• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

King Pietersen

International Captain
Pleased to have Rooney back tbh. Don't think he'll start, but is a very solid squad player, brings experience, and it's just nice to have him back from a sentimental point of view. We sold him at our lowest, and him leaving to United got us out of a hole and saved us from bankruptcy, so it's nice to have him back with the club in a completely different position.

Also happy to take the £90m for Lukaku too. Solid profit from that deal.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Avatar bet you he doesn't score 10 non-penalty goals?
Ha no way. He still has a good shot when in the box but needs the ball fed to him now. I don't see how he gets on the field for Everton without a complete turn around that I don't think he can do. I wish him the best I just think the tanks empty.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha no way. He still has a good shot when in the box but needs the ball fed to him now. I don't see how he gets on the field for Everton without a complete turn around that I don't think he can do. I wish him the best I just think the tanks empty.
Haha yeah I thought you might be devil's-advocating.

It's nice that we can finally be sentimental about him, remember the good times and forget his 3-4 years as a turd that wouldn't flush. I suspect KP's sentimentality will fade after about three games of shinned first touches.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't be many more decorated players for United than Rooney?

Giggs, Scholes. G Neville. Any others?

Uppercut

Can't be many more decorated players for United than Rooney?

Giggs, Scholes. G Neville. Any others?
Not too many but we got 5 titles in Rooney's era and 8 in the '93-'03 era, so anyone who was around for a while back then would have him beat. Keane, Beckham, Irwin have about 7 each. Likes of Butt and Solskjaer probably have him beat and there's probably a few randoms like David May who scraped together more.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Got Chelsea in the Check-a-trade farce, may well see Ethan play in it like last year, which attracted Chelsea in the first place.

it's obviously an evil comp, but at least it's giving us a Cornwall-Devon derby, which might be fun.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I won't be attending any of these matches. At some point an U21 team will get to Wembley and they'll be no sod there watching.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Jamie and Louise Rednapp have split up. He's not one of my favourite pundits but if you get married it's what happens whether it be after 19 years or 19 hours.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Don't get this Sigurdsson chase. How hard is it to find a decent attacking midfielder with a good set piece delivery?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Got Chelsea in the Check-a-trade farce, may well see Ethan play in it like last year, which attracted Chelsea in the first place.

it's obviously an evil comp, but at least it's giving us a Cornwall-Devon derby, which might be fun.
At least that is a derby. Our group is by no means local (and then to balls it up further, the Shrewsbury game is at home rather then at the aforementioned Montgomery Waters).

Uppercut

Don't get this Sigurdsson chase. How hard is it to find a decent attacking midfielder with a good set piece delivery?
I love Sigurdsson but he's the most obvious trap out there this summer. Steve Walsh is really getting found out. Even his solid signings like Keane are pretty unimaginative.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's the problem Everton have though, they have serious money, but no more than the other big clubs around, and don't have the ChampionsLeague place or recent history. When Chelsea (and lets face it London is a draw to many anyway) and Man Citeh came into their cash they could just out-spend and they got high quality. Everton though are just not going to get the Agueros of this world IMHO. So they end up paying well over the odds for good-quality but not elite players.

In the end It's Koeman's job to try to make them Top4 and then become a better proposition. Not easy next year TBH.

cpr

International Coach
It was the Pickford deal for me that really makes me worry about them. £30m for a keeper with one decent year in the top flight is a huge amount. People churn out stats like 'most saves in the league' last season, but he was always going to be busy playing infront of Lescott and O'Shea ffs.

He has looked good, and will be an England keeper going forward, but £30m? If this happened at the end of August everyone would deem it a panic buy

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not a great judge of keepers myself but it was a massive problem for them for the last two or three years so it's well worth paying a bit over the odds if it solves it for them long term, so don't have a massive issue with that.

IMO a club like Everton should be trying to make signings that have lots of upside. Like you said they're not going to be able to get obvious top players so they're better off trying to replicate what a club like Monaco have done and sign guys who could be. Not like they're going to get relegated any time soon and the chances of top four are seriously slim with the state of the current top six, so there's little risk. In that sense breaking the wage record for Rooney and transfer record for Sigurdsson is pretty uninspiring.

Uppercut

Yeah, I think Pickford is a fair enough signing. Would have thought they could get a better deal but I guess most prices are huge this summer. But you can see it going really, really well in a way that Sigurdsson and Rooney can't really.

Plus they needed to do something drastic because Robles was beyond terrible.