cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: England players who have failed to push on

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Depends how you feel about their club performances. Admittedly injuries haven't helped with Ox though.
    Yeah but nonetheless - I think 21 or so is too young to be written off as having not pushed on

Definitely Rooney. To say he didn't have the potential to be a great just because he's a different player to Messi or Ronaldo is rubbish.

He could actually run at people and shoot effectively with either foot from outside the box in the early 2000s. He was strong, not great pace but enough to go past defenders. France's defence couldn't handle him in 2004. When has he ever done that since? His slow motion run in the FA Cup a couple of months ago is about it. He became more of a finisher and lost the ability to terrorise defences.

Ronaldo and Bale both developed to be great in the air, they developed their ball striking - long range and free kicks. No reason Rooney couldn't have done those things. Instead his first touch has remained atrocious, he's got slower and slower, his long range shooting next to nonexistent now.
    andruid likes this.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Everyone since 1966.
    Tangles likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

ďThe modern conservative is engaged in one of manís oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Definitely Rooney. To say he didn't have the potential to be a great just because he's a different player to Messi or Ronaldo is rubbish.

He could actually run at people and shoot effectively with either foot from outside the box in the early 2000s. He was strong, not great pace but enough to go past defenders. France's defence couldn't handle him in 2004. When has he ever done that since? His slow motion run in the FA Cup a couple of months ago is about it. He became more of a finisher and lost the ability to terrorise defences.

Ronaldo and Bale both developed to be great in the air, they developed their ball striking - long range and free kicks. No reason Rooney couldn't have done those things. Instead his first touch has remained atrocious, he's got slower and slower, his long range shooting next to nonexistent now.
    I'm goig to split hairs and say Ronaldo's heading ability was already mostly developed even when he was coming out of his teens (See the Carling Cup Final header against Cardiff City). His being used as a winger in The United system just minimized his opportunities to deploy it on a regular basis
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I have heard it said that Chuck Norris' googly would literally break legs.

International Regular S.Kennedy's Avatar
    I distinctly remember Rooney being talked of in the same bracket Messi and Ronald in the mid 00s which seems laughable now. He actually probably was ahead of Ronaldo at one stage; Rooney seemed to peak early (and in a Manchester shirt) then just go backwards to a basically incredibly average player.
    He (Alastair Cook) and his family are very much the sort of people we want the England captain and his family to be
    Giles Clark
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Can we talk about Kieran Richardson yet?

International Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post

2004 Rooney was absolutely unreal. One of the most exciting young talents I've ever seen, he had everything. Felt like something was going to happen everytime he picked the ball up.

Ravel Morrison has to be included here. Everyone that's managed him says he's one of the most naturally gifted talents they've seen, yet constant off the field issues and lack of professionalism have plagued him wherever he's been. Such a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome..its a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Everyone since 1966.
    Timeless post.

Think Stones is holding his hand up now. Really looked the business for the Toffees at the tail end of 15/16, like a Rio Ferdinand with actual spatial awareness, but seems really pedestrian just now.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"this was Argentinaís heaviest defeat in the group stage of a World Cup since losing 6-1 to Czechoslovakia in 1958. It is also the first time they have failed to win either of their opening two matches at a World Cup for 44 years. Sampaoliís players, in other words, were creating history here" - The Guardian's Stuart James on Croatia's 3-0 dicking of the South Americans

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Think Stones is holding his hand up now. Really looked the business for the Toffees at the tail end of 15/16, like a Rio Ferdinand with actual spatial awareness, but seems really pedestrian just now.
    TBH I'd have said the literal opposite. I think 15/16 was probably his worst season, in and out of one of the league's worst defences, whereas this season's he's looked quite good (as opposed to just "clearly has potential") for the first time.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Been an Arsenal fan my whole life, and when Wenger signed Walcott I honestly thought we had another Henry on our hands. Oh how wrong I was. He literally just had pace. I say "had" because I don't think he even has that going for him now.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Out of a passing discussion in one of the euros threads; English players who were highly rated in their teens and/or early twenties, but have signally failed to develop.

Pretty much every English player since Shearer.

Edit: ah damn, beaten to it by Burge, sort of.
    Last edited by sledger; 13-10-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahseph View Post
    Been an Arsenal fan my whole life, and when Wenger signed Walcott I honestly thought we had another Henry on our hands. Oh how wrong I was. He literally just had pace. I say "had" because I don't think he even has that going for him now.
    Why on earth would you have thought that?

Harry Kane just does not fit does he? Never really hyped but has pushed on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Why on earth would you have thought that?
    His goal in the 2006 (?) League Cup Final was pure Henry.
    Last edited by Furball; 13-10-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information