• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Kind of crazy how much of a financial cluster **** Wenger has put us in. Would never have imagined him doing something like this based on his first 18 years in charge of us.

I mean, can anyone recall a major European club losing two of it's highest value players for nothing in one summer? It's virtually unprecedented.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In a way he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He copped a lot of flak for selling RvP in 2012 when he had a year left.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When he sold RVP it wasn't just that he sold him but that he sold him to a direct rival at a time when Arsenal were still almost title contenders and still playing in the Champions League. Now they're neither of those things and light years behind United.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
When he sold RVP it wasn't just that he sold him but that he sold him to a direct rival at a time when Arsenal were still almost title contenders and still playing in the Champions League. Now they're neither of those things and light years behind United.
Err, I'm not sure about this.

It's interesting how big an impact Arsenal finishing 1 point behind Liverpool for 4th has had on perceptions.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In a way he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He copped a lot of flak for selling RvP in 2012 when he had a year left.
The part of the job he's doing badly is that his best players keep wanting to leave. Contrast with Poch holding onto a bunch of world-class players on wages way below their market value.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Err, I'm not sure about this.

It's interesting how big an impact Arsenal finishing 1 point behind Liverpool for 4th has had on perceptions.
Not sure what that means in connection to my quoted post. Neither Liverpool nor Arsenal are contenders for the PL or CL.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The part of the job he's doing badly is that his best players keep wanting to leave. Contrast with Poch holding onto a bunch of world-class players on wages way below their market value.
Yeah, I'd definitely agree with this.

Pochettino has had Spurs in a title fight over the last couple of seasons though, it's easier to believe that they're a club going somewhere. Although Arsenal finished 2nd in 2015/16 that was down to a late collapse from Spurs, we were never in the title race.

Arsenal have stagnated under Wenger and if I was a young player with a choice, I think I'd honestly pick Spurs.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not sure what that means in connection to my quoted post. Neither Liverpool nor Arsenal are contenders for the PL or CL.
When RVP was sold we'd finished below United for seven consecutive seasons. Now we've finished above them for four consecutive seasons. I'm not sure how you're arguing the landscape has suddenly changed and it's now that we're light years behind United. We've always been outsiders for the title relative to the three richest clubs.

Agree to an extent that he's damned if he sells, damned if he keeps, but he seems to have gone too extreme with his aversion to selling. To the extent that we're keeping squad players for ages and almost never getting good fees for anyone anymore.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When RVP was sold we'd finished below United for seven consecutive seasons. Now we've finished above them for four consecutive seasons. I'm not sure how you're arguing the landscape has suddenly changed and it's now that we're light years behind United. We've always been outsiders for the title relative to the three richest clubs.

Agree to an extent that he's damned if he sells, damned if he keeps, but he seems to have gone too extreme with his aversion to selling. To the extent that we're keeping squad players for ages and almost never getting good fees for anyone anymore.
I’m predicting this season not the previous eleven. I think Utd will be close to the title and Arsenal nowhere near it. Utd are far stronger than they’ve been for years and Arsenal will just fumble along looking at third or fourth at best.
I could be wrong of course. :devil2:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Played our full strength team against Exeter reserves in the chicken aid trophy and got our only decent player injured. Crowd under 4,000 for a Devon derby. 2-2 draw and 5-3 win on penalties. Glad I’m not bothering with this competition. Bring on the dustbin.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Don't think anyone really cares apart from the die hards and mouth-breathers tbh.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. In terms of actual success Arsenal have scarcely achieved more with Ozil and Sanchez than they did with Bendtner and Arshavin.

Buy, sell, whatever. Arsenal have been fairly average for the best part of 15 years now and I doubt whatever he does at this stage will change that now.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The chicken aid trophy continues to give. If Sunderland get relegated to League One they would automatically be in the competition. And because they still have Grade One academy status they could also enter their Under 21's. I wonder if a crowd would actually turn up if they played each other.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
40 years ago today I watched Man Utd play St Etienne in the Cup Winners Cup at Home Park because they had to play the home leg a certain number of miles away from Manchester after crowd trouble at a previous match. I know no one cares but I thought I’d mention it.