag

RTDAS
I also believe there is a financial windfall for sport in general to be hosting it. Not sure of the AFL's money situation but theres no way the Australian Rugby League could turn down large sums of money that is on offer.

As far as I see AFL would only likely be losing Telstra Dome, MCG, potentially Subiaco (depending on what happens with Perths facilities). So it doesnt seem like a huge deal to them.
League would be likely to lose ANZ Stadium, SFS, Suncorp, Canberra Stadium, Newcastle perhaps, maybe Townsville. Most of the teams that play in these places have suitable alternatives mainly due to lower crowd figures.
The 15k that go and watch Bulldogs vs Panthers at ANZ can easily watch the same game at the Sportsground, Parramatta, SCG. But how does a potentially 50-60k AFL crowd get moved in Melbourne?
Princes Park :cool:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As much as I enjoy the England bashing, you'd probably do well to notice they haven't lost a game in 9 qualifying matches (even if they still have plenty of room for improvement like reports suggest) kinda making you look more fools than England :p

Burgey

As much as I enjoy the England bashing, you'd probably do well to notice they haven't lost a game in 9 qualifying matches (even if they still have plenty of room for improvement like reports suggest) kinda making you look more fools than England :p
Yeah but we're talking about 2018-2022 mate. Even if they pull off a miracle and actually do well for once in 2010, they'll have disappeared back to mediocrity by then.